Posted to uk.d-i-y
Robert Laws Robert Laws is offline

Default Damage to party wall

On Feb 27, 5:31 pm, "Sylvain VAN DER WALDE"
wrote:
Hello all.

Major work is being carried out in the house next door. While doing work on
their wall, to receive a steel girder (I believe), some damage was done to
mine. This was caused by _heavy_ hammering.
Now, is it the preferred way to use a hammer on _a party wall_, or should an
SDS drill (or something similar, and more gentle and precise) have been
used.
This work was being carried out by a young foreigner, without immediate
supervision.
Was that wise? I would appreciate comments on this.
Luckily I was in the room when the plaster started coming off the wall (it's
actually a little more serious than that), and I was able to stop the work
before further damage was done.

I'm not sure of the situation with leasehold flats, but for houses
there would need to be a party wall agreement signed before your
neighbour can do any works affecting the party wall.

Robert