Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE Sylvain VAN DER WALDE is offline

Default Damage to party wall

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
"Sylvain VAN DER WALDE" writes:
Hello all.

Major work is being carried out in the house next door. While doing work
on
their wall, to receive a steel girder (I believe), some damage was done
mine. This was caused by _heavy_ hammering.
Now, is it the preferred way to use a hammer on _a party wall_, or should
an
SDS drill (or something similar, and more gentle and precise) have been
used.
This work was being carried out by a young foreigner, without immediate
supervision.
Was that wise? I would appreciate comments on this.
Luckily I was in the room when the plaster started coming off the wall
(it's
actually a little more serious than that), and I was able to stop the
work
before further damage was done.

You probably need to contact the BCO as a matter of urgency,
and get a structural surveyor to inspect and say if the building
is still safe to occupy (BCO might do this). I don't know what
the procedure is to stop further work until said inspection, and
supervision is in place, but the BCO or someone else here might know.

As I told Owain, I've informed my estate manager (I own a leasehold flat). I
did get the work stopped, and I hope to see the person in charge of the
works. The damage is not as bad as you appear to believe, and I'm sorry if I
didn't make this quite clear (It's not the sort of damage I can ignore,
though).

P.S. What does BCO stand for? And where/how can they be reached?

Thanks.

Sylvain.

--
Andrew Gabriel