Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE Sylvain VAN DER WALDE is offline

Default Damage to party wall FEEDBACK

"Robert Laws" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Feb 27, 5:31 pm, "Sylvain VAN DER WALDE"
wrote:
Hello all.

Major work is being carried out in the house next door. While doing work
on
their wall, to receive a steel girder (I believe), some damage was done
mine. This was caused by _heavy_ hammering.
Now, is it the preferred way to use a hammer on _a party wall_, or should
an
SDS drill (or something similar, and more gentle and precise) have been
used.
This work was being carried out by a young foreigner, without immediate
supervision.
Was that wise? I would appreciate comments on this.
Luckily I was in the room when the plaster started coming off the wall
(it's
actually a little more serious than that), and I was able to stop the
work
before further damage was done.

I'm not sure of the situation with leasehold flats, but for houses
there would need to be a party wall agreement signed before your
neighbour can do any works affecting the party wall.

I've looked at the Party Wall Act. It does apply to leasehold flats, but is
not mandatory (there is no penalty as such for not issuing one). However, if
there is a dispute, it will not be in their favour not to have done so.

This morning, the supervisor (foreman) resumed the work and did some more
damage to my wall. I remonstrated with him, and he got the architect to come
and see me. We had a satisfactory chat. I can hear that an SDS drill (I
believe) is now being used. He has assured me that all damage will be put
right.

Sylvain.

Robert