Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE Sylvain VAN DER WALDE is offline

Default Damage to party wall

"Owain" wrote in message
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE wrote:
Major work is being carried out in the house next door. While doing work
on their wall, to receive a steel girder (I believe), some damage was
done to mine. This was caused by _heavy_ hammering.
Now, is it the preferred way to use a hammer on _a party wall_, or should
an SDS drill (or something similar, and more gentle and precise) have
been used.
This work was being carried out by a young foreigner, without immediate
supervision.
Was that wise? I would appreciate comments on this.
Luckily I was in the room when the plaster started coming off the wall
(it's actually a little more serious than that), and I was able to stop
the work before further damage was done.

It doesn't matter *how* it was done; your wall's falling down because of
their work (whether done correctly or not) so they should make good and,
in the meantime, you should withdrawn consent to further work on the party
wall.

I didn't say that the wall was falling down.

You haven't answered my question/s, but thanks all the same. I'm a
leaseholder (I own a flat), and I've informed the estate manager; so it's
now in his hands.
But I've reason not to trust him. So I want as much information as I can
get.

Sylvain.

Owain