Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The legalities of putting sharp and pointy things on the top of walls/gates

Ive recently had trouble with people (kids as far as i know) coming
into my back garden and causing trouble. My house backs onto a council
garage area and my drive (to the rear) is currently open to the road
and the rest of the garden only had a 3 foot wall round it.

I have now just about finished enlarging the wall to 6 foot and am
about to make some big gates.

If i wanted to put something sharp spikey and painful on the top of my
wall or gates where do i stand? Are there any legalities involved in
this?

I dont want to get in trouble because some little scrote cut his hands
open trying to climb over my wall.

Can I just do as i like?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

getting into trouble will be exactly what will happen,you could use anti
vandal paint it never sets used extensively by councils

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 00:19:03 -0000, "Alex" wrote:

getting into trouble will be exactly what will happen,you could use anti
vandal paint it never sets used extensively by councils

There seem to be plenty of commercial premises that i pass that have
broken glass set in the top of the wall or barbed wire ontop of the
fences, and that galvanised metal fencing with the 3 pronged sharp
tops looks pretty nasty and is fairly common.

Since i've spent every evening for the last 2 weeks at home sitting
watching the garden incase they come back and i get more footprints on
the car roof I would almost be prepared to get in trouble so i could
relax or go out for the night.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

To somewhat answer my own question:

http://www.primrose-london.co.uk/fen...rip-p-365.html

a cat deterrant that also deters humans.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tom Woods" wrote:
Ive recently had trouble with people (kids as far as i know) coming
into my back garden and causing trouble. My house backs onto a council
garage area and my drive (to the rear) is currently open to the road
and the rest of the garden only had a 3 foot wall round it.

I have now just about finished enlarging the wall to 6 foot and am
about to make some big gates.

If i wanted to put something sharp spikey and painful on the top of my
wall or gates where do i stand? Are there any legalities involved in
this?

I dont want to get in trouble because some little scrote cut his hands
open trying to climb over my wall.

Can I just do as i like?

"Protecting against Trespassers. Traditionally owners have put deterrents
to trespassers on their wall or fence and if it is a party wall just on
their side. You will often have seen spikes or broken glass or barbed wire
on the top of walls. However, if the wall/fence borders the public highway,
then the local authority has powers to protect the public by having the
deterrent removed if it thinks it could cause a danger to highway users. If
the deterrents causes a nuisance or by your negligence injures a passer by,
then they may be able to sue you. Err on the side of caution because if the
deterrent is considered to be excessive you could open yourself up to a
criminal prosecution for an injury caused." Source:
http://www.gardenlaw.co.uk/walls.html. Also ask in uk.legal.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 00:32:55 +0000, Tom Woods
wrote:

|!On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 00:19:03 -0000, "Alex" wrote:
|!
|!getting into trouble will be exactly what will happen,you could use anti
|!vandal paint it never sets used extensively by councils
|!
|!
|!There seem to be plenty of commercial premises that i pass that have
|!broken glass set in the top of the wall or barbed wire ontop of the
|!fences, and that galvanised metal fencing with the 3 pronged sharp
|!tops looks pretty nasty and is fairly common.
|!
|!Since i've spent every evening for the last 2 weeks at home sitting
|!watching the garden incase they come back and i get more footprints on
|!the car roof I would almost be prepared to get in trouble so i could
|!relax or go out for the night.

I have seen new razor wire, round commercial premises, seriously dangerous.

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
20,000 free e-books at Project Gutenberg! http://www.gutenberg.org
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 00:37:52 +0000, Tom Woods
wrote:

|!To somewhat answer my own question:
|!
|!http://www.primrose-london.co.uk/fen...rip-p-365.html
|!
|!a cat deterrant that also deters humans.

Any self respecting cat would carefully put its paws *between* the spikes.
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
20,000 free e-books at Project Gutenberg! http://www.gutenberg.org
For Yorkshire Dialect go to www.hyphenologist.co.uk/songs/
http://www.gutenberg.org/author/John_Hartley
http://www.gutenberg.org/author/F_W_Moorman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Fawthrop wrote:

I have seen new razor wire, round commercial premises, seriously
dangerous.

Yes there is one in town here. I wondered how
they were able to get away with putting up such
a dangerous mantrap and was told that one of the
conditions was a 24/7 guard on the premises,
with cctv monitoring all such fences.

--
Tony Williams.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tom Woods" wrote in message
Ive recently had trouble with people (kids as far as i know) coming
into my back garden and causing trouble. My house backs onto a council
garage area and my drive (to the rear) is currently open to the road
and the rest of the garden only had a 3 foot wall round it.

I have now just about finished enlarging the wall to 6 foot and am
about to make some big gates.

If i wanted to put something sharp spikey and painful on the top of my
wall or gates where do i stand? Are there any legalities involved in
this?

I dont want to get in trouble because some little scrote cut his hands
open trying to climb over my wall.

Can I just do as i like?

Anything that could cause injury or harm to a passer-by is illegal. That is
generally taken to mean anything that could cause injury or harm and is not
at least 2.5m above ground level. Anything that is at least 2.5m above
ground level will be illegal if designed or intended to act as a trap.
Anti-climb paint would normally not count as a trap, but barbed wire might.
However, as you can't put up a wall or fence more than 2m (or 1m if it faces
a highway) high you would need planning permission to put the deterrents up
that high.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 08:18:00 -0000 someone who may be "nightjar"
nightjar@insert my surname here.uk.com wrote this:-

Anything that could cause injury or harm to a passer-by is illegal. That is
generally taken to mean anything that could cause injury or harm and is not
at least 2.5m above ground level. Anything that is at least 2.5m above
ground level will be illegal if designed or intended to act as a trap.

Ah, so fish ponds and plants with spikes are illegal.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 08:18:00 -0000, "nightjar" nightjar@insert my surname
here.uk.com wrote:

|!
|!"Tom Woods" wrote in message
. ..
|! Ive recently had trouble with people (kids as far as i know) coming
|! into my back garden and causing trouble. My house backs onto a council
|! garage area and my drive (to the rear) is currently open to the road
|! and the rest of the garden only had a 3 foot wall round it.
|!
|! I have now just about finished enlarging the wall to 6 foot and am
|! about to make some big gates.
|!
|! If i wanted to put something sharp spikey and painful on the top of my
|! wall or gates where do i stand? Are there any legalities involved in
|! this?
|!
|! I dont want to get in trouble because some little scrote cut his hands
|! open trying to climb over my wall.
|!
|! Can I just do as i like?
|!
|!Anything that could cause injury or harm to a passer-by is illegal. That is
|!generally taken to mean anything that could cause injury or harm and is not
|!at least 2.5m above ground level. Anything that is at least 2.5m above
|!ground level will be illegal if designed or intended to act as a trap.
|!Anti-climb paint would normally not count as a trap, but barbed wire might.
|!However, as you can't put up a wall or fence more than 2m (or 1m if it faces
|!a highway) high you would need planning permission to put the deterrents up
|!that high.

Farmers still put barbed wire next to a public footpath at less than 1 m
high. Maybe ordinary barbed wire has an exemption. IANAL
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
20,000 free e-books at Project Gutenberg! http://www.gutenberg.org
For Yorkshire Dialect go to www.hyphenologist.co.uk/songs/
http://www.gutenberg.org/author/John_Hartley
http://www.gutenberg.org/author/F_W_Moorman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tom Woods wrote:
If i wanted to put something sharp spikey and painful on the top of my
wall or gates where do i stand? Are there any legalities involved in
this?

I dont want to get in trouble because some little scrote cut his hands
open trying to climb over my wall.

It would seem you're ok to put a visible spikey top of some kind - barbed
wire or those rotating types are seen everywhere on industrial premises.
What would be dodgy is broken glass etc which isn't visible from the
ground.

--
*Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 08:35:31 +0000, David Hansen
wrote:

|!On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 08:18:00 -0000 someone who may be "nightjar"
|!nightjar@insert my surname here.uk.com wrote this:-
|!
|!Anything that could cause injury or harm to a passer-by is illegal. That is
|!generally taken to mean anything that could cause injury or harm and is not
|!at least 2.5m above ground level. Anything that is at least 2.5m above
|!ground level will be illegal if designed or intended to act as a trap.
|!
|!Ah, so fish ponds and plants with spikes are illegal.

I am about to plant prickly species roses and a border ?marker? Perhaps OP
should consider replacing the wall with prickly roses, or adding a row of
other prickly plants inside the wall. They are garden plants officer ;-)
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
20,000 free e-books at Project Gutenberg! http://www.gutenberg.org
For Yorkshire Dialect go to www.hyphenologist.co.uk/songs/
http://www.gutenberg.org/author/John_Hartley
http://www.gutenberg.org/author/F_W_Moorman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

|!To somewhat answer my own question:
|!
|!http://www.primrose-london.co.uk/fen...rip-p-365.html
|!
|!a cat deterrant that also deters humans.

Any self respecting cat would carefully put its paws *between* the spikes.

yeah, im not sure it would stop a cat (I dont mind the cats in my
garden anyhow!), but it looks like it might put a person off.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

|!On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 08:18:00 -0000 someone who may be "nightjar"
|!nightjar@insert my surname here.uk.com wrote this:-
|!
|!Anything that could cause injury or harm to a passer-by is illegal. That is
|!generally taken to mean anything that could cause injury or harm and is not
|!at least 2.5m above ground level. Anything that is at least 2.5m above
|!ground level will be illegal if designed or intended to act as a trap.
|!
|!Ah, so fish ponds and plants with spikes are illegal.

I am about to plant prickly species roses and a border ?marker? Perhaps OP
should consider replacing the wall with prickly roses, or adding a row of
other prickly plants inside the wall. They are garden plants officer ;-)

I would prefer a hedge to a wall - but the wall is much more
'immediate'!.

I am wondering if there are any climbing plants i can grow over the
top of it that are spikey or unpleasant in some way?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 09:22:01 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Tom Woods wrote:
If i wanted to put something sharp spikey and painful on the top of my
wall or gates where do i stand? Are there any legalities involved in
this?

I dont want to get in trouble because some little scrote cut his hands
open trying to climb over my wall.

It would seem you're ok to put a visible spikey top of some kind - barbed
wire or those rotating types are seen everywhere on industrial premises.
What would be dodgy is broken glass etc which isn't visible from the
ground.

Yeah - until the day when one of them actually tries it, then I think
I may just either stick with the bare wall (and hope that the 6 foot
drop puts them off) or maybe run just a line of normal barbed wire
along the top.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tom Woods wrote:
Ive recently had trouble with people (kids as far as i know) coming
into my back garden and causing trouble. My house backs onto a council
garage area and my drive (to the rear) is currently open to the road
and the rest of the garden only had a 3 foot wall round it.

I have now just about finished enlarging the wall to 6 foot and am
about to make some big gates.

If i wanted to put something sharp spikey and painful on the top of my
wall or gates where do i stand? Are there any legalities involved in
this?

I dont want to get in trouble because some little scrote cut his hands
open trying to climb over my wall.

Can I just do as i like?.

Grow Pyracantha up your wall. It looks good, grows fast and like it's
popular name (fire thorn) suggests, is really very, very painful when
it's thorns prick your skin. I can personally testify to that

http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/plants/pyracantha/1003352/

If it is within your boundaries I can't see it being a problem. Not sure
about the gate. maybe smear the top of it with anti vandal paint. Just
make sure it is above the minimuk height and the signs are displayed.

http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/SE...NDAL_PAINT.htm

Let us know what happens.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tom Woods wrote:
[...]

make sure it is above the minimu height and the signs are displayed.

http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/SE...NDAL_PAINT.htm

Let us know what happens.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
|!
|!|!On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 08:18:00 -0000 someone who may be "nightjar"
|!|!nightjar@insert my surname here.uk.com wrote this:-
|!|!
|!|!Anything that could cause injury or harm to a passer-by is illegal. That is
|!|!generally taken to mean anything that could cause injury or harm and is not
|!|!at least 2.5m above ground level. Anything that is at least 2.5m above
|!|!ground level will be illegal if designed or intended to act as a trap.
|!|!
|!|!Ah, so fish ponds and plants with spikes are illegal.
|!
|!I am about to plant prickly species roses and a border ?marker? Perhaps OP
|!should consider replacing the wall with prickly roses, or adding a row of
|!other prickly plants inside the wall. They are garden plants officer ;-)
|!
|!I would prefer a hedge to a wall - but the wall is much more
|!'immediate'!.
|!
|!I am wondering if there are any climbing plants i can grow over the
|!top of it that are spikey or unpleasant in some way?

Brambles?
No *not* brambles they are a weed in gardens, and impossible to eradicate
:-(
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
20,000 free e-books at Project Gutenberg! http://www.gutenberg.org
For Yorkshire Dialect go to www.hyphenologist.co.uk/songs/
http://www.gutenberg.org/author/John_Hartley
http://www.gutenberg.org/author/F_W_Moorman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"News Groups" ? wrote:

"Tom Woods" wrote:
[...]

10 years ago, when I lodged with someone on a council estate, the local plod
advised him that some carpet gripper strip (the pointy metal ones) nailed
along the top of the fence might be helpful. It worked. Along with the
barbed wire and broken milk bottles in the hedge. It wasn't a dangerous
estate, in fact most people were quite nice. But there were a *lot* of
pikey kids.

Cheers

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David Hansen" wrote in message
On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 08:18:00 -0000 someone who may be "nightjar"
nightjar@insert my surname here.uk.com wrote this:-

Anything that could cause injury or harm to a passer-by is illegal. That
is
generally taken to mean anything that could cause injury or harm and is
not
at least 2.5m above ground level. Anything that is at least 2.5m above
ground level will be illegal if designed or intended to act as a trap.

Ah, so fish ponds and plants with spikes are illegal.

If intended as a trap, they would be. A purely decorative wall covering of
Albertine rose would not.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tom Woods" wrote in message
I am wondering if there are any climbing plants i can grow over the
top of it that are spikey or unpleasant in some way?

I have used Albertine rose. It is a very fast climber and has huge thorns.
The main problem, from a gardening point of view, is that, being an older
species, it is prone to plant diseases and has a relatively short period of
flowering. Firethorn is also recommended for planting inside the wall, while
Hawthorne makes good, relatively fast growing hedges.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tom Woods" wrote in message
Ive recently had trouble with people (kids as far as i know) coming
into my back garden and causing trouble. My house backs onto a council
garage area and my drive (to the rear) is currently open to the road
and the rest of the garden only had a 3 foot wall round it.

I have now just about finished enlarging the wall to 6 foot and am
about to make some big gates.

If i wanted to put something sharp spikey and painful on the top of my
wall or gates where do i stand? Are there any legalities involved in
this?

I dont want to get in trouble because some little scrote cut his hands
open trying to climb over my wall.

Can I just do as i like?

My rear room window looks out on a small industrial estate (on the other
side of the road). It's owned by the local council.
Recently (maybe one year ago), some "spikey things" were fitted to the front
gates. I can only assume that if the council allowed this to be done, that
it must be alright.
A few other local private houses have also done this.
If I was in your place, I would just go ahead with it.

Sylvain.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Fawthrop" wrote in message
Farmers still put barbed wire next to a public footpath at less than 1 m
high. Maybe ordinary barbed wire has an exemption. IANAL

I think it is because it is an accepted agricultural use, which people
should expect. However, I suspect the farmer would be on uncertain ground if
it were a purely arable farm.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Fawthrop" wrote

Farmers still put barbed wire next to a public footpath at less than 1 m
high. Maybe ordinary barbed wire has an exemption. IANAL
--

AIUI you are allowed to use barbed wire to keep in or out livestock. Arguing
that your cat is livestock and hence the razor wire along your fence is

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tom Woods wrote:

Ive recently had trouble with people (kids as far as i know) coming
into my back garden and causing trouble. My house backs onto a council
garage area and my drive (to the rear) is currently open to the road
and the rest of the garden only had a 3 foot wall round it.

I have now just about finished enlarging the wall to 6 foot and am
about to make some big gates.

If i wanted to put something sharp spikey and painful on the top of my
wall or gates where do i stand? Are there any legalities involved in
this?

I dont want to get in trouble because some little scrote cut his hands
open trying to climb over my wall.

Can I just do as i like?

When this was happening to me, I phoned the free legal help line that
operated under my house insurance, explained to them what was
happening, and said I was thinking of putting grease along the top of
the wall - they said that would be OK.

I then put a nice thick layer of molyslip grease along the wall, and
the subsequent events were a joy to behold....and they stopped coming
over after that.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 09:55:40 +0000, Rob Horton
wrote:

Grow Pyracantha up your wall. It looks good, grows fast and like it's
popular name (fire thorn) suggests, is really very, very painful when
it's thorns prick your skin. I can personally testify to that

http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/plants/pyracantha/1003352/

I will look into pyracantha. There are currently some very stunted (im
amazed they are even alive since the soil is more like clay and full
of big rocks!) rhodedendrums along the inside of the wall. I was going
to move those and fit trellis or similar up the inside of the wall so
i get to look at something nice.

If it is within your boundaries I can't see it being a problem. Not sure
about the gate. maybe smear the top of it with anti vandal paint. Just
make sure it is above the minimuk height and the signs are displayed.

http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/SE...NDAL_PAINT.htm

Let us know what happens.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 10:05:05 +0000, Tim S wrote:

10 years ago, when I lodged with someone on a council estate, the local plod
advised him that some carpet gripper strip (the pointy metal ones) nailed
along the top of the fence might be helpful. It worked. Along with the
barbed wire and broken milk bottles in the hedge. It wasn't a dangerous
estate, in fact most people were quite nice. But there were a *lot* of
pikey kids.

My part of the estate (I live right at the edge) is nice and the
neighbours and everyone ive met seem nice. However a couple of roads
over it isnt so nice.

As far as we can tell is is just a couple of famalies worth of 14-18
year olds causing the trouble (famalies whose parents are already
known by the police who have come out to us).
Because the council garages are 'behind' my house they are fairly
secluded and not that visible (there are only 3 or 4 of us who really
back onto them - the other houses back onto them over a 20ft drop!),
so they seem to congregate there. I have only had trouble in my garden
when ive been out in the evening (next door have called the police).
unfortunately the little buggers are able to count so can tell when
one of my cars isnt there and thuis i am out.

I will soon have quite a bit of spare carpet gripper! That might work
quite well alont the top of the wall!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Tom Woods
writes
On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 07:30:59 +0000, Dave Fawthrop
wrote:

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 00:37:52 +0000, Tom Woods news@NOPSAMtomwoods

.co.uk
wrote:

|!To somewhat answer my own question:
|!
|!http://www.primrose-london.co.uk/fen...rikka-strip-p-

365.html
|!
|!a cat deterrant that also deters humans.

Any self respecting cat would carefully put its paws *between* the spikes.

yeah, im not sure it would stop a cat (I dont mind the cats in my
garden anyhow!), but it looks like it might put a person off.

Other than prickly vegetation the prickler strips are about as much as you
can do legally, anything sharper would leave you liable for injury. The
anticlimb paint would leave you liable for any damage to clothing whether it
be from climbing or just someone reaching up, touching the paint/grease
and then wiping their hands on their clothing.

Think about what kids or other people might reasonably attempt and
consider if what might occur as a result of your precautions was
reasonable. eg. Ball kicked into your garden, kid or other attempts to climb
in to recover and are either injured or their clothing is damaged. If either
occurs as a result of your precautions that would be you will be liable.

The single stand of barbed wire you mention would fall foul if hidden and
would be pretty ugly if visible. I would also be pretty easy to avoid as a
hand will fit easily within the barbs. The prickle strip would probably be
more effective and the price from the Primrose site is the best I have seen.

HTH
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Grow Pyracantha up your wall. It looks good, grows fast and like it's
popular name (fire thorn) suggests, is really very, very painful when
it's thorns prick your skin. I can personally testify to that

http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/plants/pyracantha/1003352/

I will look into pyracantha. There are currently some very stunted (im
amazed they are even alive since the soil is more like clay and full
of big rocks!) rhodedendrums along the inside of the wall. I was going
to move those and fit trellis or similar up the inside of the wall so
i get to look at something nice.

Get a few sacks of horse s**t from the local stables and make yourself
a compost heap at the bottom of the wall. Gives the scrotes something
soft to land in (LOL!) and can be used to improve the soil too.

Get some prickly hedge trimmings and add them to the compost heap and
there's a good chance they'll draw blood and give them a nasty
infection.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"nightjar" nightjar@insert my surname here.uk.com wrote:

at least 2.5m above ground level. Anything that is at least 2.5m above
ground level will be illegal if designed or intended to act as a trap.

Ah, so fish ponds and plants with spikes are illegal.

If intended as a trap, they would be. A purely decorative wall covering of
Albertine rose would not.

Colin Bignell

A fish pond intended as a trap...?! Who's your neighbour - Ernst Stavro
Blofeld?

To the original poster - Have you contacted the Anti-Social Behaviour
unit of your local council? Some of them have a proactive attitude and,
if enough people complain often enough, something may get done. It's
also worth finding out if you have a community constable who might be
collecting evidence on the local troublemakers. Again, if they collect
enough complaints, it sometimes forces action.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

|!On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 08:18:00 -0000 someone who may be "nightjar"
|!nightjar@insert my surname here.uk.com wrote this:-
|!
|!Anything that could cause injury or harm to a passer-by is illegal. That is
|!generally taken to mean anything that could cause injury or harm and is not
|!at least 2.5m above ground level. Anything that is at least 2.5m above
|!ground level will be illegal if designed or intended to act as a trap.
|!
|!Ah, so fish ponds and plants with spikes are illegal.

I am about to plant prickly species roses and a border ?marker? Perhaps OP
should consider replacing the wall with prickly roses, or adding a row of
other prickly plants inside the wall. They are garden plants officer ;-)

I would prefer a hedge to a wall - but the wall is much more
'immediate'!.

I am wondering if there are any climbing plants i can grow over the
top of it that are spikey or unpleasant in some way?

Lots. Brambles spring to mind.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19 Feb 2007 03:43:05 -0800 someone who may be
" wrote this:-

Get a few sacks of horse s**t from the local stables and make yourself
a compost heap at the bottom of the wall. Gives the scrotes something
soft to land in (LOL!) and can be used to improve the soil too.

How do "scrotes" improve the soil? Do they have to be well dug in?

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 10:22:30 +0000 someone who may be Terry Fields
wrote this:-

I then put a nice thick layer of molyslip grease along the wall, and
the subsequent events were a joy to behold....

Don't leave us in suspense. What were these events?

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

" wrote this:-

Get a few sacks of horse s**t from the local stables and make yourself
a compost heap at the bottom of the wall. Gives the scrotes something
soft to land in (LOL!) and can be used to improve the soil too.

How do "scrotes" improve the soil? Do they have to be well dug in?

At least 6ft under. Putting their heads on spikes on the fence acts as
a deterrent for future infestations.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 00:08:17 +0000, Tom Woods wrote:

Ive recently had trouble with people (kids as far as i know) coming
into my back garden and causing trouble. My house backs onto a council
garage area and my drive (to the rear) is currently open to the road
and the rest of the garden only had a 3 foot wall round it.

I have now just about finished enlarging the wall to 6 foot and am
about to make some big gates.

If i wanted to put something sharp spikey and painful on the top of my
wall or gates where do i stand? Are there any legalities involved in
this?

I dont want to get in trouble because some little scrote cut his hands
open trying to climb over my wall.

Can I just do as i like?

As others say, not exactly. What no-one else has mentioned is 'prickler'
strips (or whatever they're called) of sharp plastic pyramid-shaped spikes
which claim to be sharp enough to deter climbing but not to injure. I've
seen them at a local builders merchants and they do feel as if you
wouldn't like to put much pressure on them. They should cover you legally
since you're patently setting out to obtain reasonable protection of
your property without causing injury to would-be trespassers. Whether they
stop the kids depends on how much incentive there is for them to get in I
suppose.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 12:04:57 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

|!Tom Woods wrote:
|! On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 09:22:11 +0000, Dave Fawthrop
|! wrote:
|!
|! On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 08:35:31 +0000, David Hansen
|! wrote:
|!
|! |!On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 08:18:00 -0000 someone who may be "nightjar"
|! |!nightjar@insert my surname here.uk.com wrote this:-
|! |!
|! |!Anything that could cause injury or harm to a passer-by is illegal. That is
|! |!generally taken to mean anything that could cause injury or harm and is not
|! |!at least 2.5m above ground level. Anything that is at least 2.5m above
|! |!ground level will be illegal if designed or intended to act as a trap.
|! |!
|! |!Ah, so fish ponds and plants with spikes are illegal.
|!
|! I am about to plant prickly species roses and a border ?marker? Perhaps OP
|! should consider replacing the wall with prickly roses, or adding a row of
|! other prickly plants inside the wall. They are garden plants officer ;-)
|!
|! I would prefer a hedge to a wall - but the wall is much more
|! 'immediate'!.
|!
|! I am wondering if there are any climbing plants i can grow over the
|! top of it that are spikey or unpleasant in some way?
|!
|!Lots. Brambles spring to mind.

No not brambles they are *weeds* and almost impossible to kill.
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
20,000 free e-books at Project Gutenberg! http://www.gutenberg.org
For Yorkshire Dialect go to www.hyphenologist.co.uk/songs/
http://www.gutenberg.org/author/John_Hartley
http://www.gutenberg.org/author/F_W_Moorman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/02/2007 12:21, John Stumbles wrote:

What no-one else has mentioned is 'prickler' strips

The OP suggested them himself about half an hour later (3rd direct reply
here, propagation may vary)

The retailers seem to suggest using a warning notice with it
http://www.primrose-london.co.uk/ima...ka_warning.jpg
Posted to uk.d-i-y

" wrote this:-

Get a few sacks of horse s**t from the local stables and make yourself
a compost heap at the bottom of the wall. Gives the scrotes something
soft to land in (LOL!) and can be used to improve the soil too.

How do "scrotes" improve the soil? Do they have to be well dug in?

You need the right sort of compost bin
http://eclectech.co.uk/compostbin.php

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Fawthrop wrote:
On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 12:04:57 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

|!
|!Lots. Brambles spring to mind.

No not brambles they are *weeds* and almost impossible to kill.

Like Chavs?