Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar nightjar is offline

Default The legalities of putting sharp and pointy things on the top of walls/gates

"Tom Woods" wrote in message
Ive recently had trouble with people (kids as far as i know) coming
into my back garden and causing trouble. My house backs onto a council
garage area and my drive (to the rear) is currently open to the road
and the rest of the garden only had a 3 foot wall round it.

I have now just about finished enlarging the wall to 6 foot and am
about to make some big gates.

If i wanted to put something sharp spikey and painful on the top of my
wall or gates where do i stand? Are there any legalities involved in
this?

I dont want to get in trouble because some little scrote cut his hands
open trying to climb over my wall.

Can I just do as i like?

Anything that could cause injury or harm to a passer-by is illegal. That is
generally taken to mean anything that could cause injury or harm and is not
at least 2.5m above ground level. Anything that is at least 2.5m above
ground level will be illegal if designed or intended to act as a trap.
Anti-climb paint would normally not count as a trap, but barbed wire might.
However, as you can't put up a wall or fence more than 2m (or 1m if it faces
a highway) high you would need planning permission to put the deterrents up
that high.

Colin Bignell