Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tom Woods Tom Woods is offline

Default The legalities of putting sharp and pointy things on the top of walls/gates

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 10:05:05 +0000, Tim S wrote:

10 years ago, when I lodged with someone on a council estate, the local plod
advised him that some carpet gripper strip (the pointy metal ones) nailed
along the top of the fence might be helpful. It worked. Along with the
barbed wire and broken milk bottles in the hedge. It wasn't a dangerous
estate, in fact most people were quite nice. But there were a *lot* of
pikey kids.

My part of the estate (I live right at the edge) is nice and the
neighbours and everyone ive met seem nice. However a couple of roads
over it isnt so nice.

As far as we can tell is is just a couple of famalies worth of 14-18
year olds causing the trouble (famalies whose parents are already
known by the police who have come out to us).
Because the council garages are 'behind' my house they are fairly
secluded and not that visible (there are only 3 or 4 of us who really
back onto them - the other houses back onto them over a 20ft drop!),
so they seem to congregate there. I have only had trouble in my garden
when ive been out in the evening (next door have called the police).
unfortunately the little buggers are able to count so can tell when
one of my cars isnt there and thuis i am out.

I will soon have quite a bit of spare carpet gripper! That might work
quite well alont the top of the wall!