Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred fred is offline

Default The legalities of putting sharp and pointy things on the top of walls/gates

In article , Tom Woods
writes
On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 07:30:59 +0000, Dave Fawthrop
wrote:

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 00:37:52 +0000, Tom Woods news@NOPSAMtomwoods

.co.uk
wrote:

|!To somewhat answer my own question:
|!
|!http://www.primrose-london.co.uk/fen...rikka-strip-p-

365.html
|!
|!a cat deterrant that also deters humans.

Any self respecting cat would carefully put its paws *between* the spikes.

yeah, im not sure it would stop a cat (I dont mind the cats in my
garden anyhow!), but it looks like it might put a person off.

Other than prickly vegetation the prickler strips are about as much as you
can do legally, anything sharper would leave you liable for injury. The
anticlimb paint would leave you liable for any damage to clothing whether it
be from climbing or just someone reaching up, touching the paint/grease
and then wiping their hands on their clothing.

Think about what kids or other people might reasonably attempt and
consider if what might occur as a result of your precautions was
reasonable. eg. Ball kicked into your garden, kid or other attempts to climb
in to recover and are either injured or their clothing is damaged. If either
occurs as a result of your precautions that would be you will be liable.

The single stand of barbed wire you mention would fall foul if hidden and
would be pretty ugly if visible. I would also be pretty easy to avoid as a
hand will fit easily within the barbs. The prickle strip would probably be
more effective and the price from the Primrose site is the best I have seen.

HTH
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla