Posted to uk.d-i-y
Yaz Yaz is offline

Default Socket/swtich boxes - Plaster removal.

I havce had some awful plasterers who had plastered over all my sockets and
switches. I have my Electrician comming in this week for 2nd fixing and I
need to to cut out the holes square and neat. Are there any spcial ways in
which to do this neatly and squsre without over damaginf the surrounding
plaster? Not no stud walls all solid brick. I have to do this to about a
150 points and need some easy and neat manner . Dont mind buying some
reasonable tool etc?

Any advice.

Yaz

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 Feb, 22:09, "Yaz" wrote:
I havce had some awful plasterers who had plastered over all my sockets and
switches. I have my Electrician comming in this week for 2nd fixing and I
need to to cut out the holes square and neat. Are there any spcial ways in
which to do this neatly and squsre without over damaginf the surrounding
plaster? Not no stud walls all solid brick. I have to do this to about a
150 points and need some easy and neat manner . Dont mind buying some
reasonable tool etc?

Any advice.

Yaz

Sounds like a nightmare... its happen to me a few times.. hopefully
your cables are OK and not sliced.

I used a PlasterBoard saw, a light hammer and small chisel...
http://www.justoffbase.co.uk/T-Mans-...9&category=450
Takes time.. just be careful of your cables.

Shay

Posted to uk.d-i-y

My sympathy. Sh1t spreaders are a breed apart . I think it is something
to do with the dust, ceiling fitters are the same. Anyway, if it is
only plaster try a padsaw / dry-walling saw and cut V E R Y gently using
the sides of the box as a guide. Then lever the bits out with a
screwdriver or such like. (Appologies to any decent plasterers and
ceiling fitters)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 22:09:54 +0000, Yaz wrote:

I havce had some awful plasterers who had plastered over all my sockets and
switches.

Do you mean the holes for the backboxes or are the backboxes in and the
plaster has gone in to them? Be fair to the plasterers: what are they
supposed to do? You can't plaster up to a hole and stop: plaster doesn't
work like that. They probably ought to have told you that though, then you
could have done something about it like cut blocks of kingspan and stuffed
them in the boxes.

I have my Electrician comming in this week for 2nd fixing and I
need to to cut out the holes square and neat. Are there any spcial ways in
which to do this neatly and squsre without over damaginf the surrounding
plaster?

Just chip it out with a gash chisel (i.e. a wood chisel you're not too
bothered about). Doesn't matter if the edges aren't perfectly square and
straight since the sockets and switches will overlap and cover the edges.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yaz wrote:
I havce had some awful plasterers who had plastered over all my
sockets and switches. I have my Electrician comming in this week for
2nd fixing and I need to to cut out the holes square and neat. Are
there any spcial ways in which to do this neatly and squsre without
over damaginf the surrounding plaster? Not no stud walls all solid
brick. I have to do this to about a 150 points and need some easy
and neat manner . Dont mind buying some reasonable tool etc?

150 points? What is this a mansion? How can you have 150 sockets/switches?

Stanley knife works well, buy plenty of new blades.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 22:52:18 GMT, John Stumbles
wrote:

On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 22:09:54 +0000, Yaz wrote:

I havce had some awful plasterers who had plastered over all my sockets and
switches.

Do you mean the holes for the backboxes or are the backboxes in and the
plaster has gone in to them? Be fair to the plasterers: what are they
supposed to do? You can't plaster up to a hole and stop: plaster doesn't
work like that. They probably ought to have told you that though, then you
could have done something about it like cut blocks of kingspan and stuffed
them in the boxes.

Unless he had already fitted the switches/sockets in to the boxes
before the plasterers arrived ..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 22:52:18 GMT, John Stumbles
mused:

On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 22:09:54 +0000, Yaz wrote:

I havce had some awful plasterers who had plastered over all my sockets and
switches.

Do you mean the holes for the backboxes or are the backboxes in and the
plaster has gone in to them? Be fair to the plasterers: what are they
supposed to do? You can't plaster up to a hole and stop: plaster doesn't
work like that. They probably ought to have told you that though, then you
could have done something about it like cut blocks of kingspan and stuffed
them in the boxes.

No, but a decent plasterer will attempt to square off the plaster at
the sockets whilst it is still wet rather than leaving it for someone
to come and chisel it al out when it's dried. Some are better than
others at not filling boxes in the first place as well.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Yaz Yaz is offline

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in 150
points? What is this a mansion? How can you have 150 sockets/switches?

Sorry should be 130!

60 Sockets
12 Switch Fused Spur
13 UFH Thermostat points
25 Light Switchs
5 TV Points
5 Tel Points
10 Blanks

Sid

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 22:09:54 +0000, Yaz wrote:

I havce had some awful plasterers who had plastered over all my sockets and
switches.

Do you mean the holes for the backboxes or are the backboxes in and the
plaster has gone in to them? Be fair to the plasterers: what are they
supposed to do? You can't plaster up to a hole and stop: plaster doesn't
work like that. They probably ought to have told you that though, then you
could have done something about it like cut blocks of kingspan and stuffed
them in the boxes.

Unless he had already fitted the switches/sockets in to the boxes
before the plasterers arrived ..

And that *would* be a nightmare...!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 22:09:54 +0000, Yaz wrote:

I havce had some awful plasterers who had plastered over all my sockets
and
switches.

Do you mean the holes for the backboxes or are the backboxes in and the
plaster has gone in to them? Be fair to the plasterers: what are they
supposed to do? You can't plaster up to a hole and stop: plaster doesn't
work like that. They probably ought to have told you that though, then you
could have done something about it like cut blocks of kingspan and stuffed
them in the boxes.

Unless he had already fitted the switches/sockets in to the boxes
before the plasterers arrived ..

The OP said "I have my Electrician comming in this week for 2nd fixing "

Joe Lee

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yaz wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in 150
points? What is this a mansion? How can you have 150 sockets/switches?

Sorry should be 130!

60 Sockets
12 Switch Fused Spur
13 UFH Thermostat points
25 Light Switchs
5 TV Points
5 Tel Points
10 Blanks

Why on earth would anyone need 10 blanks?

Ben

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 Feb, 23:56, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
Yaz wrote:
I havce had some awful plasterers who had plastered over all my
sockets and switches. I have my Electrician comming in this week for
2nd fixing and I need to to cut out the holes square and neat. Are
there any spcial ways in which to do this neatly and squsre without
over damaginf the surrounding plaster? Not no stud walls all solid
brick. I have to do this to about a 150 points and need some easy
and neat manner . Dont mind buying some reasonable tool etc?

150 points? What is this a mansion? How can you have 150 sockets/switches?

Must be a mansion of some sort (or a factory).
I'd love to know the plastering costs for a building that size.
Simon.

Stanley knife works well, buy plenty of new blades.

--
Dave
The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk
01634 717930
07850 597257

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article .com,
sm_jamieson wrote:
150 points? What is this a mansion? How can you have 150
sockets/switches?

Must be a mansion of some sort (or a factory).
I'd love to know the plastering costs for a building that size.
Simon.

I'd say the 5 aerial points gives a clue - could be just a three bedroom
house with an aerial point in each room. Or even two bedroom if you
include the kitchen.

If going for a re-wire you can never have too many sockets - two doubles
on every wall is my minimum. Add in a few for where the demand is heavy -
kitchen and near Hi-Fi etc and you're at his figure.

--
*Before they invented drawing boards, what did they go back to?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 04:41:11 -0000, "Joe Lee" invalid@noaddress
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 22:09:54 +0000, Yaz wrote:

I havce had some awful plasterers who had plastered over all my sockets
and
switches.

Do you mean the holes for the backboxes or are the backboxes in and the
plaster has gone in to them? Be fair to the plasterers: what are they
supposed to do? You can't plaster up to a hole and stop: plaster doesn't
work like that. They probably ought to have told you that though, then you
could have done something about it like cut blocks of kingspan and stuffed
them in the boxes.

Unless he had already fitted the switches/sockets in to the boxes
before the plasterers arrived ..

The OP said "I have my Electrician comming in this week for 2nd fixing "

Joe Lee

Which means exactly what ? !!!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 22:09:54 +0000, Yaz wrote:

I havce had some awful plasterers who had plastered over all my sockets
and
switches.
Do you mean the holes for the backboxes or are the backboxes in and the
plaster has gone in to them? Be fair to the plasterers: what are they
supposed to do? You can't plaster up to a hole and stop: plaster doesn't
work like that. They probably ought to have told you that though, then you
could have done something about it like cut blocks of kingspan and stuffed
them in the boxes.

Unless he had already fitted the switches/sockets in to the boxes
before the plasterers arrived ..

The OP said "I have my Electrician comming in this week for 2nd fixing "

Which means exactly what ? !!!!

Tradesman-speak for fitting the appropriate accessory to the service (ie
water pipes or electrical cables) which was installed at first-fix stage).

So in the case of an electrician, it means exactly - fitting the
switches/sockets to the boxes...!

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Which takes us right bak to what the Op said

"I havce had some awful plasterers who had plastered over all my sockets
and
switches."

I'm confused as to what the plasterers actually did
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"

Which means exactly what ? !!!!

Tradesman-speak for fitting the appropriate accessory to the service (ie
water pipes or electrical cables) which was installed at first-fix stage).

So in the case of an electrician, it means exactly - fitting the
switches/sockets to the boxes...!

David

Which takes us right bak to what the Op said

"I havce had some awful plasterers who had plastered over all my
sockets
and
switches."

I'm confused as to what the plasterers actually did

The OP should have said "I have had my sockets and switch backboxes filled
in with plaster"

The fact that a 2nd fix is due suggests that there are no faceplates on.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Stuart B wrote:
Which takes us right bak to what the Op said

"I havce had some awful plasterers who had plastered over all my sockets
and
switches."

I'm confused as to what the plasterers actually did

I think if you read between the lines the backing boxes were installed to
(near enough) the correct depth from the bricks or whatever before
re-plastering, and the plasterer has gone over them so they are no longer
visible. Pretty common event. You'd normally put something in them -
newspaper or polystyrene etc so you can 'find' them again by tapping the
plaster. Then simply cut out the offending skim. In my case I just tapped
away with a hammer - but the backing boxes were pretty accurately set in
place. It's possible the plaster is quite deep over a box if the wall was
well off square.

--
*Honk if you love peace and quiet*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 16:03:47 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Stuart B wrote:
Which takes us right bak to what the Op said

"I havce had some awful plasterers who had plastered over all my sockets
and
switches."

I'm confused as to what the plasterers actually did

I think if you read between the lines the backing boxes were installed to
(near enough) the correct depth from the bricks or whatever before
re-plastering, and the plasterer has gone over them so they are no longer
visible. Pretty common event. You'd normally put something in them -
newspaper or polystyrene etc so you can 'find' them again by tapping the
plaster. Then simply cut out the offending skim. In my case I just tapped
away with a hammer - but the backing boxes were pretty accurately set in
place. It's possible the plaster is quite deep over a box if the wall was
well off square.

Now I understand .!!