Default Lathe and Plaster Wall Removal

Hello All

I am about to embark on extending my ensuiute bathroom. To do this I
need to remove a part of a lathe and plaster wall (Not solid)
where the extension will come into the bedroom. My question is how
would I remove this part of wall leaving the end neat and solid ready
for the stud wall to be attached. The L&P wall is not load bearing.

TIA

Cheers

Richard

:::Jerry::::

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello All

I am about to embark on extending my ensuiute bathroom. To do this I
need to remove a part of a lathe and plaster wall (Not solid)
where the extension will come into the bedroom. My question is how

Funny place to keeep a 'Lathe'...

would I remove this part of wall leaving the end neat and solid ready
for the stud wall to be attached. The L&P wall is not load bearing.

Well, a bolster chisel would remove the plaster but I suspect you might need
a large angle grinder to lop a bit off the 'Lathe' !.....

Me thinks you mean 'Lath and Plaster, not something that is used to machine
wood or metal. :~)

Thanks Andy, judging by some of my other walls the plaster may very
well just fall off!

Cheers

Richard

A word of caution that may not apply to you but might do so to some
else reading this thread at some point. This was a painfull experience
which I wouldn't like anyone else to suffer.

I had to strip all the lath and plaster walls off my stone cottage as
they were in poor condition and had ventilation wind passing from the
copious underfloor ventilation into the roof space; there was therefore
no - and I repeat NO insulation in the walls whatsoever. For the first
couple of winters we literally cowered round the small coal burning
fire. That part of the sob story over.

What I missed in removing the plasterwork in the first room was that
all the plaster tags pushed through the laths when the plastering was
originally done came off and went down the gap where the wind was
coming up and bridged the dpc for the floor. Fortunately I spotted
this before any damage was done but I had a very unpleasant task
removing all this broken off plaster.

If you are doing something similar make sure that slips of plywood are
put in place at the skirting level to prevent this.

Rob

Purely to correct the subject, I've not been following the thread but
I have to look at the subject every time I pass this way! :-)

--
Chris Green

Lathe and Plaster John UK diy 12 March 9th 04 09:09 PM
Home made wadrobe problem. Andrew Gabriel UK diy 6 December 30th 03 05:05 PM
Kitchen wall Insulating r.w. Home Repair 2 July 28th 03 02:28 AM
Old Plaster Harris UK diy 5 July 18th 03 02:45 PM