Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

Default Timer wall swtich with fluorescent lights

Do you think it is ok to use a timer wall switch with fluorescent
lights if I never use the dimmer setting of the switch?

I have Intermatic Digi-set Programmable 24 hour Digital Wall Switch
Timer with 4 on/off settings per day.

I wanted to install a fluorescent light on my kitchen ceiling, but the
switch instructions say NO. I suspect this is because the wall switch
has a dimmer setting, but I promise, I will never use it. Do you
think this will work all right?

(The previous switch had a half intensity (or half-current) setting,
and I tried it 2 or 3 times in 15 years for curiosity, and found it of
no use.)

Posted to alt.home.repair
kevin

We had a compact fluorescent in a fan that had a dimmer switch (until I
replaced it), and never had any problems with it. It simply didn't turn
on unless you turned the dimmer all the way up. Sample size of 1, so it
must be true...

-Kevin

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On 19 May 2006 20:00:06 -0700, "kevin" wrote:

We had a compact fluorescent in a fan that had a dimmer switch (until I
replaced it), and never had any problems with it. It simply didn't turn
on unless you turned the dimmer all the way up. Sample size of 1, so it
must be true...

Good enough for me.

Although I should have said that this is a full-size fluorescent.
With two big U shaped bulbs. The whole fixture is about 2 feet
square, and the bulb arms are almost 18 inches, I think.

-Kevin

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

mm wrote:
Do you think it is ok to use a timer wall switch with fluorescent
lights if I never use the dimmer setting of the switch?

I have Intermatic Digi-set Programmable 24 hour Digital Wall Switch
Timer with 4 on/off settings per day.

I wanted to install a fluorescent light on my kitchen ceiling, but the
switch instructions say NO. I suspect this is because the wall switch
has a dimmer setting, but I promise, I will never use it. Do you
think this will work all right?

(The previous switch had a half intensity (or half-current) setting,
and I tried it 2 or 3 times in 15 years for curiosity, and found it of
no use.)

I would look for a timer switch without a dimmer. If the dimmer is
separate, as I suspect, I would just wire around it so it is disconnected.
You might not dim it, but who knows what someone else may do.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

accidently set to dim it can cause a fire by overheating...

Posted to alt.home.repair
JoeSpareBedroom

"mm" wrote in message
Do you think it is ok to use a timer wall switch with fluorescent
lights if I never use the dimmer setting of the switch?

I have Intermatic Digi-set Programmable 24 hour Digital Wall Switch
Timer with 4 on/off settings per day.

I wanted to install a fluorescent light on my kitchen ceiling, but the
switch instructions say NO. I suspect this is because the wall switch
has a dimmer setting, but I promise, I will never use it. Do you
think this will work all right?

(The previous switch had a half intensity (or half-current) setting,
and I tried it 2 or 3 times in 15 years for curiosity, and found it of
no use.)

As long as you have another place to live while your burnt down house is
being rebuilt, your idea should be fine. In another discussion of timers &
fluorescents, a number of people mentioned products from this company, and
said they were pleased with them:
http://www.aubetech.com/accueil.php?noLangue=2

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

Thanks to each of you.

On Fri, 19 May 2006 22:41:59 -0400, mm
wrote:

Do you think it is ok to use a timer wall switch with fluorescent
lights if I never use the dimmer setting of the switch?

I have Intermatic Digi-set Programmable 24 hour Digital Wall Switch
Timer with 4 on/off settings per day.

I wanted to install a fluorescent light on my kitchen ceiling, but the
switch instructions say NO. I suspect this is because the wall switch
has a dimmer setting, but I promise, I will never use it. Do you
think this will work all right?

(The previous switch had a half intensity (or half-current) setting,
and I tried it 2 or 3 times in 15 years for curiosity, and found it of
no use.)

T5 vs. T8 fluorescent lights Larry Blanchard Woodworking 34 December 15th 05 06:02 AM
Good verses bad compact fluorescent lights -- inside? larry moe 'n curly Electronics Repair 13 November 27th 05 07:12 PM
Good verses bad compact fluorescent lights -- inside? larry moe 'n curly Electronics Repair 1 November 25th 05 04:53 AM
Earthing wall lights Aardvark UK diy 11 October 19th 04 04:14 PM
Lights for under Kitchen wall units - Reccommendations pls DIY Novice UK diy 11 October 19th 04 02:22 PM