Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Default Timer wall swtich with fluorescent lights

mm wrote:
Do you think it is ok to use a timer wall switch with fluorescent
lights if I never use the dimmer setting of the switch?

I have Intermatic Digi-set Programmable 24 hour Digital Wall Switch
Timer with 4 on/off settings per day.

I wanted to install a fluorescent light on my kitchen ceiling, but the
switch instructions say NO. I suspect this is because the wall switch
has a dimmer setting, but I promise, I will never use it. Do you
think this will work all right?

(The previous switch had a half intensity (or half-current) setting,
and I tried it 2 or 3 times in 15 years for curiosity, and found it of
no use.)

I would look for a timer switch without a dimmer. If the dimmer is
separate, as I suspect, I would just wire around it so it is disconnected.
You might not dim it, but who knows what someone else may do.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit