Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Help on Gas Hob Connection pls...????

Guys,
Redoing my kitchen and want to move the Gas Hob 400mm to the left. The
existing hob is directly connected to a vertical piece of 15mm copper pipe
that is on the "switched" side of a gas cock - i.e. there is no flexible
hose on the existing hob.

I want to install a new type of Gas Hob - a Siemens one. However, I do
not want to have to move the Gas Cock 400 mm to the left because that
would involve me cutting the "mains" side of the gas cock. In other words I
would like to leave the gas cock where it is, saw through some of the
"switched" side of the 15mm vertical pipe, attach a flexible hose to
this and then route it to my new hob.

Is what I am saying sensible or even legal? I am a DIYer not a Corgi man.

This is the hose I am looking at:

How would I get this onto the 15mm pipe with a compression fitting?

Thanks,

Steve

Short cuts make for long delays.....

Use ROT13 for my email:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Kaiser Sose wrote:
[...]

Hi Steve,

I've just finished re-doing my kitchen, but before I started I searched
this group along similar lines.

The answer to your question is, unfortunately for you perhaps, no.

You can't have a fixed appliance (i.e. a hob) on anything but fixed
pipe work.

But, you can still do your own gas work, so you could legally switch
the gas off at the meter and insert a cap, then re-plumb your gas as
needed, connect it back up and test it with leak detection
spray/washing up liquid solution.

Or, you could do what I did and clear the room of all obstructions,
mark out exactly where you want the pipe to go, having chased out any
walls that need doing, and pay a corgi to do it for you.
The bloke I got to do mine came to have a look, saw that there was
about 10mins work, and did it there and then. Bosh! Cost me about
20quid and a couple of cups of tea.

HTH,

Cheers, Will

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 10:47:30 -0600, Kaiser Sose wrote:

Guys,
Redoing my kitchen and want to move the Gas Hob 400mm to the left. The
existing hob is directly connected to a vertical piece of 15mm copper pipe
that is on the "switched" side of a gas cock - i.e. there is no flexible
hose on the existing hob.

I want to install a new type of Gas Hob - a Siemens one. However, I do
not want to have to move the Gas Cock 400 mm to the left because that
would involve me cutting the "mains" side of the gas cock. In other words I
would like to leave the gas cock where it is, saw through some of the
"switched" side of the 15mm vertical pipe, attach a flexible hose to
this and then route it to my new hob.

Is what I am saying sensible or even legal? I am a DIYer not a Corgi man.

This is the hose I am looking at:

How would I get this onto the 15mm pipe with a compression fitting?

Hobs must be hard piped, but nobody I know has one, so go figure! )

Have you ever had anyone turn up with a clipboard demanding to see
your hob connection.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Guys,
Thanks for your comments.
I'll leave the hob where it is I think !!!
Cheers,

--
Thanks,

Steve

Short cuts make for long delays.....

Use ROT13 for my email:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

EricP wrote:

Hobs must be hard piped, but nobody I know has one, so go figure! )

Have you ever had anyone turn up with a clipboard demanding to see
your hob connection.

I've never seen a hard piped hob either.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 17:27:22 +0000, EricP wrote:

[...]

Please see gas fitting FAQ.
Frankly the OP is probably not ready to take on gas work yet.

Fixed hobs have fixed pipe work.

EricP:
I meet hobs supplied with fixed pipes and flexible hoses in about
equal proportions.
Gas fitting is done to the standards (see links below) not because it
might or might not be inspected but because it is the right thing to do.

Would you suggest making an irregular electrical installation (say using
the wrong size or type of cable) just because "no one with a clipboard" was
going to see it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Will wrote:

SNIP

But, you can still do your own gas work, so you could legally switch
the gas off at the meter and insert a cap, then re-plumb your gas as
needed, connect it back up and test it with leak detection
spray/washing up liquid solution.

SNIP

I bought some of this detection spray, but the instructions on the can
are a bit vague. I assume given contact with gas the liquid/foam will
solidify, otherwise it just runs off as liquid?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
thankyousam writes:
Will wrote:

SNIP

But, you can still do your own gas work, so you could legally switch
the gas off at the meter and insert a cap, then re-plumb your gas as
needed, connect it back up and test it with leak detection
spray/washing up liquid solution.

SNIP

I bought some of this detection spray, but the instructions on the can
are a bit vague. I assume given contact with gas the liquid/foam will
solidify, otherwise it just runs off as liquid?

It froths up into a visible lump of cuckoo spit.
It's very runny so it gets right in to fittings.
There's no chemical reaction, it doesn't set,
and you can wipe it off (e.g. after tightning
up a compression fitting to see if it's still
leaking). You can use it with any gas pipework,
not just natural gas. I used it alot when installing
my radiator pipework, by pressurising the pipework
using a bicycle pump, so I could fix any leaks
before making the pipework wet.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

(snipped)
Wow, that's a good idea. How do you connect a bike pump though and isolate
the section of piping you are working on? Otherwise you'd be pressurising
the whole system - you'd have arms like Schwarzenegger !!!!

--
Thanks,

Steve

Short cuts make for long delays.....

Use ROT13 for my email:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

not just natural gas. I used it alot when installing
my radiator pipework, by pressurising the pipework
using a bicycle pump, so I could fix any leaks
before making the pipework wet.

I need to do some of this shortly and have collected together a small
collection of pushfit fittings and adaptors etc to do it with... but how
do you attach the bike pump to the pipework? Haven't come across a
Schraeder valve - pushfit fitting yet!!

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 23:01:47 +0000 (UTC), Ed Sirett
wrote:

Please see gas fitting FAQ.

I have many times and a noble work it is.

Frankly the OP is probably not ready to take on gas work yet.

Probably.

Fixed hobs have fixed pipe work.

They do when practical, but get flexible connections as it is not
practical. Mine would have required major dismantling of tiling and
units. It got a flexible connection and was installed by a corgi bod.
Thank diety it is on one as well, as alterations have necessitated
it's removal on several occasions. To have had to call in a corgi just
to disconnect and reconnect it would have cost a ridiculous amount.

gas hob pressure dme UK diy 4 September 1st 06 10:09 PM
LPG connection underconcrete to hob Donwill UK diy 1 April 5th 06 07:09 PM
Built in gas oven under a inset gas hob Chris Cowley UK diy 13 March 23rd 06 11:35 PM
Gas hob al UK diy 13 April 21st 05 05:08 PM
Gas Hob Connection 10mm pipe Mo Thanku UK diy 5 November 9th 04 08:25 PM