Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Extending Earth Wire For Sink

We have recently moved our sink, the current earth wire is no longer
long enough. What should I use to connect a new piece of earth wire to
the old piece in order to extend the earth to the new sink, and save
replacing the whole earth wire back to the consumer unit??

Any help appreciated,

Cheers,

James.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article om,
wrote:
We have recently moved our sink, the current earth wire is no longer
long enough. What should I use to connect a new piece of earth wire to
the old piece in order to extend the earth to the new sink, and save
replacing the whole earth wire back to the consumer unit??

Sinks don't have to be earthed. Indeed plenty of opinion says it's a bad
idea.

--
*Two wrongs are only the beginning *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi all,

Thanks for the comments and sorry for the delayed reply have been busy
fitting the new kitchen.

I decided to run a new earth wire in the end back to the consumer unit.
The old earth was attached to the cold water supply pipe and the sink.
I assumed I would have to earth the Hot, Cold and sink. Is this no
longer the case? Bad idea?

The main stop cock for the cold mains water is not by the sink it is
under the stairs although I am not 100% sure if it is earther there or
not (am at work now so can't check).

I was going to bond the hot pipe, cold pipe and sink are some/any of
these required.

Thanks for the help,

James

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ben Blaukopf wrote:

You need to bond the cold supply pipe with a 10mm wire (assuming a
standard electrical supply) back to the main earth block at the meter.
This is main bonding. By cold supply pipe, I mean the rising main, i.e.
the cold water pipe, within 600mm (I think, or something like that) of
where it enters the house (and it sounds like this is under the stairs).

You do not need to main bond anything else. If you do, then at best,
you'll just confuse the next person to look at the installation.

Gas pipe?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Ian is offline

Lobster wrote:

There is a requirement to bond the incoming mains water supply to the
earth back at the consumer unit

My incoming mains water supply is a plastic pipe.

Ian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mathew Newton wrote:
Ben Blaukopf wrote:

You need to bond the cold supply pipe with a 10mm wire (assuming a
standard electrical supply) back to the main earth block at the meter.
This is main bonding. By cold supply pipe, I mean the rising main, i.e.
the cold water pipe, within 600mm (I think, or something like that) of
where it enters the house (and it sounds like this is under the stairs).

You do not need to main bond anything else. If you do, then at best,
you'll just confuse the next person to look at the installation.

Gas pipe?

D'oh! You do not need to bond anything else out of the subset you have
described. But you need to bond the gas pipe. And, apparently, metal
waste pipes, if you have any...

Ben

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian wrote:
Lobster wrote:

There is a requirement to bond the incoming mains water supply to the
earth back at the consumer unit

My incoming mains water supply is a plastic pipe.

Then you bond at the nearest copper point. You don't need to bond if
your internal AND supply pipework is plastic.

Ben
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for all the comments and help.

James

reusing earth wire in a 5-core cable Geronimo W. Christ Esq UK diy 13 November 9th 06 08:28 PM
Extending the Neutral Wire for AFCI & GFCI Breakers in a Breaker Panel [email protected] Home Repair 3 April 29th 06 04:45 PM
Earth bonding of kitchen sink? Joe UK diy 5 March 16th 05 03:12 PM
Unnecessary earth wire? Aldrich UK diy 2 January 27th 05 12:30 AM
2 wire circuit - no earth Stephen Fasham UK diy 5 December 13th 04 02:29 PM