Joe

Default Earth bonding of kitchen sink?

In the process of having a new kitchen fitted, and being told the new
sink has to have 10mm bonding back to the CU. Is this correct? There's
no waste disposal or other mains power to the sink. Water pipes are all
copper.
--
Joe
Christian McArdle

In the process of having a new kitchen fitted, and being told the new
sink has to have 10mm bonding back to the CU. Is this correct? There's
no waste disposal or other mains power to the sink. Water pipes are all
copper.

Absolutely not for a kitchen sink.

However, you do need main bonding back to the consumer unit for metal
services (including copper water pipes). This is installed to where the
service enters the property, which in the case of water may be under the
sink.

Christian.

Lobster

Joe wrote:
In the process of having a new kitchen fitted, and being told the new
sink has to have 10mm bonding back to the CU. Is this correct? There's
no waste disposal or other mains power to the sink. Water pipes are all
copper.

No, but whoever's telling you (who?!) might be confusing this with a
need to bond the sink to the copper pipes below the taps (would be
thinner cable that 10mm - 4mm IIRC?). Whether that's obligatory or not
is arguable - see lots of threads on this in the archives of this ng
(Christian will argue 'no' on safety grounds, and no doubt he's right;
but - eg - my electrician insisted upon it before he'd issue my safety
report!)

David
Andy Dingley

It was somewhere outside Barstow when Joe wrote:

In the process of having a new kitchen fitted, and being told the new
sink has to have 10mm bonding back to the CU. Is this correct?

No. There's no requirement to earth it, there is a requirement for
equipotential bonding. I suggest getting yourself an "on-site guide"
which explains the difference. They're more often confused than
they're correctly understood.

(Simply put, metal things need to be conected together, but they don't
need to be run back to the CU)

Christian McArdle

No. There's no requirement to earth it, there is a requirement for
equipotential bonding.

There is no requirement for equipotential bonding of any kind.

(Simply put, metal things need to be conected together, but they don't
need to be run back to the CU)

Only in a bathroom or shower room, and not all metal things even then.

Christian.

Andy Dingley wrote:
It was somewhere outside Barstow when Joe wrote:

In the process of having a new kitchen fitted, and being told the new
sink has to have 10mm bonding back to the CU. Is this correct?

No. There's no requirement to earth it, there is a requirement for
equipotential bonding. I suggest getting yourself an "on-site guide"
which explains the difference. They're more often confused than
they're correctly understood.

Well, if my reading of the "on-site guide" is correct equipotential
bonding isn't required either.

--
Chris Green

Noisy kitchen sink drain Speedy Jim Home Repair 0 December 23rd 04 02:52 AM
Further Earth Bonding questions [email protected] UK diy 34 September 15th 04 08:49 AM
kitchen sink problem: want single-flow crosstop deck sink mixer... but height clearance limited james UK diy 6 March 30th 04 02:43 PM
Earth bonding cable? Jeff UK diy 7 February 7th 04 07:34 AM
Generator Grounding PoP UK diy 10 November 13th 03 12:29 PM