Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ben Blaukopf Ben Blaukopf is offline

Default Extending Earth Wire For Sink

wrote:
Hi all,

Thanks for the comments and sorry for the delayed reply have been busy
fitting the new kitchen.

I decided to run a new earth wire in the end back to the consumer unit.
The old earth was attached to the cold water supply pipe and the sink.
I assumed I would have to earth the Hot, Cold and sink. Is this no
longer the case? Bad idea?

The main stop cock for the cold mains water is not by the sink it is
under the stairs although I am not 100% sure if it is earther there or
not (am at work now so can't check).

I was going to bond the hot pipe, cold pipe and sink are some/any of
these required.

You need to bond the cold supply pipe with a 10mm wire (assuming a
standard electrical supply) back to the main earth block at the meter.
This is main bonding. By cold supply pipe, I mean the rising main, i.e.
the cold water pipe, within 600mm (I think, or something like that) of
where it enters the house (and it sounds like this is under the stairs).

You do not need to main bond anything else. If you do, then at best,
you'll just confuse the next person to look at the installation.

You can then add supplementary bonding at the kitchen sink, which means
bonding the all the metal objects together - i.e. hot, cold, sink.
Section 4.6 of the On Site Guide says that you do not need to do this.

Ben