Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default reusing earth wire in a 5-core cable

All,

I'm currently installing the electrical bits of a Y-plan setup, which
includes a new time clock, cylinder/room stats, motorized valve, and
obviously the connections to the pump and boiler. The control electrics
are all Honeywell parts.

The time clock connection needs a total of five conductors - neutral,
live, hw on, hw off, ch on. However, I've found it impossible to find
cable with more than five cores, so have wrapped some insulating tape
around the earth wire (which was already insulated green/yellow). None
of the components have metal parts (the spur switch I've added is metal,
and is earthed off the house earth) and the cable is just fixed to the
wall with cable clips, so there's no likelihood of drilling through by
mistake (unless you really are a total chump). Am I breaking any rules
here (common sense or otherwise) ?

Regards

GWC
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Geronimo W. Christ Esq wrote:

The time clock connection needs a total of five conductors - neutral,
live, hw on, hw off, ch on. However, I've found it impossible to find
cable with more than five cores, so have wrapped some insulating tape
around the earth wire [...]
Am I breaking any rules here (common sense or otherwise) ?

Yes you a (a) there's a general requirement in BS 7671 to run a
circuit protective conductor (earth) to all wiring points, and (b) the
colour green/yellow is reserved exclusively for protective conductors
and application of tape or even sleeving is not acceptable.

This is what you need
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...rey/index.html

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 7 Nov 2006 23:13:47 UTC, Andy Wade
wrote:

Geronimo W. Christ Esq wrote:

The time clock connection needs a total of five conductors - neutral,
live, hw on, hw off, ch on. However, I've found it impossible to find
cable with more than five cores, so have wrapped some insulating tape
around the earth wire [...]
Am I breaking any rules here (common sense or otherwise) ?

Yes you a (a) there's a general requirement in BS 7671 to run a
circuit protective conductor (earth) to all wiring points, and (b) the
colour green/yellow is reserved exclusively for protective conductors
and application of tape or even sleeving is not acceptable.

This is what you need
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...rey/index.html

Mt TLC was out of stocl when I wanted some a few weeks ago for just this
purpose. I got some from the local plumber's merchant.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Wade wrote:
Geronimo W. Christ Esq wrote:

The time clock connection needs a total of five conductors - neutral,
live, hw on, hw off, ch on. However, I've found it impossible to find
cable with more than five cores, so have wrapped some insulating tape
around the earth wire [...]
Am I breaking any rules here (common sense or otherwise) ?

Yes you a (a) there's a general requirement in BS 7671 to run a
circuit protective conductor (earth) to all wiring points, and (b) the
colour green/yellow is reserved exclusively for protective conductors
and application of tape or even sleeving is not acceptable.

I thought so.

This is what you need
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...rey/index.html

Oh, I didn't know about that. Great, thanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:

This is what you need
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...rey/index.html

Mt TLC was out of stocl when I wanted some a few weeks ago for just this
purpose. I got some from the local plumber's merchant.

It's surprising how hard to find the stuff is. The sheds only have the
five core (and are dastardly expensive).. toolstation, screwfix etc
don't do it at all, and googling for it, nobody seems to have heard of it.

I've just ordered a wodge off it from TLC, so hopefully it'll show up soon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Geronimo W. Christ Esq wrote:

[...] and googling for it, nobody seems to have heard of it.

Google for "YY cable" or "YY control cable" and you'll get lots of hits.
RS do it up to 18-core 2.5 mm^2.

BTW you'll need to mark the neutral core with blue sleeving and all the
lives with brown to comply with BS 7671.

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Wade wrote:

Google for "YY cable" or "YY control cable" and you'll get lots of hits.
RS do it up to 18-core 2.5 mm^2.

Nothing stopping you using more than one cable either...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 7 Nov 2006 23:40:00 UTC, "Geronimo W. Christ Esq"
wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:

This is what you need
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...rey/index.html

Mt TLC was out of stocl when I wanted some a few weeks ago for just this
purpose. I got some from the local plumber's merchant.

It's surprising how hard to find the stuff is. The sheds only have the
five core (and are dastardly expensive).. toolstation, screwfix etc
don't do it at all, and googling for it, nobody seems to have heard of it.

I ordered it from TLC, for collection at branch. I eventually got an
email saying it was out of stock.

I surmised that a plumber's merchant would have it, since plumbers use
it! I was right..and the place is only half a mile away as well!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 07 Nov 2006 23:13:47 +0000, Andy Wade
wrote:

Geronimo W. Christ Esq wrote:

The time clock connection needs a total of five conductors - neutral,
live, hw on, hw off, ch on. However, I've found it impossible to find
cable with more than five cores, so have wrapped some insulating tape
around the earth wire [...]
Am I breaking any rules here (common sense or otherwise) ?

Yes you a (a) there's a general requirement in BS 7671 to run a
circuit protective conductor (earth) to all wiring points, and (b) the
colour green/yellow is reserved exclusively for protective conductors
and application of tape or even sleeving is not acceptable.

This is what you need
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...rey/index.html

You only really need the 7 cores for S plans. If it's a Y plan
installation then 6 cores are enough for the run up to the cylinder
thermostat and mid position valve (and also the run from the boiler
terminal box to the timer and thermostat if you are not using a 3
terminal room thermostat)

Toolstation have for quite a while now stocked 6 core flex with
multi-coloured cores rather than just 6 blacks and a green/yellow in
the TLC offering. What's more the cable is less than one third the
price of TLC.

Core colours are brown blue red black white green/yellow

http://www.toolstation.com/search.html?searchstr=97675

£26.96 for 50 metres of 0.75mm^2

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
Geronimo W. Christ Esq wrote:
I'm currently installing the electrical bits of a Y-plan setup, which
includes a new time clock, cylinder/room stats, motorized valve, and
obviously the connections to the pump and boiler. The control electrics
are all Honeywell parts.
The time clock connection needs a total of five conductors - neutral,
live, hw on, hw off, ch on. However, I've found it impossible to find
cable with more than five cores, so have wrapped some insulating tape
around the earth wire (which was already insulated green/yellow). None of
the components have metal parts (the spur switch I've added is metal, and
is earthed off the house earth) and the cable is just fixed to the wall
with cable clips, so there's no likelihood of drilling through by mistake
(unless you really are a total chump). Am I breaking any rules here
(common sense or otherwise) ?

YES.

Even if things are double insulated, ALL cables need an earth conductor
running to all termination points.

Also G&Y must NOT be used for any purpose other than electrical earth.

Use two 3-core + earth cables.

Owain

I would use twin and earth for live and neutral and a separate 3 core and
earth for the others.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:

This is what you need
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...rey/index.html
Mt TLC was out of stocl when I wanted some a few weeks ago for just this
purpose. I got some from the local plumber's merchant.

It's surprising how hard to find the stuff is. The sheds only have the
five core (and are dastardly expensive).. toolstation, screwfix etc
don't do it at all, and googling for it, nobody seems to have heard of it.

I ordered it from TLC, for collection at branch. I eventually got an
email saying it was out of stock.

TLC wrote this morning to say it was dispatched, so looks like they have
it again.

I surmised that a plumber's merchant would have it, since plumbers use
it! I was right..and the place is only half a mile away as well!

Makes sense, but the plumber's merchants here are quite some distance
away

Cheers

GWC
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matt wrote:

Core colours are brown blue red black white green/yellow

http://www.toolstation.com/search.html?searchstr=97675

D'oh, toolstation's search is crap. This cable was not listed under with
the rest of the electrical cable and does not come up when you search
for "6 core cable" (you get some alarm cable instead). Damn.

50m would be way too much for my needs anyway.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Mannix" wrote in message

"Owain" wrote in message
Geronimo W. Christ Esq wrote:
I'm currently installing the electrical bits of a Y-plan setup, which
includes a new time clock, cylinder/room stats, motorized valve, and
obviously the connections to the pump and boiler. The control electrics
are all Honeywell parts.
The time clock connection needs a total of five conductors - neutral,
live, hw on, hw off, ch on. However, I've found it impossible to find
cable with more than five cores, so have wrapped some insulating tape
around the earth wire (which was already insulated green/yellow). None
of the components have metal parts (the spur switch I've added is metal,
and is earthed off the house earth) and the cable is just fixed to the
wall with cable clips, so there's no likelihood of drilling through by
mistake (unless you really are a total chump). Am I breaking any rules
here (common sense or otherwise) ?

My last system used 2 x 5 core taped together with insulation tape which in
the heat of back boiler all oozed off in the most stickiest mess ever.
Current house has cable ties holding the two wires together.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian_m wrote:

My last system used 2 x 5 core taped together with insulation tape which in
the heat of back boiler all oozed off in the most stickiest mess ever.
Current house has cable ties holding the two wires together.

Yeah, it's not nice stuff when it oozes.

My 6-core + earth cable from TLC showed up today (pretty damn quick!)
and I replaced the dodgy wiring with it instead, with a spot of brown
tape marking the live wires. Much better.

Cable TV options? mgarvie Home Repair 18 April 6th 06 01:14 AM
Specific 555 circuit Henry Electronics 8 December 27th 05 05:14 PM
electrical interruption Choreboy Home Repair 41 April 17th 05 10:14 PM
2 wire circuit - no earth Stephen Fasham UK diy 5 December 13th 04 02:29 PM
Routeing Electrical FTE cable pickerel UK diy 3 July 24th 03 12:43 AM