Posted to uk.d-i-y
Matt Matt is offline

Default reusing earth wire in a 5-core cable

On Tue, 07 Nov 2006 23:13:47 +0000, Andy Wade
wrote:

Geronimo W. Christ Esq wrote:

The time clock connection needs a total of five conductors - neutral,
live, hw on, hw off, ch on. However, I've found it impossible to find
cable with more than five cores, so have wrapped some insulating tape
around the earth wire [...]
Am I breaking any rules here (common sense or otherwise) ?

Yes you a (a) there's a general requirement in BS 7671 to run a
circuit protective conductor (earth) to all wiring points, and (b) the
colour green/yellow is reserved exclusively for protective conductors
and application of tape or even sleeving is not acceptable.

This is what you need
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...rey/index.html

You only really need the 7 cores for S plans. If it's a Y plan
installation then 6 cores are enough for the run up to the cylinder
thermostat and mid position valve (and also the run from the boiler
terminal box to the timer and thermostat if you are not using a 3
terminal room thermostat)

Toolstation have for quite a while now stocked 6 core flex with
multi-coloured cores rather than just 6 blacks and a green/yellow in
the TLC offering. What's more the cable is less than one third the
price of TLC.

Core colours are brown blue red black white green/yellow

http://www.toolstation.com/search.html?searchstr=97675

£26.96 for 50 metres of 0.75mm^2