Posted to uk.d-i-y
Geronimo W. Christ Esq Geronimo W. Christ Esq is offline

Default reusing earth wire in a 5-core cable

All,

I'm currently installing the electrical bits of a Y-plan setup, which
includes a new time clock, cylinder/room stats, motorized valve, and
obviously the connections to the pump and boiler. The control electrics
are all Honeywell parts.

The time clock connection needs a total of five conductors - neutral,
live, hw on, hw off, ch on. However, I've found it impossible to find
cable with more than five cores, so have wrapped some insulating tape
around the earth wire (which was already insulated green/yellow). None
of the components have metal parts (the spur switch I've added is metal,
and is earthed off the house earth) and the cable is just fixed to the
wall with cable clips, so there's no likelihood of drilling through by
mistake (unless you really are a total chump). Am I breaking any rules
here (common sense or otherwise) ?

Regards

GWC