Aldrich

Default Unnecessary earth wire?

Hi

I have a minor question about wiring. I need to rewire a double-insulated
downlighter (used upstairs - so the unit is exposed in the loft). I will
use 1.5mm2 6242Y T+E cable. As the unit is double-insulated there is no
terminal for an earth wire. The terminal box on the back of the unit has no
room to lose the earth wire. Should I cut the earth wire off, or sleeve it
and bring it back out of the terminal box (leaving the sleeved wire
exposed)?

I guess this is a minor question, but I would like to make a good job of it,
so advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

David

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Aldrich wrote:
I have a minor question about wiring. I need to rewire a
double-insulated downlighter (used upstairs - so the unit is exposed in
the loft). I will use 1.5mm2 6242Y T+E cable. As the unit is
double-insulated there is no terminal for an earth wire. The terminal
box on the back of the unit has no room to lose the earth wire. Should
I cut the earth wire off, or sleeve it and bring it back out of the
terminal box (leaving the sleeved wire exposed)?

Sleeve it and tape it up out of the way. It might well be needed if you
change the fitting at a later date. Cut it off, and you loose that option.

I guess this is a minor question, but I would like to make a good job of
it, so advice would be appreciated.

Always worth considering the future.

--
*I feel like I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
chris French

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
Aldrich wrote:
I have a minor question about wiring. I need to rewire a
double-insulated downlighter (used upstairs - so the unit is exposed in
the loft). I will use 1.5mm2 6242Y T+E cable. As the unit is
double-insulated there is no terminal for an earth wire. The terminal
box on the back of the unit has no room to lose the earth wire. Should
I cut the earth wire off, or sleeve it and bring it back out of the
terminal box (leaving the sleeved wire exposed)?

Sleeve it and tape it up out of the way. It might well be needed if you
change the fitting at a later date. Cut it off, and you loose that option.

Unless there is slack in the cable. which if it a cable i loft
supplying light there maybe.
--
Chris French, Leeds

Earth electrode and power electrode wire area? Old Nick Metalworking 6 January 18th 05 10:08 PM
2 wire circuit - no earth Stephen Fasham UK diy 5 December 13th 04 02:29 PM
240 volt wiring Charles Home Repair 11 December 30th 03 11:13 PM
replacing old non-grounded (2 prong) electric receptacles David Jensen Home Repair 27 August 26th 03 12:14 AM
Ground to Gas Pipe?? w_tom Home Repair 4 June 23rd 03 09:14 AM