Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Resistors

My 'stock' is beginning to get depleted. It is based on the Maplin 0.6w
metal film type which they seem to have discontinued. (I used them because
most others require you to buy a minimum of 100 of the same value - takes
up too much space).

What's the best alternative? It would be nice to get the same make and
therefore body colour. ;-)

--
*A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

My 'stock' is beginning to get depleted. It is based on the Maplin 0.6w
metal film type which they seem to have discontinued. (I used them because
most others require you to buy a minimum of 100 of the same value - takes
up too much space).

What's the best alternative? It would be nice to get the same make and
therefore body colour. ;-)

check out Rapid Electronics. Its one of the wiki suppliers listed. As
well as pks of 100 they do selection kits, and prices are good.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
My 'stock' is beginning to get depleted. It is based on the Maplin 0.6w
metal film type which they seem to have discontinued. (I used them because
most others require you to buy a minimum of 100 of the same value - takes
up too much space).

What's the best alternative? It would be nice to get the same make and
therefore body colour. ;-)

They are so cheap that buying e.g. 10 of each value from 10 to 1 meg
from RS isn't going to break the bank

and you can buy them in 10s

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , raden
writes
In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
My 'stock' is beginning to get depleted. It is based on the Maplin 0.6w
metal film type which they seem to have discontinued. (I used them because
most others require you to buy a minimum of 100 of the same value - takes
up too much space).

What's the best alternative? It would be nice to get the same make and
therefore body colour. ;-)

They are so cheap that buying e.g. 10 of each value from 10 to 1 meg
from RS isn't going to break the bank

and you can buy them in 10s

In fact I'm getting just a leetle ****ed off with RS

last time I bought 100 1N4007s they came individually bagged - pain in
the arse to unpack

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

raden wrote:
They are so cheap that buying e.g. 10 of each value from 10 to 1 meg
from RS isn't going to break the bank

and you can buy them in 10s

In fact I'm getting just a leetle ****ed off with RS

last time I bought 100 1N4007s they came individually bagged - pain in
the arse to unpack

You forgot the paper bags that the individually plastic-bagged items all
came in. Each paper bag solemnly informs us that "These are the
components you ordered from RS".

Can't they get pills for an overactive bagging department?

--
Ian White

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
My 'stock' is beginning to get depleted. It is based on the Maplin 0.6w
metal film type which they seem to have discontinued. (I used them because
most others require you to buy a minimum of 100 of the same value - takes
up too much space).

What's the best alternative? It would be nice to get the same make and
therefore body colour. ;-)

I've just looked at the latest Maplin catalogue (bought a few days ago), and
they still list these resistors (Metal film 0.6 W).
Something to keep in mind: I went to their new store in Parkway Road
(Camden) to buy some CPU thermal pads. They didn't have any, and said that
they had been discontinued. I was told that the Tottenham Court Road branch
had 5 left.
I went to that branch and bought some from them; and upon enquiring about
their discontinuation, I was told that they knew nothing about it.

Sylvain.

--
*A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Ian White
writes
raden wrote:
They are so cheap that buying e.g. 10 of each value from 10 to 1 meg
from RS isn't going to break the bank

and you can buy them in 10s

In fact I'm getting just a leetle ****ed off with RS

last time I bought 100 1N4007s they came individually bagged - pain in
the arse to unpack

You forgot the paper bags that the individually plastic-bagged items
all came in. Each paper bag solemnly informs us that "These are the
components you ordered from RS".

Can't they get pills for an overactive bagging department?

I've just been on their website - I can't find their mission statement

hopefully this means that they are on the road to recovery

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-12-28 22:19:14 +0000, Ian White said:

raden wrote:
They are so cheap that buying e.g. 10 of each value from 10 to 1 meg
from RS isn't going to break the bank

and you can buy them in 10s

In fact I'm getting just a leetle ****ed off with RS

last time I bought 100 1N4007s they came individually bagged - pain in
the arse to unpack

You forgot the paper bags that the individually plastic-bagged items
all came in. Each paper bag solemnly informs us that "These are the
components you ordered from RS".

Can't they get pills for an overactive bagging department?

It seems to happen more if you order late in the evening rather than
earlier and I suspect has to do with their 2000 cut off time.

I've noticed that if I place an order around 1800-1930 very little of
the contents of the box is packed in paper baggies.

Leave it until 2300 or later and a lot of extra paper bags end up being used.

I'm wondering if the packers are rushed earlier on and skip these steps
and bored later.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sylvain VAN DER WALDE wrote:

I've just looked at the latest Maplin catalogue (bought a few days ago), and
they still list these resistors (Metal film 0.6 W).
Something to keep in mind: I went to their new store in Parkway Road
(Camden) to buy some CPU thermal pads. They didn't have any, and said that
they had been discontinued. I was told that the Tottenham Court Road branch
had 5 left.
I went to that branch and bought some from them; and upon enquiring about
their discontinuation, I was told that they knew nothing about it.

A couple of years ago I got quite excited about a new microcontroller
chip, a very capable Atmel device, if memory serves me correctly.
Anyway, strode confidently into the shop, waded over the RC-cars,
joy-rider BOOM-boxes, Disco-Dave Decks, etc. to be told, that although
these were standard items, each shop had to get "so-many" pre-orders /
requests before the shop would be allocated stock... "So sir, would you
like to order one?". Sod that.

I'm afraid Maplin has changed for the growing market, and the old days
of hobbiest electonics has long gone.

remembers, fondly, the days of Tandy, with their idiosyncratic
component selection
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE wrote:
I've just looked at the latest Maplin catalogue (bought a few days ago),
and they still list these resistors (Metal film 0.6 W).

The website only lists three values. I'd guess it's more up to date than a
catalogue.

--
*Avoid clichés like the plague. (They're old hat.) *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article om,
wrote:
What's the best alternative? It would be nice to get the same make and
therefore body colour. ;-)

check out Rapid Electronics. Its one of the wiki suppliers listed. As
well as pks of 100 they do selection kits, and prices are good.

Yes - it's one of the first I looked at. Their MF60 range looks ok - but
hasn't the full range I was expecting - it stops at 1 meg. Good value,
though.

--
*Cleaned by Stevie Wonder, checked by David Blunkett*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
raden wrote:
You forgot the paper bags that the individually plastic-bagged items
all came in. Each paper bag solemnly informs us that "These are the
components you ordered from RS".

Can't they get pills for an overactive bagging department?

I've just been on their website - I can't find their mission statement

hopefully this means that they are on the road to recovery

I can't find *anything* on that bl***y website. Thought it was just my
ancient browser but I've now got both IE 7 and the latest Firefox and it's
useless on those too.

--
*Arkansas State Motto: Don't Ask, Don't Tell, Don't Laugh.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ian White" wrote in message
news
raden wrote:
They are so cheap that buying e.g. 10 of each value from 10 to 1 meg
from RS isn't going to break the bank

and you can buy them in 10s

In fact I'm getting just a leetle ****ed off with RS

last time I bought 100 1N4007s they came individually bagged - pain in
the arse to unpack

You forgot the paper bags that the individually plastic-bagged items all
came in. Each paper bag solemnly informs us that "These are the
components you ordered from RS".

Can't they get pills for an overactive bagging department?

--
Ian White

Those RS paper bags remind me strongly of sweet shops 30 years ago. The type
where you'd ask for 1/4lb of chocolate buttons and 1/4lb of shrimps - that
sort of thing. The bags smell exactly the same.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon wrote:

You forgot the paper bags that the individually plastic-bagged items all
came in. Each paper bag solemnly informs us that "These are the
components you ordered from RS".

Can't they get pills for an overactive bagging department?

--
Ian White

Those RS paper bags remind me strongly of sweet shops 30 years ago. The type
where you'd ask for 1/4lb of chocolate buttons and 1/4lb of shrimps - that
sort of thing. The bags smell exactly the same.

Yes, they do!

If they were serious about wanting us to unpack each paper bag
carefully, the printing would say: "These bags contain the components
you ordered, plus some mint humbugs with our compliments." Then there'd
be some point in wrapping each components in plastic as well, to stop
them getting sticky.

But given the performance of some of their couriers, don't ever touch
the RS complimentary shrimps.

--
Ian White

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article 45946fdc.0@entanet,
Mike Dodd wrote:
A couple of years ago I got quite excited about a new microcontroller
chip, a very capable Atmel device, if memory serves me correctly.
Anyway, strode confidently into the shop, waded over the RC-cars,
joy-rider BOOM-boxes, Disco-Dave Decks, etc. to be told, that although
these were standard items, each shop had to get "so-many" pre-orders /
requests before the shop would be allocated stock... "So sir, would you
like to order one?". Sod that.

But it makes sense. You can't expect all their shops to stock the full
catalogue. However, what has changed is that at one time if the shop
didn't stock it you'd get it sent free from the warehouse.

--
*Why is 'abbreviation' such a long word?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Robbo wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
My 'stock' is beginning to get depleted. It is based on the Maplin
0.6w metal film type which they seem to have discontinued. (I used
them because most others require you to buy a minimum of 100 of the
same value - takes up too much space).

What's the best alternative? It would be nice to get the same make and
therefore body colour. ;-)

Try EBay
9708467576

Not a bad deal, but carriage costs are too high.

--
*(on a baby-size shirt) "Party -- my crib -- two a.m

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
My 'stock' is beginning to get depleted. It is based on the Maplin 0.6w
metal film type which they seem to have discontinued. (I used them because
most others require you to buy a minimum of 100 of the same value - takes
up too much space).

What's the best alternative? It would be nice to get the same make and
therefore body colour. ;-)

A year or so ago, Maplin were doing a special offer on a bundle of
E12 resistor values, and I picked up a couple of sets to replenish
my stock. Funnily enough, I originally started it some 30 years ago
with an E12 set from Rapid Electronics which someone else mentioned,
although I haven't ever thought of looking at Rapid Electronics since.
Other than the bundles I bought just recently, I tend to top them up
when I'm placing Maplin or CPC orders (although Maplin orders have
become almost non-existant in recent years).

The other thing I kept an eye out for were special offers on Racco
drawer units with 12 rows and all equal drawer sizes, which are
ideal for storing E12 (or E24 with multiple drawer sets). For some
reason, the Racco drawers with fewer wide drawers at the bottom are
often on special offer, but the ones with all equal drawer sizes
are more expensive, harder to find, and rarely on offer. I have got
enough now though (a local engineering company had a faulty one on
offer which I repaired, and then CPC had them on sale a year or so
back).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Robbo wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
My 'stock' is beginning to get depleted. It is based on the Maplin
0.6w metal film type which they seem to have discontinued. (I used
them because most others require you to buy a minimum of 100 of the
same value - takes up too much space).

What's the best alternative? It would be nice to get the same make and
therefore body colour. ;-)

Try EBay
9708467576

Not a bad deal, but carriage costs are too high.

Have you checked their own website?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

raden wrote:
You forgot the paper bags that the individually plastic-bagged items
all came in. Each paper bag solemnly informs us that "These are the
components you ordered from RS".

Can't they get pills for an overactive bagging department?

I've just been on their website - I can't find their mission statement

hopefully this means that they are on the road to recovery

I can't find *anything* on that bl***y website. Thought it was just my
ancient browser but I've now got both IE 7 and the latest Firefox and it's
useless on those too.

Crap, isn't it

and I don't have any catalogues here at home

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Robbo wrote:
Try EBay
9708467576

Not a bad deal, but carriage costs are too high.

Have you checked their own website?

No - but I will do, thanks.

--
*Two wrongs are only the beginning *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Robbo wrote:
Not a bad deal, but carriage costs are too high.

Have you checked their own website?

Doesn't seem to do much. ;-)

--
*I speak fluent patriarchy but it's not my mother tongue

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 09:57:39 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

However, what has changed is that at one time if the shop
didn't stock it you'd get it sent free from the warehouse.

An change in attitude obviously straight from the lips of a marketing
asshole that makes it even less likely I'll ever visit them again.
Previously it was such policies that marked them apart as a company
that did give a **** about customer service. Anyway given the
seemingly random nature of the layout in their stores where even the
staff sometimes have problems finding stock I'm unlikely to visit them
again, ordering online is usually much less painful.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 08:38:53 +0000, Ian White
wrote:

If they were serious about wanting us to unpack each paper bag
carefully, the printing would say: "These bags contain the components
you ordered, plus some mint humbugs with our compliments." Then there'd
be some point in wrapping each components in plastic as well, to stop
them getting sticky.

One engineering supplier who I occasionally use drop a mars bar into
all their parcels.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

raden wrote:
You forgot the paper bags that the individually plastic-bagged items
all came in. Each paper bag solemnly informs us that "These are the
components you ordered from RS".

Can't they get pills for an overactive bagging department?

I've just been on their website - I can't find their mission statement

hopefully this means that they are on the road to recovery

I can't find *anything* on that bl***y website. Thought it was just my
ancient browser but I've now got both IE 7 and the latest Firefox and it's
useless on those too.

Crap, isn't it

and I don't have any catalogues here at home

I really struggle to see how anyone could use the RS website without a
catalogue or a stock code to hand. The other week I was trying to
order a cooling fan but on this occasion without my usual printed
catalogue to guide me. Utilising the parameters on the right hand of
a page to narrow down the choice was utterly hopeless.

RS stock around 500 different axial fans

Being flexible on fan dimensions and drilling down on voltage you
might have a choice of the following fans to choose from.

1 x 230-240vAC
3 x 220-240vAC
4 x 230v
13 x 230vAC
2 x 230VAC
4 x 230v AC
3 x 240vAC
4x 230v(AC)

So loads of stock codes that could all realistically be used on UK
mains supplies but there is no possibility of opening all of them in
tabs or in new windows as javascript is used on all links so neither
right clicking nor shift clicking works.

Abandoning the voltage and narrowing down on airflow results in a
whole series of figures from 1 cubic metre per hour to 1000 cubic
metres per hours. Somewhere about 8 pages of items, 30 to a page, such
as a fan that delivers 209.9 cubic metres per hour and another that
does 210 - as if it makes even the slightest difference. WTF they
can't they group them into more sensible groups? Also they can't even
properly sort the parameters so 55 cubic metres per hour fans are
immediately adjacent to those doing 555 cubic metres per hour - with
that being followed by a fan that does 5.6 cubic metres per hour.

Also when in a section of a printed catalogue it is intuitive to widen
out a search to immediately adjacent items with similar but differing
characteristics, in the electronic version any hierarchy that ought to
be easy to implement is fundamentally missing. As a user with a
printed catalogue and plugging in the stock codes online I'd give them
an 8 or 9 out of 10. If I was a user with only an online catalogue
I'd not even award them 1 out of 10.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Robbo wrote:
Not a bad deal, but carriage costs are too high.

Have you checked their own website?

Doesn't seem to do much. ;-)

But it does give an address and contact details from which you can get your
bits

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mike Dodd" wrote in message
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE wrote:

[...]

I still have one of their "Micronta" talking programmable clocks. Used
almost every day.

Sylvain.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
RS (with help from Sun) broke their website a couple of years ago - no
opening in a new tab/window, no deep linking, Search is worse as well.
Most of us in work use Farnell instead for this reason - and the
catalogues for RS.

Chris

--
Spamtrap in use
To email replace 127.0.0.1 with btinternet dot com