Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Resistors

In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
My 'stock' is beginning to get depleted. It is based on the Maplin 0.6w
metal film type which they seem to have discontinued. (I used them because
most others require you to buy a minimum of 100 of the same value - takes
up too much space).

What's the best alternative? It would be nice to get the same make and
therefore body colour. ;-)

A year or so ago, Maplin were doing a special offer on a bundle of
E12 resistor values, and I picked up a couple of sets to replenish
my stock. Funnily enough, I originally started it some 30 years ago
with an E12 set from Rapid Electronics which someone else mentioned,
although I haven't ever thought of looking at Rapid Electronics since.
Other than the bundles I bought just recently, I tend to top them up
when I'm placing Maplin or CPC orders (although Maplin orders have
become almost non-existant in recent years).

The other thing I kept an eye out for were special offers on Racco
drawer units with 12 rows and all equal drawer sizes, which are
ideal for storing E12 (or E24 with multiple drawer sets). For some
reason, the Racco drawers with fewer wide drawers at the bottom are
often on special offer, but the ones with all equal drawer sizes
are more expensive, harder to find, and rarely on offer. I have got
enough now though (a local engineering company had a faulty one on
offer which I repaired, and then CPC had them on sale a year or so
back).

--
Andrew Gabriel