Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Our refuse collection

It used to be weekly. Recently it's been fortnightly. The gang said that it
was because the amount of rubbish in the bins had reduced considerably in
recent months and most bins were less than half full.

Hurrah!

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:
It used to be weekly. Recently it's been fortnightly. The gang said that it
was because the amount of rubbish in the bins had reduced considerably in
recent months and most bins were less than half full.

Lucky you - I've had one collection in 3 months (or they may have
managed it twice, I forget). My local refuse operatives have
apparently, over the years, contrived to get householders to do half
their job for them by way of depositing bin liners on the pavement, and
I won't play ball with the lazy sods. (The council's stated policy is
collection from bins easily accessed on premises).

--
"Programmers do it in loops."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Laird" wrote in message
ups.com...
Mary Fisher wrote:

Lucky you - I've had one collection in 3 months (or they may have
managed it twice, I forget). My local refuse operatives have
apparently, over the years, contrived to get householders to do half
their job for them by way of depositing bin liners on the pavement, and
I won't play ball with the lazy sods.

If you won't play ball why should they ?

:-)

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-12-15 11:13:46 +0000, "John Laird" said:

Mary Fisher wrote:
It used to be weekly. Recently it's been fortnightly. The gang said that it
was because the amount of rubbish in the bins had reduced considerably in
recent months and most bins were less than half full.

Lucky you - I've had one collection in 3 months (or they may have
managed it twice, I forget). My local refuse operatives have
apparently, over the years, contrived to get householders to do half
their job for them by way of depositing bin liners on the pavement, and
I won't play ball with the lazy sods. (The council's stated policy is
collection from bins easily accessed on premises).

Deliver to reception of council offices?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mary Fisher" wrote:
It used to be weekly. Recently it's been fortnightly. The gang said that
it was because the amount of rubbish in the bins had reduced considerably
in recent months and most bins were less than half full.

Hurrah!

Mary

You must be very gullible if you believe that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Handy" wrote in message
"Mary Fisher" wrote:
It used to be weekly. Recently it's been fortnightly. The gang said that
it was because the amount of rubbish in the bins had reduced considerably
in recent months and most bins were less than half full.

Hurrah!

Mary

You must be very gullible if you believe that.

I believe it because I've noticed that neoighbours haven't had bins
overflowing with rubbish recently.

You have no reason not to believe it though :-)

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:
"John Laird" wrote in message
ups.com...
Mary Fisher wrote:

Lucky you - I've had one collection in 3 months (or they may have
managed it twice, I forget). My local refuse operatives have
apparently, over the years, contrived to get householders to do half
their job for them by way of depositing bin liners on the pavement, and
I won't play ball with the lazy sods.

If you won't play ball why should they ?

It's not supposed to be a ball-game, more a supplier and customer
thing.

[Don't worry, I noticed the smiley.]

--
"SPECIMEN: An Italian astronaut."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-12-15 11:13:46 +0000, "John Laird" said:

Lucky you - I've had one collection in 3 months (or they may have
managed it twice, I forget). My local refuse operatives have
apparently, over the years, contrived to get householders to do half
their job for them by way of depositing bin liners on the pavement, and
I won't play ball with the lazy sods. (The council's stated policy is
collection from bins easily accessed on premises).

Deliver to reception of council offices?

They're not in when I'm in, sadly. I can manage, but I shouldn't have
to. The service is paid for, under threat of prosecution, and not
provided.

--
"Science asks why. I ask why not."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Laird" wrote in message
oups.com...

They're not in when I'm in, sadly. I can manage, but I shouldn't have
to. The service is paid for, under threat of prosecution, and not
provided.

We have an excellent service, not everyone seems to be as fortunate.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:

It used to be weekly. Recently it's been fortnightly. The gang said that it
was because the amount of rubbish in the bins had reduced considerably in
recent months and most bins were less than half full.

So they're claiming that they're doing it to make supply meet demand,
and less is obviously better in this case, but if the bins had been
overflowing every week do you really think they'd come twice as often?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mary Fisher" wrote

It used to be weekly. Recently it's been fortnightly. The gang said that
it was because the amount of rubbish in the bins had reduced considerably
in recent months and most bins were less than half full.

We recently received notice of the Xmas collection times.
Our 26th collection has been deferred to 3rd Jan. Therefore this will lead
to 15 days between collections over busy Xmas period.
"We" are a family of four who, recycling everthing possible and composting
all kitchen waste, can just about manage on weekly collections.
Rang the council to get the low-down on what to do with the extra week's
rubbish.
Took the girlie about an hour to discover that additional rubbish, properly
bagged, will be removed along with wheelie bin contents.
So why not tell us in the collection times notice?

Phil

(Fed-up-of-paying-more-for-lesser-service)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 10:55:49 -0000 someone who may be "Mary Fisher"
wrote this:-

It used to be weekly. Recently it's been fortnightly. The gang said that it
was because the amount of rubbish in the bins had reduced considerably in
recent months and most bins were less than half full.

Hurrah!

Good news indeed.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...
It used to be weekly. Recently it's been fortnightly. The gang said that
it was because the amount of rubbish in the bins had reduced considerably
in recent months and most bins were less than half full.

Hurrah!

Mary

That can hardly be the case unless manufacturers are using less packaging
and I don't think that's the case at all. We have a grey wheelie bin that's
used for "general" rubbish, i.e., stuff that doesn't fall into one of the
recycling categories, and that's emptied fortnightly.

On the weeks that alternate with that, our recycling stuff is collected and
that consists of a brown wheelie bin for garden waste (grass, windfall
fruits, twigs, dead flowers etc), a blue box with a yellow lid for cans, a
blue box with a red lid for cardboard and plastic bottles, a blue box for
glass bottles and a blue box for newspapers, phone directories, catalogues
etc.

Because there's less garden waste in the winter months the council don't
empty the brown wheelie bin between about October and February or March but
everything else is still collected in it's fortnightly rotation - and people
round here are still putting out as much as ever.

JellyBelly

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:
It used to be weekly. Recently it's been fortnightly. The gang said that it
was because the amount of rubbish in the bins had reduced considerably in
recent months and most bins were less than half full.

Hurrah!

Mary

Welcome to what the rest of the country is doing!

In our case, Bristol, we've been like this for *ages*.

When they first introduced it I was concerned that even with the
'compost' bin and recycle box they provided our main bin would be
overflowing given the fortnightly collection. However, I'm happy to
have been proven wrong - very wrong - indeed I now recycle
*considerably* more than I ever have done and it's thanks to this
intiative forcing me to.

Indeed, most of our road (including us) were moaning when they heard
about the new plans but I think it's fair to say we're all actually
quite pleased with the result.

I really don't know what the people on the news reports are moaning
about... I can't see why people's main bins are overflowing and
attracting vermin etc... presumably they are failing to recycle what
they can, particularly as far as leftover/waste food is concerned.

Mathew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15 Dec 2006 06:42:52 -0800 someone who may be "Mathew Newton"
wrote this:-

When they first introduced it I was concerned that even with the
'compost' bin and recycle box they provided our main bin would be
overflowing given the fortnightly collection. However, I'm happy to
have been proven wrong - very wrong - indeed I now recycle
*considerably* more than I ever have done and it's thanks to this
intiative forcing me to.

Indeed.

Indeed, most of our road (including us) were moaning when they heard
about the new plans but I think it's fair to say we're all actually
quite pleased with the result.

Glad to hear it.

I really don't know what the people on the news reports are moaning
about... I can't see why people's main bins are overflowing and
attracting vermin etc... presumably they are failing to recycle what
they can, particularly as far as leftover/waste food is concerned.

That will probably produce a burst of fury from some people on this
group, claiming that you are lying or don't know what you are
talking about.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15 Dec 2006 06:42:52 -0800, "Mathew Newton"
wrote:

Mary Fisher wrote:
It used to be weekly. Recently it's been fortnightly. The gang said that it
was because the amount of rubbish in the bins had reduced considerably in
recent months and most bins were less than half full.

Hurrah!

Mary

Welcome to what the rest of the country is doing!

The rest of the country?

It's still weekly here.

--
Frank Erskine
Sunderland
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:

It used to be weekly. Recently it's been fortnightly. The gang said that
it was because the amount of rubbish in the bins had reduced considerably
in recent months and most bins were less than half full.

So they're claiming that they're doing it to make supply meet demand, and
less is obviously better in this case, but if the bins had been
overflowing every week do you really think they'd come twice as often?

I wonder why my post has engendered such negative responses :-)

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"JellyBelly" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...
It used to be weekly. Recently it's been fortnightly. The gang said that
it was because the amount of rubbish in the bins had reduced considerably
in recent months and most bins were less than half full.

Hurrah!

Mary

That can hardly be the case unless manufacturers are using less packaging
and I don't think that's the case at all.

It could be that people are beiing more conscientious about putting
recyclable matter into the appropriate bin instead of idly shoving it all in
one.

We have a grey wheelie bin that's used for "general" rubbish, i.e., stuff
that doesn't fall into one of the recycling categories, and that's emptied
fortnightly.

Ours is brown, that's the one which will now be collected fortnightly.

Our green (recycled paper, cardboard, plastics) is collected monthly.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mathew Newton" wrote in message
oups.com...

Mary Fisher wrote:
It used to be weekly. Recently it's been fortnightly. The gang said that
it
was because the amount of rubbish in the bins had reduced considerably in
recent months and most bins were less than half full.

Hurrah!

Mary

Welcome to what the rest of the country is doing!

In our case, Bristol, we've been like this for *ages*.

When they first introduced it I was concerned that even with the
'compost' bin and recycle box they provided our main bin would be
overflowing given the fortnightly collection. However, I'm happy to
have been proven wrong - very wrong - indeed I now recycle
*considerably* more than I ever have done and it's thanks to this
intiative forcing me to.

Excellent!

Indeed, most of our road (including us) were moaning when they heard
about the new plans but I think it's fair to say we're all actually
quite pleased with the result.

People moan about ANY change. Think what they'd do if we reverted to the
open cart and metal dustbins!

I really don't know what the people on the news reports are moaning
about... I can't see why people's main bins are overflowing and
attracting vermin etc... presumably they are failing to recycle what
they can, particularly as far as leftover/waste food is concerned.

Our wheelie bins are vermin-proof. There should never be leftover food
though. If there is, people are over-catering and wasting money.

Mary

Mathew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:

I wonder why my post has engendered such negative responses :-)

I deliberately tried to make mine less negative, by saying that if the
reason given was genuine, it was a good thing, however it it just too
easy to believe that it either isn't true, or fits the council's agenda,
it wouldn't happen in reverse ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15 Dec 2006 14:22:56 GMT, Huge wrote:

Increasingly common. I was told yesterday that the police in Northants
will no longer attend alarm activations at domestic premises. I imagine
their council tax has not decreased at all.

I have just received a note from my "friendly local council[1]" that from
July 2001 refuse collection will be made only once per fortnight, one the
alternate weeks the council will only remove "recyclable materials. Where
the definition of "recyclable" is "paper, cardboard, tin cans and PET
bottles." umm that's it. There will also be provision of a "free bag for
the collection of garden waste."

So since I already compost all of the waste from the garden, and I compost
all the waste paper and cardboard or alternatively burn it for fuel in a
multifuel stove, what this "good news" means is that I get colelctions of
refuse halved *and* council tax is to be massively increased with a
revaluation to add to the increase. We don't buy much in cans or in PET, so
my "recyclable materials" bin will mostly be empty.

[1] AKA "That Useless Bunch of Gob****es"
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Rob is offline

Steve Firth wrote:
On 15 Dec 2006 14:22:56 GMT, Huge wrote:

I compost
all the waste paper and cardboard or alternatively burn it for fuel in a
multifuel stove,

Do you compact the paper/card into bricks in some way (other than
scrunch it up!)? If so how?

Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 18:20:10 +0000, Rob wrote:

Do you compact the paper/card into bricks in some way (other than
scrunch it up!)? If so how?

No, just roll up newspapers and crimp the roll to stop it unwinding. As
long as it's a mixed load of fuel the paper burns away to ash.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Rob is offline

Steve Firth wrote:
On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 18:20:10 +0000, Rob wrote:

Do you compact the paper/card into bricks in some way (other than
scrunch it up!)? If so how?

No, just roll up newspapers and crimp the roll to stop it unwinding. As
long as it's a mixed load of fuel the paper burns away to ash.

OK, thanks. I think some sort of domestic paper press would be a useful
addition to homes with multi-fuel fires.

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message .com
from "Mathew Newton" contains these words:

When they first introduced it I was concerned that even with the
'compost' bin and recycle box they provided our main bin would be
overflowing given the fortnightly collection. However, I'm happy to
have been proven wrong - very wrong - indeed I now recycle
*considerably* more than I ever have done and it's thanks to this
intiative forcing me to.

Much the same here. If we miss a fortnightly collection it's rarely
close to full even after a month. And before anyone asks - we're a
family of four.

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 19:04:05 +0000, Rob wrote:

OK, thanks. I think some sort of domestic paper press would be a useful
addition to homes with multi-fuel fires.

ICBA, all the ones I have seen involve wetting the paper and pressing it
into a brick which then (presumably) takes days to dry out. In future I'm
thinking of getting a pellet making machine to turn olive wood chips into
stove pellets. If I get one I'll experiment adding shredded paper to the
chips.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Huge
writes
On 2006-12-15 11:13:46 +0000, "John Laird" said:

Lucky you - I've had one collection in 3 months (or they may have
managed it twice, I forget). My local refuse operatives have
apparently, over the years, contrived to get householders to do half
their job for them by way of depositing bin liners on the pavement, and
I won't play ball with the lazy sods. (The council's stated policy is
collection from bins easily accessed on premises).

Deliver to reception of council offices?

They're not in when I'm in, sadly. I can manage, but I shouldn't have
to. The service is paid for, under threat of prosecution, and not
provided.

Increasingly common. I was told yesterday that the police in Northants
will no longer attend alarm activations at domestic premises. I imagine
their council tax has not decreased at all.

They suddenly found 300+ in Ipswich

At lest if you paid the Mafia protection money, they came round
once a week to collect it.

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Laird wrote:

My local refuse operatives have
apparently, over the years, contrived to get householders to do half
their job for them by way of depositing bin liners on the pavement, and
I won't play ball with the lazy sods. (The council's stated policy is
collection from bins easily accessed on premises).

We are told to place refuse/recycling at the property boundary, NOT on
the public footpath.

The council have now pointed out (in their annual bank holiday
collection re-organisation leaflet) that, "as from April 2006 this
Authority has the power to impose a fine of £100 on residents
presenting their refuse on the pavement."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:
I believe it because I've noticed that neoighbours haven't had bins
overflowing with rubbish recently.

You have no reason not to believe it though :-)

Mary

Just wait for the half capacity bins to be phased in, here its 120 L
replacing 240 L if the bin gets damaged/nicked.
2 weekly collections and half size bin really makes life difficult at
times, hence the woman in next local authority areas efforts to
highlight the health issues. Still they do allow us two 240 L recycling
bins!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:
[...]

I wish I could get our council to pick up our recycled bin. we are disabled
and have to have the paper/glass/tin box collected. no matter how many times
I have rang/emailed we still get missed out. even the intervention of our
local councillors (2) have failed to improve matters. i would love to
recycle but our council is failing us, so all our refuse goes in one bin. I
have even wrote to the council with my concerns and they cannot be bothered
to reply. if this is happening to other disabled persons then how can
councils threaten to prosecute when they can't be bothered? I spoke to the
wagon drivers and they say we are on the assistance register so they will
pick up from our property, this happens the day I speak to them but the next
time (fortnighly) they just drive by even though our recycled bin can be
seen from the front of our property.

dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Terry wrote:
John Laird wrote:

My local refuse operatives have
apparently, over the years, contrived to get householders to do half
their job for them by way of depositing bin liners on the pavement,
and I won't play ball with the lazy sods. (The council's stated
policy is collection from bins easily accessed on premises).

We are told to place refuse/recycling at the property boundary, NOT on
the public footpath.

The council have now pointed out (in their annual bank holiday
collection re-organisation leaflet) that, "as from April 2006 this
Authority has the power to impose a fine of £100 on residents
presenting their refuse on the pavement."

We can get 'fined' £45 for putting rubbish out on the wrong day - even the
night before apparently.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
. uk...
Terry wrote:
John Laird wrote:

My local refuse operatives have
apparently, over the years, contrived to get householders to do half
their job for them by way of depositing bin liners on the pavement,
and I won't play ball with the lazy sods. (The council's stated
policy is collection from bins easily accessed on premises).

We are told to place refuse/recycling at the property boundary, NOT on
the public footpath.

The council have now pointed out (in their annual bank holiday
collection re-organisation leaflet) that, "as from April 2006 this
Authority has the power to impose a fine of £100 on residents
presenting their refuse on the pavement."

We can get 'fined' £45 for putting rubbish out on the wrong day - even the
night before apparently.

Sadly, I doubt Medway will enforce this. Of course, they would not have to
IF people acted responsibly. Why do people feel it is OK to dump household
refuse on the pavement, road, etc.?

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"JellyBelly" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...
It used to be weekly. Recently it's been fortnightly. The gang said that
it was because the amount of rubbish in the bins had reduced considerably
in recent months and most bins were less than half full.

Hurrah!

Mary

That can hardly be the case unless manufacturers are using less packaging
and I don't think that's the case at all.

There is a statutory duty for them to do so, in compliance with the EU
Packaging Waste Directive. However, it is measured by weight, so can often
achieved by making the packaging thinner, rather than smaller overall.

It usually takes me about 2-3 weeks to produce the amount of general waste
that would fill a bin. The recycling bin, which is collected fortnightly, is
usually full, but a lot of that is PETG bottles, which are bulky.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 10:24:54 GMT someone who may be "Brian Reay"
wrote this:-

We can get 'fined' £45 for putting rubbish out on the wrong day - even the
night before apparently.

Sadly, I doubt Medway will enforce this. Of course, they would not have to
IF people acted responsibly. Why do people feel it is OK to dump household
refuse on the pavement, road, etc.?

It is not always a matter of dumping things. The City of Edinburgh
Council have kidnapped waste bins from some restaurants. Their
"crime" was to "present" (what a ridiculous word) their bins
overnight.

The Council arrogantly assert that businesses should "present" their
bin at certain times. The only problem is that these times are often
quite ridiculous, such as between 07:00 and 08:00. Someone who
closes up a restaurant in the early hours is not going to come back
at 07:00. Neither is someone going to come into an office at that
time.

All it needs is for the Council to be grown up, but that is not
something they are noted for.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dave" wrote in message

[...]

Can't you ask a neighbour to do it for you?

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:

[...]

Perhaps he's under the impression that he's already paid the council to do
so?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 10:24:54 UTC, "Brian Reay"
wrote:

Sadly, I doubt Medway will enforce this. Of course, they would not have to
IF people acted responsibly. Why do people feel it is OK to dump household
refuse on the pavement, road, etc.?

In our case, if we leave it 1mm inside the property line, they don't
take it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve Firth" wrote in message
On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 19:04:05 +0000, Rob wrote:

OK, thanks. I think some sort of domestic paper press would be a useful
addition to homes with multi-fuel fires.

ICBA, all the ones I have seen involve wetting the paper and pressing it
into a brick which then (presumably) takes days to dry out. In future I'm
thinking of getting a pellet making machine to turn olive wood chips into
stove pellets. If I get one I'll experiment adding shredded paper to the
chips.

Days? More like months.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim S" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:

"dave" wrote in message

[...]

I don't think you pay extra for such assistance - you don't in Leeds anyway.

In any case it would keep his blood pressure down if a kindly neighbour
helped out. If we have to be away ours put ours out and in, without our
asking. We do the same for others. It's not exactly hard work and is good
for friendships.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 11:28:46 -0000, "nightjar" nightjar@insert my
surname here.uk.com wrote:

It usually takes me about 2-3 weeks to produce the amount of general waste
that would fill a bin. The recycling bin, which is collected fortnightly, is
usually full, but a lot of that is PETG bottles, which are bulky.

Then crush them down with 10 seconds of effort, tighten the top and
you'll find they will scrunch up so small you can chuck everything in
the normal bin and forget about recycling.

Refuse To Build A House love2b-single@________.com Home Repair 5 April 28th 06 06:52 AM
Website / collection update - The Daniel Collection The Daniel Collection Woodturning 0 December 31st 05 09:45 PM
collection Collectomania Metalworking 0 March 10th 04 08:00 AM
If I refuse a grizzly shipment, will they blacklist me? benwoodward.com Metalworking 25 February 8th 04 01:49 PM