Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

Default OT. New online postage stamps?

On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 16:43:48 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 16:37:24 on Thu, 21 Sep

I don't use any measuring spoons, find it easier just to use the
scales, put the mixing bowl on, add the ingredients and reset between
each one.

How does that work when the recipe calls for "cups"?

Throw the book away and next time don't buy one written for retard
yanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc
bof bof is offline

In message , Frank Erskine
writes
On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 21:08:28 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 19:38:22 on Thu, 21 Sep
2006, bof remarked:
If they're US cookbooks then you'll have to convert all the pint
measures to 0.8pint measures.

US recipes don't use pints, they use fluid oz. or cups (which
surprisingly work just as well for liquids as solids).

They also use a lot of quarts.

Which are presumably in line with the 0.8pints and are 0.8quarts
measures.

--
bof at bof dot me dot uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 16:19:07 +0100, "Christian McArdle"
wrote:

Four, usually. The scales are divided into 25gm steps, btw. But they
wobble around a lot.

Get better scales. Mine go in 5g increments and test well against known
weights. If I was close to the line, I'd probably go up a postage increment
just to be sure.

Mine are 0.1g but I don't use them for cooking very often

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

In message , at 21:44:49 on
Thu, 21 Sep 2006, Matt remarked:
I don't use any measuring spoons, find it easier just to use the
scales, put the mixing bowl on, add the ingredients and reset between
each one.

How does that work when the recipe calls for "cups"?

Throw the book away and next time don't buy one written for retard
yanks.

Get out of bed the wrong side did we?
--
Roland Perry

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

In message , at 21:43:15 on
Thu, 21 Sep 2006, Frank Erskine remarked:
US recipes don't use pints, they use fluid oz. or cups (which
surprisingly work just as well for liquids as solids).

They also use a lot of quarts.

How big of a cake are you baking that needs a quart of milk?
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

In message , at 21:50:43 on Thu, 21 Sep
2006, bof remarked:
US recipes don't use pints, they use fluid oz. or cups (which
surprisingly work just as well for liquids as solids).

They also use a lot of quarts.

Which are presumably in line with the 0.8pints and are 0.8quarts
measures.

I can't really see what the problem is. Don't you have a measuring jug
in US units as well as UK? It's only a dollar's worth of plastic, after
all. (Although the one I have here only has Ounces, Cups and Metric;
it's a bit small for quarts - we are mixing food, not wallpaper paste!)
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

In message , at 21:43:39 on Thu, 21 Sep
2006, bof remarked:

If they're US cookbooks then you'll have to convert all the pint
measures to 0.8pint measures.

US recipes don't use pints, they use fluid oz. or cups (which
surprisingly work just as well for liquids as solids).

Ah, OK I don't have any US cookbooks, which I guess is why I've not
come across 'cup' or 'fluid oz.' as a measurement,

I don't have any US cookbooks either, but I have some recipes; and if
you buy food in the USA the instructions on the packet will use the
local units.
--
Roland Perry

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc
bof bof is offline

In message , Roland Perry
writes
In message , at 21:50:43 on Thu, 21 Sep
2006, bof remarked:
US recipes don't use pints, they use fluid oz. or cups (which
surprisingly work just as well for liquids as solids).

They also use a lot of quarts.

Which are presumably in line with the 0.8pints and are 0.8quarts
measures.

I can't really see what the problem is. Don't you have a measuring jug
in US units as well as UK?

I've no idea, like I said I don't have any recipe books written in cups
and quarts, so the issue has never arisen.

--
bof at bof dot me dot uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

They also use a lot of quarts.

A US quart is almost exactly a litre.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc
bof bof is offline

In message , Roland Perry
writes
In message , at 21:43:39 on Thu, 21 Sep
2006, bof remarked:

If they're US cookbooks then you'll have to convert all the pint
measures to 0.8pint measures.

US recipes don't use pints, they use fluid oz. or cups (which
surprisingly work just as well for liquids as solids).

Ah, OK I don't have any US cookbooks, which I guess is why I've not
come across 'cup' or 'fluid oz.' as a measurement,

I don't have any US cookbooks either, but I have some recipes; and if
you buy food in the USA the instructions on the packet will use the
local units.

If I buy food in the US it's invariably been prepared by the owner of
the premises, and the hotel rooms don't have measuring jugs anyway.

--
bof at bof dot me dot uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 09:18:58 -0500, William Munns wrote:

"Brian Morrison" wrote in message
On 19/09/2006 William Munns wrote:
And in response to your other post, you already have one of those
everlasting books of stamps, 6 stamps which are valid and an infinate
number of 'not stamps' which you can 'not peel' and 'not stick' to you
envolopes leaving them with 'no postage'.

True, however I think that it is uncommon to post anything without first
stamping it. The repeated printing of a bar-coded stamp encourages this
by having an effectively invalid stamp. The "not stamp" in my book of
stamps doesn't have that same property.

OK, perhaps I am being dumb here, you try to defraud the PO {by printing the
stamp multiple times/by excluding a stamp}, you know you are in the wrong
and you post the letter, in a postbox on the street where no-one can see you
close enough to {see/even tell if you had used} a stamp. The letter goes to
the PO and they see it {has no stamp/uses a faulty barcode}. The letter gets
treeted as 2nd (or worse) and gets delivered to the PO of the destination
address where they forward a message to the recipient telling them about
lack of postage.

I don't know where you see the diffrence, the detection point is the same,
the person who pays is the same, the social stigma is the same, the only
diffrence I can see is if dumb people try to defraud the PO in this way they
might not expect to be caught, but they will be, but then dumb people have
been posting letters without postage for a long time, and the PO deals with
them already.

Agreed. It could be even easier to track fraudsters down with this system,
if the stamp included the sender's address.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

Jules wrote:
On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 08:08:28 +0100, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 21:43:39 on Thu, 21 Sep
2006, bof remarked:

If they're US cookbooks then you'll have to convert all the pint
measures to 0.8pint measures.
US recipes don't use pints, they use fluid oz. or cups (which
surprisingly work just as well for liquids as solids).
Ah, OK I don't have any US cookbooks, which I guess is why I've not
come across 'cup' or 'fluid oz.' as a measurement,

I don't have any US cookbooks either, but I have some recipes; and if
you buy food in the USA the instructions on the packet will use the
local units.

Indeed - everything I've seen here tends to use cups for liquid measures
to add to things.

I really must write down some sort of conversion table though as at the
moment I've got no clue as to how cups / oz / g / ml / quarts / US gallons
/ UK gallons / litres / liters compare... :-)

You can easily do it in Google. Just google for something like "2 US qus
in ml"

Of course you might not have Google in your kitchen, so a chart might be
more useful.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

wrote:

In message , at 21:44:49 on
Thu, 21 Sep 2006, Matt remarked:
I don't use any measuring spoons, find it easier just to use the
scales, put the mixing bowl on, add the ingredients and reset between
each one.

How does that work when the recipe calls for "cups"?

Throw the book away and next time don't buy one written for retard
yanks.

Get out of bed the wrong side did we?

No

If that's the right side then I feel a little sorry for you

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

In message , at 09:52:29 on Fri, 22 Sep
2006, bof remarked:
I don't have any US cookbooks either, but I have some recipes; and if
you buy food in the USA the instructions on the packet will use the
local units.

If I buy food in the US it's invariably been prepared by the owner of
the premises, and the hotel rooms don't have measuring jugs anyway.

You forgot to mention that this food you buy in the hotel restaurant
doesn't come in packets, either.
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc
bof bof is offline

In message , Roland Perry
writes
In message , at 09:52:29 on Fri, 22 Sep
2006, bof remarked:
I don't have any US cookbooks either, but I have some recipes; and if
you buy food in the USA the instructions on the packet will use the
local units.

If I buy food in the US it's invariably been prepared by the owner of
the premises, and the hotel rooms don't have measuring jugs anyway.

You forgot to mention that this food you buy in the hotel restaurant
doesn't come in packets, either.

Oh I eat places other than hotel restaurants, things like take away
pizzas and hamburgers come in packets.

--
bof at bof dot me dot uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

In message , at 18:55:13 on Fri, 22 Sep
2006, bof remarked:
If I buy food in the US it's invariably been prepared by the owner of
the premises, and the hotel rooms don't have measuring jugs anyway.

You forgot to mention that this food you buy in the hotel restaurant
doesn't come in packets, either.

Oh I eat places other than hotel restaurants, things like take away
pizzas and hamburgers come in packets.

If you are venturing out to takeaways, I'm surprised you never get as
far as a supermarket. But perhaps you lack a kitchen?
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc
bof bof is offline

In message , Roland Perry
writes
In message , at 18:55:13 on Fri, 22 Sep
2006, bof remarked:
If I buy food in the US it's invariably been prepared by the owner
of the premises, and the hotel rooms don't have measuring jugs anyway.

You forgot to mention that this food you buy in the hotel restaurant
doesn't come in packets, either.

Oh I eat places other than hotel restaurants, things like take away
pizzas and hamburgers come in packets.

If you are venturing out to takeaways, I'm surprised you never get as
far as a supermarket. But perhaps you lack a kitchen?

When I'm staying in USA it's normally just a hotel room, no kitchen :-(

--
bof at bof dot me dot uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

wrote:

In message , at 21:44:49 on
Thu, 21 Sep 2006, Matt remarked:
I don't use any measuring spoons, find it easier just to use the
scales, put the mixing bowl on, add the ingredients and reset between
each one.

How does that work when the recipe calls for "cups"?

Throw the book away and next time don't buy one written for retard
yanks.

Get out of bed the wrong side did we?

No

If that's the right side then I feel a little sorry for you

If that's the wittiest comeback you could come back with after nearly
6 hours I feel sorry for you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

In message , at 12:26:09 on
Sun, 24 Sep 2006, Matt remarked:

wrote:

In message , at 21:44:49 on
Thu, 21 Sep 2006, Matt remarked:
I don't use any measuring spoons, find it easier just to use the
scales, put the mixing bowl on, add the ingredients and reset between
each one.

How does that work when the recipe calls for "cups"?

Throw the book away and next time don't buy one written for retard
yanks.

Get out of bed the wrong side did we?

No

If that's the right side then I feel a little sorry for you

If that's the wittiest comeback you could come back with after nearly
6 hours I feel sorry for you.

Whereas your comeback, some 46hrs later, doesn't need to be witty, I
suppose. Anyway, it wasn't.
--
Roland Perry

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

Matt wrote:

Whereas your comeback, some 46hrs later, doesn't need to be witty, I
suppose. Anyway, it wasn't.

Get out of bed the wrong side did we?

na, he is always miserable ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

In message , at 13:53:35 on
Sun, 24 Sep 2006, Matt remarked:
In message , at 21:44:49 on
Thu, 21 Sep 2006, Matt remarked:
I don't use any measuring spoons, find it easier just to use the
scales, put the mixing bowl on, add the ingredients and reset between
each one.

How does that work when the recipe calls for "cups"?

Throw the book away and next time don't buy one written for retard
yanks.

Get out of bed the wrong side did we?

No

If that's the right side then I feel a little sorry for you

If that's the wittiest comeback you could come back with after nearly
6 hours I feel sorry for you.

Whereas your comeback, some 46hrs later, doesn't need to be witty, I
suppose. Anyway, it wasn't.

Get out of bed the wrong side did we?

No, and you can tell because I didn't call you a retard.
--
Roland Perry

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 14:53:15 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 13:53:35 on
[...]

Neither did I

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

In message , at 17:22:34 on
Sun, 24 Sep 2006, Matt remarked:
I don't use any measuring spoons, find it easier just to use the
scales, put the mixing bowl on, add the ingredients and reset between
each one.

How does that work when the recipe calls for "cups"?

Throw the book away and next time don't buy one written for retard
yanks.

Get out of bed the wrong side did we?

No

If that's the right side then I feel a little sorry for you

If that's the wittiest comeback you could come back with after nearly
6 hours I feel sorry for you.

Whereas your comeback, some 46hrs later, doesn't need to be witty, I
suppose. Anyway, it wasn't.

Get out of bed the wrong side did we?

No, and you can tell because I didn't call you a retard.

Neither did I

You know I'm not a Yank, then?
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 12:26:09 +0100, Matt wrote:
Throw the book away and next time don't buy one written for retard
yanks.

Get out of bed the wrong side did we?

No

If that's the right side then I feel a little sorry for you

If that's the wittiest comeback you could come back with after nearly
6 hours I feel sorry for you.

Given that my current timezone's 6 hours behind you (assuming you're in
the UK), I think I did pretty well :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 23:41:22 +0000, Jules
wrote:

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 12:26:09 +0100, Matt wrote:
Throw the book away and next time don't buy one written for retard
yanks.

Get out of bed the wrong side did we?

No

If that's the right side then I feel a little sorry for you

If that's the wittiest comeback you could come back with after nearly
6 hours I feel sorry for you.

Given that my current timezone's 6 hours behind you (assuming you're in
the UK), I think I did pretty well :-)

If that's the case then how about setting the correct timezone on your
computer? You can't be 6 hours behind UTC with an offset of 00:00 -
unless perhaps you are around 4 billion miles up in outer space sat
directly over the greenwich meridian and thus orbiting the earth at
around 500 million miles an hour.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 17:26:22 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 17:22:34 on
[...]

No, but from the usage of measuring devices there seems to be
overwhelming evidence that you bought a cooking book intended for
somewhere other than the UK

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

In message , at 15:08:05 on
Mon, 25 Sep 2006, Matt remarked:
You know I'm not a Yank, then?

No, but from the usage of measuring devices there seems to be
overwhelming evidence that you bought a cooking book intended for
somewhere other than the UK

If you followed a little more closely you'd see that the recipes in
question weren't from a book. But even if they were, that's no excuse to
describe Americans as "retarded", just because they have the good sense
to use one co-ordinated measure for solids and liquids, while the Brits
struggle with two.
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

"bof" wrote in message
and the hotel rooms don't have measuring jugs anyway.

Every one I have stayed in include a measureing jug, the scale is usually in
"cups" where the translation is about two cups to make up a UK mug.