Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc
Ed Sirett Ed Sirett is offline

Default OT. New online postage stamps?

On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 09:18:58 -0500, William Munns wrote:

"Brian Morrison" wrote in message
On 19/09/2006 William Munns wrote:
And in response to your other post, you already have one of those
everlasting books of stamps, 6 stamps which are valid and an infinate
number of 'not stamps' which you can 'not peel' and 'not stick' to you
envolopes leaving them with 'no postage'.

True, however I think that it is uncommon to post anything without first
stamping it. The repeated printing of a bar-coded stamp encourages this
by having an effectively invalid stamp. The "not stamp" in my book of
stamps doesn't have that same property.

OK, perhaps I am being dumb here, you try to defraud the PO {by printing the
stamp multiple times/by excluding a stamp}, you know you are in the wrong
and you post the letter, in a postbox on the street where no-one can see you
close enough to {see/even tell if you had used} a stamp. The letter goes to
the PO and they see it {has no stamp/uses a faulty barcode}. The letter gets
treeted as 2nd (or worse) and gets delivered to the PO of the destination
address where they forward a message to the recipient telling them about
lack of postage.

I don't know where you see the diffrence, the detection point is the same,
the person who pays is the same, the social stigma is the same, the only
diffrence I can see is if dumb people try to defraud the PO in this way they
might not expect to be caught, but they will be, but then dumb people have
been posting letters without postage for a long time, and the PO deals with
them already.

Agreed. It could be even easier to track fraudsters down with this system,
if the stamp included the sender's address.