Abdullah Eyles

Default New electric drill - recommendations please :)

I have finally killed my (vintage?) Bosch CSB 400-2 drill. It served
me and my father well over the years, but finally succumbed to my
attempts to replace one of the bearings (long story...)

I would like to hear your opinion as to which make and model electric
drill you use or have been happy with...

I will use it for "normal" DIY, including concrete (up to 10mm drill),
steel (not so big!), wood etc. hammer needed, speed control not
necessary (I have an seperate electronic speed controller), reversing
not necessary (I have a seperate Bosch screwdriver). Would prefer
220V, not rechargeable...

I have seen a Matika HP 8450, and a Metabo SBE 560, but will search
more in the following days...

Thanks
Dave Plowman

In article ,
Abdullah Eyles wrote:
I would like to hear your opinion as to which make and model electric
drill you use or have been happy with...

I will use it for "normal" DIY, including concrete (up to 10mm drill),
steel (not so big!), wood etc. hammer needed, speed control not
necessary (I have an seperate electronic speed controller), reversing
not necessary (I have a seperate Bosch screwdriver). Would prefer
220V, not rechargeable...

If you're serious about drilling masonry, you need an SDS drill - hammer
is a waste of time. Then you can buy a cheap and cheerful non hammer drill
for everything else.

--
*Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
IMM

"Abdullah Eyles" wrote in message
om...

I have finally killed my (vintage?) Bosch CSB 400-2 drill. It served
me and my father well over the years, but finally succumbed to my
attempts to replace one of the bearings (long story...)

I would like to hear your opinion as to which make and model electric
drill you use or have been happy with...

I will use it for "normal" DIY, including concrete (up to 10mm drill),
steel (not so big!), wood etc. hammer needed, speed control not
necessary (I have an seperate electronic speed controller), reversing
not necessary (I have a seperate Bosch screwdriver). Would prefer
220V, not rechargeable...

I have seen a Matika HP 8450, and a Metabo SBE 560, but will search
more in the following days...

Sounds like you need as SDS drill, which can also do chiselling. SCrewfix
do a Makita for around £120. Argos do a good Bosch for £99. For a simple
general purpose drill to accompany the SDS, buy a £13-15 cheapo from Argos,
B&Q, etc. Once you have an SDS you will never look back.

---

IMM

"IMM" wrote in message
[...]

Also see the current thread on the JCB SDS drill.

---

Abdullah Eyles

Before this thread get absorbed into the JCB SDS drill thread, I am
not that rich!!! can't afford two drills!!! (her indoors won't accept
that either!!!)

Masonry is not my primary target! mainly plastic (I make things out of
perspex/PVC) and wood...

I will use it for "normal" DIY, including concrete (up to 10mm drill),
steel (not so big!), wood etc. hammer needed, speed control not
necessary (I have an seperate electronic speed controller), reversing
not necessary (I have a seperate Bosch screwdriver). Would prefer
220V, not rechargeable...

I have seen a Matika HP 8450, and a Metabo SBE 560, but will search
more in the following days...

Christian McArdle

Before this thread get absorbed into the JCB SDS drill thread, I am
not that rich!!! can't afford two drills!!! (her indoors won't accept
that either!!!)

Masonry is not my primary target! mainly plastic (I make things out of
perspex/PVC) and wood...

If you are thinking of buying a Makita, you could afford two cheap drills.
If I had any masonry work to do at all, I'd prefer a 29.99 NuTool to the
most expensive standard hammer on the market. Add a 20 quid hammer drill
with reverse and trigger control and you're laughing. Why pay more? (Unless
you are in the trade, so could benefit from something that will provide
better duty cycles before giving in). As wood and plastic are such easy
materials to work with, the 20 quid drill would surely be fine.

Christian.

Dave Plowman

In article ,
Abdullah Eyles wrote:
Before this thread get absorbed into the JCB SDS drill thread, I am
not that rich!!! can't afford two drills!!! (her indoors won't accept
that either!!!)

Masonry is not my primary target! mainly plastic (I make things out of
perspex/PVC) and wood...

IMHO if you want an accurate drill for this sort of thing you need to
stay clear of using it on masonry ever - it knackers the bearings more
quickly.

It's a fact of life that no general purpose tool will be as good as those
made specifically for the job.

--
*There's two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither one works *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn

Cutting floor tiles: Electric or Hand Operated cutter? Serial Bodger UK diy 12 August 17th 03 02:36 PM
o t ish changing gas and electric Jackie UK diy 4 August 10th 03 06:53 PM
how do I change electric drill chuck? Niel A. Farrow UK diy 16 August 10th 03 12:05 AM
SDS Drill Bit Life Rob UK diy 9 July 21st 03 07:47 PM
Another toolkit question Andrew McKay UK diy 32 July 15th 03 12:15 AM