Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

Default Hair clipper

Can anyone recommend a decent brand for DIY hair trimming? There seem to
be so many on the market from a few pounds upwards. Preferably one which
doesn't need the blades oiling.

--
*If a turtle doesn't have a shell, is he homeless or naked?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

Can anyone recommend a decent brand for DIY hair trimming? There seem to
be so many on the market from a few pounds upwards. Preferably one which
doesn't need the blades oiling.

I have very thick hair and tend to cause most clippers to burst into flames.
For me, I go for a model with

(a) ceramic blades that don't need lubrication and cut more efficiently
(b) genuine mains motor which has significantly greater torque than the LV
motors used in battery and mains-rechargable types.

Almost all ceramic bladed clippers are also mains rechargeable. This is
because it is hard to make the weedy mains rechargeables work without the
efficient blades, so the two features tend to go hand in hand.

However, there are a few models combining ceramic and true mains motors and
they are worth seeking out. I got my last pair from Argos (made by Babyliss)
after I reduced my Wahl set (mains/steel) to sounding like a bag of bolts in
a washing machine. However, I note they no longer stock it.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
S Viemeister

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Can anyone recommend a decent brand for DIY hair trimming? There seem to
be so many on the market from a few pounds upwards. Preferably one which
doesn't need the blades oiling.

We've been quite happy with Phillips/Norelco products.
The current one can be used either corded or cordless, and came with a
variety of attachments and accessories.
It does require regular brushing-out of residue, and very occasional
lubrication (lubricant supplied with trimmer, and seems to last forever).
It's extremely lightweight and easy to handle - even lighter when used
without the cord.

Sheila

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

Can anyone recommend a decent brand for DIY hair trimming? There seem to
be so many on the market from a few pounds upwards. Preferably one which
doesn't need the blades oiling.

Gave my head a quick skim with our Wahl trimmer last night. Seems OK.
Had to get the blades sharpened a few months ago - first time in five
years or so. Quick and cost a fiver or so.

Dunno about oiling though - I've always oiled this one 'cos it says to,
but the amount is tiny and it doesn't end up on your hair.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tony Williams

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Can anyone recommend a decent brand for DIY hair trimming? There
seem to be so many on the market from a few pounds upwards.
Preferably one which doesn't need the blades oiling.

We bought a Wahl Multicut in about 1982, still
going strong. Yes it does need oiling, but that
is just to prevent wear on the sole plate.

The (1982) addresses given on the data sheet are.

Wahl Clipper Corporation,
2900 Locust Street,
Sterling,
Illinois.

Wahl Europe
Herne Bay Trade Park,
Sea street,
Herne Bay,
Kent.

--
Tony Williams.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Firth

On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 13:27:05 +0100, Christian McArdle wrote:

However, there are a few models combining ceramic and true mains motors and
they are worth seeking out. I got my last pair from Argos (made by Babyliss)
after I reduced my Wahl set (mains/steel) to sounding like a bag of bolts in
a washing machine. However, I note they no longer stock it.

I have a pair of Babyliss mains rechargeable ceramic blade clippers and TBH
they are pants. They need lubrication, and the battery life is feeble.

I also have a pair of Remington clippers which are mains operated with a
ceramic cutter and this pair does not need lubrication. They are the best
clippers we've owned, solid metal body, very quiet in operation, and they
don't need oiling. They were also dirt cheap at EUR 15.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager

On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 11:58:08 UTC, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

Can anyone recommend a decent brand for DIY hair trimming? There seem to
be so many on the market from a few pounds upwards. Preferably one which
doesn't need the blades oiling.

Wahl seem pretty good...lots of satisfied users round here. Bought ours
at the Wahl factory shop which is 1km from here!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
VisionSet

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Can anyone recommend a decent brand for DIY hair trimming? There seem to
be so many on the market from a few pounds upwards. Preferably one which
doesn't need the blades oiling.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...ADME:B:EF:UK:1

And no I'm not joking!
Typically a stateside buy, sometimes germany.
Good import business opportunity?
What is the best hassle-free way to get one?

--
Mike W

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

I have a pair of Babyliss mains rechargeable ceramic blade clippers and
TBH
they are pants. They need lubrication, and the battery life is feeble.

Yes, my dad had a rechargeable ceramic type, although I can't recall the
brand. It was hopeless for me. It would shudder to a halt when used, usually
causing considerable pain.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Firth

On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 12:58:08 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Can anyone recommend a decent brand for DIY hair trimming? There seem to
be so many on the market from a few pounds upwards. Preferably one which
doesn't need the blades oiling.

Cheapest I've found were the Remington ones referred to in another post,
the HC820 for EUR 15, about £10 at the time and I think the same ones are
available in the UK for about £12. Comes in a set with various guards,
combs etc.

It's this model:
http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/produ...productid=1007

Best price I can find for them in the UK so far is £22.99, but it seems
Amazon used to have them listed for £12 (but now want £33).

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 12:58:08 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote
(in article ):

Can anyone recommend a decent brand for DIY hair trimming? There seem to
be so many on the market from a few pounds upwards. Preferably one which
doesn't need the blades oiling.

I've had several different ones over the years and found that the consumer
grade products like Philips, Remington etc. simply don't last or even work
that well.

So I looked at what is used in professional places and it is almost always
Wahl.

The Predator, which is what I purchased, has been in use for several years.
It performs impeccably.

The blades are precision ground and a wide range of replacement types and
accessories are available.

Difference in build quality is very obvious in comparison with the Victor
Kiam specials.

This one does need a trace of oil. However, it can be applied and wiped off
so is not an issue.

Cost is about £90 or perhaps a bit less.

In comparison with the cost of going to the hairdresser, hanging around,
having to listen to what they did on their holiday to Eyebyeza, it is
infinitely preferable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message .com
from "VisionSet" contains these words:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...ADME:B:EF:UK:1

And no I'm not joking!

I just gaffertape the vac hose to the trimmer.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
peterd

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Can anyone recommend a decent brand for DIY hair trimming? There seem to
be so many on the market from a few pounds upwards. Preferably one which
doesn't need the blades oiling.

--
*If a turtle doesn't have a shell, is he homeless or naked?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Go for a Wahl. Been using one regularly for me and my son for at least
three years and its far, far better than the crappy "Nicky Clarke" one
it replaced. Needs a couple of drops of oil every now and again but
that's no great hardship.

Peter

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

*If a turtle doesn't have a shell, is he homeless or naked?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Dead.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Frank Erskine

On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 13:34:52 +0100, Guy King
had this to say:

The message
from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

Can anyone recommend a decent brand for DIY hair trimming? There seem to
be so many on the market from a few pounds upwards. Preferably one which
doesn't need the blades oiling.

Gave my head a quick skim with our Wahl trimmer last night.

IRTA:- "strimmer"

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Dingley

wrote:

Can anyone recommend a decent brand for DIY hair trimming?

Wahl, mains not battery, and proper regular oiling makes the thing work
far better.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Paul

news
wrote:

Can anyone recommend a decent brand for DIY hair trimming?

Wahl, mains not battery, and proper regular oiling makes the thing work
far better.

whilst on the subject of hair trimming i am fed up of going to the barbers
and keep pondering over getting one of these clippers. i have only ever had
scissor cuts so am wondering can you get a decent cut with them, i don't
want to end up looking like a skin head.
Paul.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim S

Andy Hall wrote:

snip
I've had several different ones over the years and found that the consumer
grade products like Philips, Remington etc. simply don't last or even
work that well.

So I looked at what is used in professional places and it is almost always
Wahl.

snip

Agree. I've had my Wahl for over 10 years. It's been abused by hardly
(almost never) being oiled, giving my wiry beard a No1 regularly and it's
still works well. Gave meself a good old No4 all over 3 weeks ago as an
emergency measure just before re-felting the shed root in the boiling heat
(psycho) and it's still cuts good.

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim S

wrote:

Can anyone recommend a decent brand for DIY hair trimming?

Wahl, mains not battery, and proper regular oiling makes the thing work
far better.

whilst on the subject of hair trimming i am fed up of going to the barbers
and keep pondering over getting one of these clippers. i have only ever
had scissor cuts so am wondering can you get a decent cut with them, i
don't want to end up looking like a skin head.
Paul.

Yes. Almost. Better if your SWMBO or a mate has a steady hand and can help
out.

The one thing that's hard is to trim the neckline nicely - better someone
else does that. The only other disadvantage with DIY hairtrimming is that
it's hard to feather the sides and back nicely. Having said that, a DIY'd
No6 or No4 looks even and presentable, just lacks finish.

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
Can anyone recommend a decent brand for DIY hair trimming? There seem to
be so many on the market from a few pounds upwards. Preferably one which
doesn't need the blades oiling.

I use scissors.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mary Fisher wrote:
Can anyone recommend a decent brand for DIY hair trimming? There seem
to be so many on the market from a few pounds upwards. Preferably one
which doesn't need the blades oiling.

I use scissors.

You must have great skills if it produces a good crop. But difficult to do
to yourself?

--
*Laugh alone and the world thinks you're an idiot.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:
Can anyone recommend a decent brand for DIY hair trimming? There seem
to be so many on the market from a few pounds upwards. Preferably one
which doesn't need the blades oiling.

I use scissors.

You must have great skills if it produces a good crop. But difficult to do
to yourself?

Not paticularly. I wet my hair, stand in front of a mirror, pull a chunk of
hair at right angles to my scalp and cut it to a certain length (usually
about 1" so that I don't have to do it frequently). Then I pull up another
chunk and cut it to the same length and so on, all the way round.

Then I wash my hair and comb it.

Nobody's ever said that it frightened them, in fact I get quite a lot of
compliments.

Of course, I don't have to look at it :-)

Mary