Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Feeding Long wires through Conduit

I have a Mill in France that has a new Borehole, located circa 40
metres away, the Large size conduit (circa 5 inch) is already buried in
the ground, I am going to fit a Borehole pump 20 metres down the hole,
then run the wire through the conduit to the Mill.
But how do I get the wire to feed 40 metres down the conduit?, I have
read on the net that I could use curtain wire, but will this feed 40
metres without Kinking? I am reluctant to purchase a Quick cable set as
they come in 10 metre lengths and I would need to buy 4 of them for a
one off job.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Paul

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grumpy owd man

Get some suspended ceiling hanging wire. Run out a 45m length [it is now
like a giant slinky!!] fasten one end to a gate post or local peasant
and fasten the other end in the chuck of a 'DECENT' mains electric
drill. Pull the trigger until you get the wire straight [keep tension
on the wire]. This will straighten all the kinks and twists out of the
wire, but it may take a couple of mins to do so. Stop drill, allow
torque on wire to go and Voila!!40m of dead straight wire. Then shove it
through your orifice. Tie on new cable and a rope and pull your wire!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hire a drain rod set. You can get a little wheel contraption that
screws onto the head to help it through.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager

On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 11:28:28 UTC, " wrote:

Hire a drain rod set. You can get a little wheel contraption that
screws onto the head to help it through.

40 metres of drain rods????

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message . com
from "
contains these words:

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Ferret.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from Owain contains these words:

Tie a string to a ferret?

Compo-rays!

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from "The3rd Earl Of Derby" contains these words:

This is provided the water can drain out and dry out?
Option 2 : tie a plastic ball with some string push the ball down the
conduit as far as possible then make sure the string cannot get obstructed
and start hosing water into the conduit,preferably with a good water
pressure or pressure washer.

Flood it and send a goldfish down.

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a Mill in France that has a new Borehole, located circa 40
metres away, the Large size conduit (circa 5 inch) is already buried in
the ground, I am going to fit a Borehole pump 20 metres down the hole,
then run the wire through the conduit to the Mill.
But how do I get the wire to feed 40 metres down the conduit?, I have
read on the net that I could use curtain wire, but will this feed 40
metres without Kinking? I am reluctant to purchase a Quick cable set as
they come in 10 metre lengths and I would need to buy 4 of them for a
one off job.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Paul

As a cable jointer on BT I've seen the way our gang lads get cables into
ducts. If the duct is empty (in your case it is) they would tie a string to
the handles of a plastic carrier bag, put the bag in the duct and then use
an air compressor to blow the bag down the duct.

When it gets to the distant end, use the string to draw through a stronger
rope, and then use the rope to pull in the cables.

Steve.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian Brentnall

Hi

On 10 Jun 2006 07:27:33 -0700, "

I have a Mill in France that has a new Borehole, located circa 40
metres away, the Large size conduit (circa 5 inch) is already buried in
the ground, I am going to fit a Borehole pump 20 metres down the hole,
then run the wire through the conduit to the Mill.
But how do I get the wire to feed 40 metres down the conduit?, I have
read on the net that I could use curtain wire, but will this feed 40
metres without Kinking? I am reluctant to purchase a Quick cable set as
they come in 10 metre lengths and I would need to buy 4 of them for a
one off job.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Paul

I havent got a ferret!
I havent got a Goldfish!
I havent got a small dog!
I cant use a pressure washer cos I aint got water yet!!!!!!!!!
You would need a vacum cleaner with more vacum than whats in Tony B
liars head, to suck 40 metres!
Any sensible suggestions?

Depending on how deep the conduit is - don't suppose
some kind of radio-controlled car / tank / whatever could be used
to 'tow' a thin line (?string?) down the conduit - then use the thin
string to pull something useful down behind it....?

When you do eventually solve it - make sure to leave a cord down there
for the next poor person who is faced with the same problem.

You probably could do it with drain rods - used to have trouble with a
communal drain along the back of 10 semi-detached houses - and it was
'just' possible to rod from one end to the other - but it meant going
up & down the street scrounging drain rods - and the 'wheel thing' on
the end was a definite must...

It'll be no consolation - but the person who installed the conduit
should have left you a draw cord.....

HTH
Adrian
Suffolk UK
======return email munged=================
take out the papers and the trash to reply
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Firth

On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 15:28:05 +0100, Steve wrote:

If the duct is empty (in your case it is) they would tie a string to
the handles of a plastic carrier bag, put the bag in the duct and then use
an air compressor to blow the bag down the duct.

Back when my dad was in the Leccy business, they used a ferret to take a
string into places that the human arm could not reach.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

[...]

In all honesty, a ferret or similar is actually an extremely sensible
suggestion. I've done it myself once, years ago using a friend's pet
rat we were baby-sitting(?) while she was on holiday, which happened to
coincide with some re-wiring I happened to be doing at the time...
worked like a charm. If there's anyway you can find somone who has a
pet one to borrow, that's definitely the way to go.

Also see:
http://www.eschoolnews.com/news/show...m?ArticleID=95

Job would have been a hell of a lot easier to have done before you'd
buried it - eg using a magnet tied to some string inside the duct, with
another one outside - but I'm guessing you've already realised that!

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message .com
from "
contains these words:

You would need a vacum cleaner with more vacum than whats in Tony B
liars head, to suck 40 metres!

Not really. Provided the pipe doesn't leak then it'll spend a few
minutes lowering the pressure in the pipe, then if you've attached the
line to something like a polystyrene ball it'll not know how long the
pipe is.

Failing that, Lego or Meccano motors will run for long enough easily.
Shouldn't be too hard to knock up a runner.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
robgraham

Bob Eager wrote:
On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 11:28:28 UTC, " wrote:

Hire a drain rod set. You can get a little wheel contraption that
screws onto the head to help it through.

40 metres of drain rods????

Yes I thought of rods and fish wires initially and then did the 'not 40
metres worth' bit.

I think I would try the vacuum cleaner idea but the sie of the pipe
rather is against that - if it is straight I would try a pig made out
of a length of dowel - say 200-300 mm - with 50mm thick polstyrene
discs which have reasonable clearance from the wall holding in place
washers of membrane grade polythene which act like piston rings and
eliminate the air past the pig thus sucking it along with the fairly
small vacuum, but large air flow from the cleaner - obviously the
largest one you can lay your hands on.

The other option would be to wash the 'string' down with oodles of
water but as the water is beyond the bottom end of the pipe still, we a
have a 'there's a hole in my bucket .... ' scenario where that idea is
concerned !

This is an interesting and somewhat unusual challenge - tell us what
the solution is please when you find one !

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from Owain contains these words:

I used to have a skein of (I think ex-military) very thin but strong
twisted-twin flex with teflon insulation; 40m of something like that
would weigh next to nothing so the motorised buggy wouldn't even need to
be battery powered - the draw wire could double as power feed.

Monofilament fishing line would do fine for the first pull.

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message .com
from "robgraham" contains these words:

sucking it along with the fairly
small vacuum, but large air flow from the cleaner - obviously the
largest one you can lay your hands on.

I can just imagine making a manifold and getting all the locals round to
plug all their vacuum cleaners in together.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Neale

Then catch a mouse and block the starting end a bit so the mouse cant
escape. :-)

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

And all you'll then need is some chocolate sauce or peanut butter
(apparently better than cheese...)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
richard

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 11:28:28 UTC, "

wrote:

Hire a drain rod set. You can get a little wheel contraption that
screws onto the head to help it through.

40 metres of drain rods????

I don't know why so many raised eyebrows at drain rods, to do 40m is
only 40 rods, easily do-able, like another poster has said, borrow the
extra ones you need.
Rich

Posted to uk.d-i-y
gort

And all you'll then need is some chocolate sauce or peanut butter
(apparently better than cheese...)

I used to use KitKat with great success to catch them..

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stephen Dawson

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a Mill in France that has a new Borehole, located circa 40
metres away, the Large size conduit (circa 5 inch) is already buried in
the ground, I am going to fit a Borehole pump 20 metres down the hole,
then run the wire through the conduit to the Mill.
But how do I get the wire to feed 40 metres down the conduit?, I have
read on the net that I could use curtain wire, but will this feed 40
metres without Kinking? I am reluctant to purchase a Quick cable set as
they come in 10 metre lengths and I would need to buy 4 of them for a
one off job.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Paul

The way we used to do it was to use a compressor ( road breaker type ) to
blow air down the duct and feed 8mm polyprop rope in till it came out the
other, very easy and very quick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from gort contains these words:

I used to use KitKat with great success to catch them..

I had a cat called KitKat once!

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a Mill in France that has a new Borehole, located circa 40
metres away, the Large size conduit (circa 5 inch) is already buried in
the ground, I am going to fit a Borehole pump 20 metres down the hole,
then run the wire through the conduit to the Mill.
But how do I get the wire to feed 40 metres down the conduit?, I have
read on the net that I could use curtain wire, but will this feed 40
metres without Kinking? I am reluctant to purchase a Quick cable set as
they come in 10 metre lengths and I would need to buy 4 of them for a
one off job.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Paul

If the conduit is not installed, run the cables through as you install the
lengths of the conduit. Simple.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Doctor Drivel wrote:
Simple.

That you are.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Alexander

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
reenews.net...

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a Mill in France that has a new Borehole, located circa 40
metres away, the Large size conduit (circa 5 inch) is already buried in
the ground, I am going to fit a Borehole pump 20 metres down the hole,
then run the wire through the conduit to the Mill.
But how do I get the wire to feed 40 metres down the conduit?, I have
read on the net that I could use curtain wire, but will this feed 40
metres without Kinking? I am reluctant to purchase a Quick cable set as
they come in 10 metre lengths and I would need to buy 4 of them for a
one off job.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Paul

If the conduit is not installed, run the cables through as you install the
lengths of the conduit. Simple.

There is a clue in "the Large size conduit (circa 5 inch) is already buried
in
the ground,"

Jim A

Posted to uk.d-i-y
none

Conduit may be to big , but could try running a bit of string through a
tennis ball, tying it off, blast the ball thru with compressed air (distance
may be to far), then you at least have a draw line. Hope this helps. Seen it
done on ducts along bridge decks before.
"Jim Alexander" wrote in message

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
reenews.net...

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from Owain contains these words:

Send up a ferret, a good English ferret, raised on black pudding and beer.

Is that what makes 'em end up looking like this?
http://www.copyright-free-pictures.o...rs/ferit-2.jpg

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Owain" wrote in message
Doctor Drivel wrote:
If the conduit is not installed, run the cables through as you install
the lengths of the conduit. Simple.

Read and understand the words "the Large size conduit (circa 5 inch) is
already buried in the ground".

Anyway, running cables as you install conduit is contrary to the IEE regs.
Conduit has to be complete before any cables are installed. I know this is
for France, but that's no excuse for bad habits.

Nonsense! Then they are wrong. You can have a string attached to the
cable, screw on a length of conduit and pull through so the cable is still
inside the conduit end, then another length and then another pull, and so
on. easy. You will not harm the cable as you go and you can even smear
grease if you like. I have done it in the past. Worked brilliantly

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Doctor Drivel wrote: