NC

Default feeding wires from/to behind skirting

All,
I am planning on running speaker cables behind the skirting when I rip up
the carpet and lay laminate throughout our flat. However, I started thinking
last night about how to get it in and out from behing the skirting ! I dont
really want any big gaps between pieces, so what is the best way to do this
?? The cable will be going vertically up the wall from the point at which it
comes out from behind the skirting. Would it be possible / look OK to cut a
little square out of the top of the skirting for this ?? If I do, will the
integrity of the skirting be effected, and will it effect the fitting to the
wall ?

Also, along the same lines, if I run the cable behind the skirting it may
well fall and lie in the expansion gap between laminate and wall. What are
the chances that the laminate will expand the full 10mm and 'squash' the
cable ??

All advice / help much appreciated - as always !

Neil.

Christian McArdle

comes out from behind the skirting. Would it be possible / look OK to cut a
little square out of the top of the skirting for this ??

It is easier and neater to chase out a channel into the plaster.

Also, along the same lines, if I run the cable behind the skirting it may
well fall and lie in the expansion gap between laminate and wall. What are
the chances that the laminate will expand the full 10mm and 'squash' the
cable ??

It didn't when I did it!

Christian.

Brian

"NC" wrote in message

Hi Neil,

I am planning on running speaker cables behind the skirting when I rip up
the carpet and lay laminate throughout our flat. However, I started

thinking
last night about how to get it in and out from behing the skirting ! I

dont
really want any big gaps between pieces, so what is the best way to do

this

Are you taking the skirting off the wall first, lay the floor and then
replace the skirting?

If that is the case then the job is easy - lay the floor lay the cable on
top of the floor and then refit the skirting making any exit holes in it
before you do.

If you are leaving the skirting intact then you will have a problem as you
will have to try and feed the cable into any gap between the floor and
skirting or try and notch the skirting but it will be almost impossible to
bring the cable out from behind it.

?? The cable will be going vertically up the wall from the point at which

it
comes out from behind the skirting. Would it be possible / look OK to cut

little square out of the top of the skirting for this ?? If I do, will the
integrity of the skirting be effected, and will it effect the fitting to

the
wall ?

See comments above

Also, along the same lines, if I run the cable behind the skirting it may
well fall and lie in the expansion gap between laminate and wall. What are
the chances that the laminate will expand the full 10mm and 'squash' the
cable ??

See comments above

Hope this helps

Brian

NC

Are you taking the skirting off the wall first, lay the floor and then
replace the skirting?

Yes - although I will be ditching the current stuff and replacing with new.

If that is the case then the job is easy - lay the floor lay the cable on
top of the floor and then refit the skirting making any exit holes in it
before you do.

This is my question - do I just drill a hole in the skirting, or make little
'notches' in the top face / bottom section where it joins the floor ?? Is
skirting generally flush to the fall throughout its length / height, or can
you buy skirting that has grooves in it already on the rear face that can be
used for this purpose ??

If you are leaving the skirting intact then you will have a problem as you
will have to try and feed the cable into any gap between the floor and
skirting or try and notch the skirting but it will be almost impossible to
bring the cable out from behind it.

See above - no probs.

Hope this helps

Yep - getting there - just a quick question above ....

Christian McArdle

You mean all the way up the wall to where the speaker is to be mounted
and then plaster over the conduit, or just a little bit where the cable
is to reappear and then have the rest exposed ??

The former would be best. The latter better than chopping the skirting.

as it a leasehold flat and I dont want to start chopping up the walls

You can normally do this to a leasehold flat. Or did you mean you are
renting?

Christian.

Andy Hall

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 09:33:47 +0000 (UTC), "NC"
wrote:

This is my question - do I just drill a hole in the skirting, or make little
'notches' in the top face / bottom section where it joins the floor ?? Is
skirting generally flush to the fall throughout its length / height, or can
you buy skirting that has grooves in it already on the rear face that can be
used for this purpose ??

If you are leaving the skirting intact then you will have a problem as you
will have to try and feed the cable into any gap between the floor and
skirting or try and notch the skirting but it will be almost impossible to
bring the cable out from behind it.

See above - no probs.

Hope this helps

Yep - getting there - just a quick question above ....

This seems like a good reason to buy a router :-)

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Brian

Not snipped to make it easier to follow

NC wrote:
Are you taking the skirting off the wall first, lay the floor and
then replace the skirting?

Yes - although I will be ditching the current stuff and replacing
with new.

If that is the case then the job is easy - lay the floor lay the
cable on top of the floor and then refit the skirting making any
exit holes in it before you do.

This is my question - do I just drill a hole in the skirting, or make
little 'notches' in the top face / bottom section where it joins the
floor ?? Is skirting generally flush to the fall throughout its
length / height, or can you buy skirting that has grooves in it
already on the rear face that can be used for this purpose ??

There is no need to buy "special" skirting although you can buy it with a
bevel on the back to aid fitting in some conditions which will also help
here to make things a bit easier. Or if you wish, you could but the bevel
there yourself with just a hand plane.

It is very seldom that the render/plaster goes down to the floor (there is
usually something like a 12mm gap with something like a 12 -15mm thickness
of render & plaster) so you can fit your cable in into this gap and refit
the skirting with no problem. If there is no gap at this level, just chase
one out and it doesn't matter what it looks like as the skirting board wil
hide any mess.

This also generally applies to Paramount and stud partitions where the board
are kept up off the floor.

Now, to take the cable in and bring it out again, just cut small, vertical
grooves in the back of the skirting wherever you want them (if you are
burying the cable into the wall there is no need for this - just cut the
groove in the wall), or if you prefer - drill the holes.

Or you could even do this in the wall and let the cables enter and exit at
the top of the skirting filling in any excess gaps in the plaster with a bit
of polyfilla and then decorate as normal.

As you can see there are several ways to do this job and I would suggest
that you pick the way that "is right" for your situation and any mistakes
are easily sorted out with a touch of polyfilla. ;-)

If you are leaving the skirting intact then you will have a problem
as you will have to try and feed the cable into any gap between the
floor and skirting or try and notch the skirting but it will be
almost impossible to bring the cable out from behind it.

See above - no probs.

Hope this helps

Brian

NC

Yep - very much so. Thanks.
I'll know more once I take the old skirting off and see if there is gap
between the wall and floor.

Hope this helps

Brian

removing skirting 'neatly' ! NC UK diy 9 August 20th 03 01:44 PM
Replacing skirting board Phil UK diy 5 August 11th 03 05:59 PM
removing skirting boards Roger Mills UK diy 3 August 4th 03 04:42 PM
Moving Electric Sockets from skirting to wall Chris Oates UK diy 12 July 11th 03 11:33 PM