Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Indirect Pandora Heatbank and Man Micromat/Boiler compatability

We are currently looking at updating our central heating and DHW. The
existing system is old and looks like it has been cobbled together at
various points in the past - for this reason and to facilitate other
house work, we are planning on putting the new boiler and DHW tank in
the loft.

Following research on google we have decided that an indirect Pandora
heatbank best fits our DHW needs (mains pressure is sufficient and the
ongoing safer operation vs a traditional unvented cylinder appeals to
SWMBO).

Apologies if the following appears to ramble - I am not an expert and
profess only to have gained my knowledge from this exceelent group and
many of the learned regular posters...

Not fully DIY but for reasons of speed and time we will be employing a
plumber to do the installing (I am however doing the
design/specifying). As seems to be the norm he was very reluctant when
I first mentioned the Heatbank to him and he was steering me towards an
unvented cylinder ...after running through the spec with him
(downloaded from DPS) in words of 1 syllable he has now come round to
the idea - probably as he can see the pre-plumbing of various parts
makes his life easier...!

The Pandora I have initially specified is 180l / 100kw / inlcuding two
2 port valves (S plan) that would serve heating/DHW.

Now the main issue - choosing an appropriate boiler to cater for the
heatbank and also serve the heating (radiator) system. Following
various discussions with my plumber we have calculated our heating
requirements at around 26kw and to err on the side of caution we are
looking at boilers between 28-31kw.

Following a number of positive posts and reserach into the features
offered by the Man Micromat (outside weather compensation/analogue
temperature DHW sensing/fully modulating pump etc etc) I have looked
into the Man Micromat H or HS series. I like the idea of these
features and also the ability (AIUI) to have a different set
temperature for DHW and a separate temperature for the heating.

Following considerable discussion with Eco Hometec they have raised a
number of issues that are bascially steeering me away from choosing the
Man:

1) The Man DHW probe can only sense temperatures upto 65deg - the
heatbank is suited to be heated to 75/80deg therefore not really
suitable. The Pandora has its own sensor(s) however these do not
directly feed into the boiler. Maybe this isn't a problem?

2) Due to the wiring of the Pandora (?) only one fixed temperature
output from the boiler will be provided therefore the separate setting
of temperatures for DHW/heating is not possible?

3) Due to number 2) the fully modulating room sensor and outside
weather compensator would not be required?

I am slightly confused as all of the literature I have read suggested
the ability to run separate temperatures for heating/DHW and now it
seems as though this isn't possible and therefore all of the additional
features the boiler is capable of are also not relevant? Unfortunately
am not expert enough in all this to argue the toss greatly so was
hoping for some additional input from the group?

a) Does the Pandora negate the need to have a "complex" boiler like the
Man?

b) Would a Pandora without zone valves etc team up with Man and its own
diverter etc?

Perhaps I should just be looking at a simpler 28-31kw boiler to avoid
any unecessary complications?

Many thanks to all replies in advance
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Sat, 20 May 2006 10:44:58 +0100, wrote
(in article . com):

[...]

I have a Micromat and have been very pleased with it. I don't use it with a
heatbank because my mains flow rate is not adequate for my purposes. I
therefore went with a large (200l) fast recovery cylinder and kept the loft
tank. Considering possible water availability issues, I don't think that
this was a bad idea. However, had I had a decent flow rate, I might have
gone with a heatbank.

Let me make a few comments on the two parts of this:

It is desirable to run a heatbank at 80 degrees plus if you can for DHW
purposes, simply because you can store more energy and have a greater run
time before the store runs out. However, if the store is fairly large, as
you are suggesting, this may not be an issue. Keep in mind as well that
the boiler can be arranged to fire quite early on following a tap being
turned on and will start contributing heat back into the heatbank
immediately, thus lengthening run time.

I use the analogue temperature sensor for the DHW cylinder and it works
well.However, it is also possible to use a conventional thermostat if you
like.

Eco Hometec give quite good service, but in some areas, their knowledge of
the products is lacking. Their translation of the German manual is poor in
places and scant in others.

Let me answer a few of your points.

- The boiler temperature for DHW can be set to up to 70 degrees, not 65. I
just checked.

- You can have separate temperatures from the boiler for DHW and CH. I do
exactly this. It is a case of choosing the correct function number on the
boiler. I use number 38, which is not one that Eco Hometec was familiar
with. This uses the weather compensation sensor and the 2132 room
controller for the heating. It also allows the max flow temperature to be 85
degrees. There is a similar setting if it were preferred to use a
conventional room thermostat. As you have probably read, there is an
integral pump and on some models an internal diverter valve. I went for the
boiler without diverter valve because I wanted to have S-plan with a number
of valves.
In this case, the boiler has two mains outputs. Normally, only one is used
and is for operating an external diverter valve. This behaviour happens for
the low numbered function settings and the second output isn't used.

However, in the higher number modes, the second output is intended to drive
an external pump when in heating mode. The complete S-plan solution then
becomes easy. The first output is used to control a zone valve for the HW
cylinder or heatbank. The second for a zone valve for the heating.
Behaviour is then as follows:

- With heating turned on, the boiler runs based on the weather compensator
and room sensor/thermostat. It *can* run at up to 85 degrees flow, but
doesn't. I moved radiators around and replaced some such that I can get
enough heat to deal with the standard -3 degree outside temperature with the
boiler running at 70 degree flow and 50 degree return. In practice, it is
unusual for the flow to exceed 60 degrees except following startup on the
coldest days. Quite often, the flow is as low as 40 degrees and the boiler
sits running all day like that.

- As soon as there is DHW demand, the boiler cuts power to the second
output, closing the CH zone valve(s) and powers the first output, opening the
cylinder zone valve. It then fires up to full output and flow temperature
rising to 85 degrees output.

So to summarise:

- It's a good boiler and you could team it up quite easily with a heatbank or
fast recovery cylinder

- You could heat the heatbank to 70 degrees using the analogue sensor or more
if you went for a conventional cyllinder thermostat or better an electronic
on/off one with cylinder sensor. Danfoss Randall and others make these.
The advantage compared with a crude bimetallic strip type is that they have
better accuracy and tighter hysteresis. The analogue sensor does give the
boiler information about the actual temperature as opposed to a
demand/satisfied signal, but other than detecting the temperature fall when
a tap is turned on slightly earlier, I don't think that a lot is lost.

- There is a considerable advantage in having the outside temperature
detection and the fully modulated pump for CH purposes. You get much better
control and behaviour of the system in terms of temperature stability plus
the lower average running temperatures for the circuit and greater running
efficiency.

- I would go for the Micromat without diverter and drive the heatbank
directly with it. The boiler will drive the CH very well and control it
on its own. I would buy one again.

/andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy,

Many thanks for your thorough and speedy response. If I may just raise
a few issues/questions underneath snipped parts of your post:

It is desirable to run a heatbank at 80 degrees plus if you can for DHW
purposes, simply because you can store more energy and have a greater run
time before the store runs out. However, if the store is fairly large, as
you are suggesting, this may not be an issue. Keep in mind as well that
the boiler can be arranged to fire quite early on following a tap being
turned on and will start contributing heat back into the heatbank
immediately, thus lengthening run time.

As per normal usage ie cylinder stat or similar kicking in or via the
installation of a flow switch? Under normal usage conditions I agree
that heating to 70 degrees should be sufficient with a 180l store.

I use the analogue temperature sensor for the DHW cylinder and it works
well.However, it is also possible to use a conventional thermostat if you
like.

The Pandora can come with 1 or 2 immersed Danfoss stats that sound very
similar to the Man immersed stat - I had considered a straight
replacement for the Man one but given the benefit of reaching a higher
temperature it is probably better to opt for the Pandora's own. The
issue I have is how to decipher the wiring back into the boiler as
Eco's stressed that the boiler is primarliy designed for low voltage
connections ie the Man RE2132 unit/outside weather compensator and
cylinder probe all attach via the low voltage rail whereas the heatbank
cylinder probe(s) would be wired into the wiring centre on the heatbank
itself?

Let me answer a few of your points.

- The boiler temperature for DHW can be set to up to 70 degrees, not 65. I
just checked.

- You can have separate temperatures from the boiler for DHW and CH. I do
exactly this. It is a case of choosing the correct function number on the
boiler. I use number 38, which is not one that Eco Hometec was familiar
with. This uses the weather compensation sensor and the 2132 room
controller for the heating. It also allows the max flow temperature to be 85
degrees. There is a similar setting if it were preferred to use a
conventional room thermostat. As you have probably read, there is an
integral pump and on some models an internal diverter valve. I went for the
boiler without diverter valve because I wanted to have S-plan with a number
of valves.

So no additional diverter in your system or you use an external
diverter in addition to the zone valves?

[...]

Do you utlise a wiring centre in your setup or do you wire each of the
valves back to the boiler?

This is what I thought I was specifying on the Heatbank ie separate
zone valves for DHW and CH however the issue seemed to be that these
are pre wired into the wiring centre on the Heatbank and for
convenience you have one mains wire intended to go into the boiler (3
perm L N and E and a switched live) - AIUI the boiler is primarily
intended to function via low voltage connections therefore I would need
to install a relay of some kind but even then I couldn't really figure
if this is how the boiler is intended to pick up these signals or not?

I did speak to them about this and considered the HS model as it has 2
flows and 2 returns and I could separate one each for the heatbank and
heating and utilise the internal diverter to do the work however Eco's
suggested that this with contra building regs that required the usage
of additional zone valves - I didn't argue further as I haven't read
the necessary regs in that much detail but it sounded at odds with
logic if the boiler has separate flows and returns for each section and
it has it's own diverter then surely if it's wired up correctly then
there should only be calls on the boiler when required, why would I
need further valves?

[...]

Utlising the pre plumbed S plan setup? if so then this seemed to me to
be the best approach however what with the possible issues over wiring
and some of the information I have had back I have rethought my
original plan and ended up confusing myself even more I think!

/andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Andy Hall" aka Matt wrote in message
[...]

Matt, how does your boiler model know that DHW is calling if fitted with
either a stat or temp sensor?

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Sat, 20 May 2006 19:02:49 +0100, Doctor Drivel wrote
(in article ews.net):

"Andy Hall" aka Matt wrote in message

..

- As soon as there is DHW demand, the boiler
cuts power to the second output, closing the CH
zone valve(s) and powers the first output, opening the
cylinder zone valve. It then fires up to full output
and flow temperature rising to 85 degrees output.

Matt, how does your boiler model know that DHW is calling if fitted with
either a stat or temp sensor?

There is a setting on the controller in the boiler to select whether the DHW
demand sensing is by a contact closure (i.e. thermostat) or a temperature
sensor.

There is a similar one for CH control where the sensing is between thermostat
contact, a PWM signal from a Siemens or other controller or 0-10 or 0-3v
analogue control.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Sat, 20 May 2006 16:47:56 +0100, wrote
(in article .com):

Andy,

Many thanks for your thorough and speedy response. If I may just raise
a few issues/questions underneath snipped parts of your post:

It is desirable to run a heatbank at 80 degrees plus if you can for DHW
purposes, simply because you can store more energy and have a greater run
time before the store runs out. However, if the store is fairly large, as
you are suggesting, this may not be an issue. Keep in mind as well that
the boiler can be arranged to fire quite early on following a tap being
turned on and will start contributing heat back into the heatbank
immediately, thus lengthening run time.

As per normal usage ie cylinder stat or similar kicking in or via the
installation of a flow switch? Under normal usage conditions I agree
that heating to 70 degrees should be sufficient with a 180l store.

In my case, with the analogue sensor, it is installed in a pocket in the
cylinder. Basically this is a tube into the side of the cylinder with
stopped end. The probe is inserted into it and is thus is sensing the
temperature in the centre and not surface of the cylinder. It appears that
the behaviour of the boiler controller is to sense the rate of fall of
temperature of this as well as the absolute temperature. Normally there is a
hysteresis of about 5 degrees so that the boiler doesn't fire until 55
degrees is reached when the temperature is dropping slowly - i.e. small
amounts of water used. However, if a bath or shower is started, the boiler
begins to fire very quickly (less than a minute) and before the temperature
display has hit 55 degrees. I run the cylinder at 60, I should add.

You could use a flow switch, of course, but you would also need a thermostat
to make sure that the cylinder is brought back up to tempertature after the
flow stops.

I use the analogue temperature sensor for the DHW cylinder and it works
well.However, it is also possible to use a conventional thermostat if you
like.

The Pandora can come with 1 or 2 immersed Danfoss stats that sound very
similar to the Man immersed stat - I had considered a straight
replacement for the Man one but given the benefit of reaching a higher
temperature it is probably better to opt for the Pandora's own.

The principle is different. The MAN one is a temperature sensor. The boiler
is able to know the actual temperature and work with that - cylinder temp is
set on the boiler. With a thermostat, the boiler is only given a signal
to fire or not. If you are going to go for a thermostat, try to get one
that is electronic rather than bimetal strip or capillary. these tend to be
rather crude on setting and sensing.

The
issue I have is how to decipher the wiring back into the boiler as
Eco's stressed that the boiler is primarliy designed for low voltage
connections ie the Man RE2132 unit/outside weather compensator and
cylinder probe all attach via the low voltage rail whereas the heatbank
cylinder probe(s) would be wired into the wiring centre on the heatbank
itself?

If the thermostat has no-volt contacts - meaning a switch contact rather than
wanting to feed mains, then you can use low voltage wiring.

However, if you do, then it would be a good idea to keep this wiring
completely separate and not connect it in the wiring centre, but put in a
separate one.

[...]

No additional diverter. The boiler opens the relevant zone valve according
to whether CH or DHW is being done. DHW has preference.

[...]

I used two wiring centres (one mains and one low voltage) near the cylinder
because that is where the zone valves are located. Wiring from these runs
back to the boiler. Actually wiring is simple, because there only needs to
be mains on/off to open the valves. The sensors are individually run.

[...]

That's making it all unnecessarily complicated. You don't need zone valves
on the heatbank, nor do you need them in the boiler.

If the only way that you can buy the heatbank is with a switched live output,
then you would need an additional relay to provide volt free switching to the
boiler. I would ask DPS for a wiring diagram of what they supply. It
sounds as though it's a package intended to work with a simple boiler and to
have all the controls to make a drop in installation with such a boiler. I
think that you would be better off specifiying it without all the extra
gubbins that you don't really need.

[...]

I didn't do anything pre-plumbed. The wiring and plumbing were simpler
without.

if so then this seemed to me to
be the best approach however what with the possible issues over wiring
and some of the information I have had back I have rethought my
original plan and ended up confusing myself even more I think!

/andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks again Andy, the situation does seem a little clearer to me - it
is only that involving an external party (installer) in my installation
means additional complications especially as the boiler isn't an "off
the shelf" product it seems to be easier for him to say it can't be
done etc as opposed to looking into things in a bit more detail.
Perhaps I should be finding someone who is a little more flexible...

Apologies for continually rehashing my questioning but you seem to have
the practical input that neither DPS nor Eco's could feed back to me,
you don't do callouts do you !?

If I go for H series boiler and no additonal zone valves on the
heatbank I will still need some form of diverter (either from Eco's or
an off the shelf diverter?) presumably so the flow can be directed
appropriately? The wiring for this seems straighforward and goes
directly into the mains rail of the boiler?

I can specify a Heatbank without any additional zone valves ie the only
additional items on the cylinder are a circulating pump / flow switch /
backup immersion element (DHW controls) and thermostats (only item
affecting boiler behaviour). The suggested wiring diagram for this
setup appears relatively strightforward however it still outputs a
single swiched live to the boiler, however, I don't see that this is
any dfferent to standard cylinder installation and akin to the type 2
installation schematic on the MHS technical manual? The Eco manual is a
little lacking here and they describe the equivalent as the wiring for
the room stat however whether it's room stat or cylinder stat the
boiler should know that it is being called upon and fire up and then
the diverter should take care of diverting the flow appropriately?

AIUI the heating side would then just be a case of wiring in the low
voltage outside weather compensator and RE2132 onto the low voltage
rail?

Thanks again in advance
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

.

- As soon as there is DHW demand, the boiler
cuts power to the second output, closing the CH
zone valve(s) and powers the first output, opening the
cylinder zone valve. It then fires up to full output
and flow temperature rising to 85 degrees output.

Matt, how does your boiler model know
that DHW is calling if fitted with
either a stat or temp sensor?

There is a setting on the controller in
the boiler to select whether the DHW
demand sensing is by a contact closure
(i.e. thermostat) or a temperature
sensor.

When a stat detects DHW is calling the boiler just then runs up to what the
maximum temperature the boiler is set at? Demand sensing - this will be a
DHW setpoint (cylinder temp) set at the boiler. Below and the boioer runs up
the the max boioer temp set?

There is a similar one for CH control
where the sensing is between thermostat
contact, a PWM signal from a Siemens or
other controller or 0-10 or 0-3v analogue control.

External control which incorporates the burner modualtion rather than
on-off.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Sun, 21 May 2006 09:54:42 +0100, wrote
(in article . com):

[...]

You could either use a diverter valve arranged so that when energised, flow
goes to the cylinder, or you could use a zone valve for the cylinder from the
same output and then a second zone valve for the CH run from the second
output normally used for an auxilliary CH pump. I went for the latter
approach because I needed to run a second heating circuit for some additional
radiators and it was much more convenient to take that from nearer the boiler
than after the normal split in the flow some metres away. I simply wire both
CH zone valves to the second output

I can specify a Heatbank without any additional zone valves ie the only
additional items on the cylinder are a circulating pump / flow switch /
backup immersion element (DHW controls) and thermostats (only item
affecting boiler behaviour). The suggested wiring diagram for this
setup appears relatively strightforward however it still outputs a
single swiched live to the boiler, however, I don't see that this is
any dfferent to standard cylinder installation and akin to the type 2
installation schematic on the MHS technical manual? The Eco manual is a
little lacking here and they describe the equivalent as the wiring for
the room stat however whether it's room stat or cylinder stat the
boiler should know that it is being called upon and fire up and then
the diverter should take care of diverting the flow appropriately?

You could do that. All that would then be needed is an additional relay run
from this output from the cylinder wiring and then used to provide contacts
for the boiler.

The boiler will provide a live to open the DHW zone valve.

AIUI the heating side would then just be a case of wiring in the low
voltage outside weather compensator and RE2132 onto the low voltage
rail?

If you use the RE2132 then that goes directly to the boiler LV rail as you
say, along with the outside sensor connection

Thanks again in advance
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Sun, 21 May 2006 10:08:05 +0100, Doctor Drivel wrote
(in article ews.net):

"Andy Hall" aka Matt wrote in message
On Sat, 20 May 2006 19:02:49 +0100, Doctor Drivel wrote
(in article ews.net):

"Andy Hall" aka Matt wrote in message

.

- As soon as there is DHW demand, the boiler
cuts power to the second output, closing the CH
zone valve(s) and powers the first output, opening the
cylinder zone valve. It then fires up to full output
and flow temperature rising to 85 degrees output.

Matt, how does your boiler model know
that DHW is calling if fitted with
either a stat or temp sensor?

There is a setting on the controller in
the boiler to select whether the DHW
demand sensing is by a contact closure
(i.e. thermostat) or a temperature
sensor.

When a stat detects DHW is calling the boiler just then runs up to what the
maximum temperature the boiler is set at?

Exactly.

Demand sensing - this will be a
DHW setpoint (cylinder temp) set at the boiler. Below and the boioer runs up
the the max boioer temp set?

Yes again.

There is a similar one for CH control
where the sensing is between thermostat
contact, a PWM signal from a Siemens or
other controller or 0-10 or 0-3v analogue control.

External control which incorporates the burner modualtion rather than
on-off.

Yep. (You're getting good at this :-) )

The Siemens (was Landis & Gyr) RE2132 controller which is specifically
intended for this boiler, AFAIK, (possibly special firmware), has a setting
to adjust the relative balance between the external weather sensor and
internal sensing. Thus one can have different response behaviour according
to nature of house. It takes care of optimised start as well.

The other input methods are used in commercial applications when multiple
boilers are cascaded and a cascading controller is used to handle up to 9 of
the boilers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
[...]

the boiler. Below and the boiler runs up
the the max boiler temp set?

Yes again.

There is a similar one for CH control
where the sensing is between thermostat
contact, a PWM signal from a Siemens or
other controller or 0-10 or 0-3v analogue control.

External control which incorporates
the burner modualtion rather than
on-off.

Yep. (You're getting good at this :-) )

You should learn how to describe what it does. :-(

The Siemens (was Landis & Gyr)
RE2132 controller which is specifically
intended for this boiler, AFAIK, (possibly
special firmware), has a setting
to adjust the relative balance between the
external weather sensor and
internal sensing. Thus one can have
different response behaviour according
to nature of house. It takes care of
optimised start as well.

The other input methods are used in
commercial applications when multiple
boilers are cascaded and a cascading
controller is used to handle up to 9 of
the boilers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Sun, 21 May 2006 12:41:31 +0100, Doctor Drivel wrote
(in article ews.net):

[...]

I was trying to keep it simple so that you would understand.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
[...]

Matt, I know what it does. Others reading didn't have a clue, reading what
you wrote.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Sun, 21 May 2006 16:20:54 +0100, Doctor Drivel wrote
(in article ews.net):

External control which incorporates
the burner modualtion rather than
on-off.

Yep. (You're getting good at this :-) )

You should learn how to describe what it does. :-(

I was trying to keep it simple so that you would understand.

Matt, I know what it does.

Then why ask?

Others reading didn't have a clue, reading what
you wrote.

Sigh....

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"John Stumbles" wrote in message
news
Now the main issue - choosing an appropriate boiler to cater for the
heatbank and also serve the heating (radiator) system. Following
various discussions with my plumber we have calculated our heating
requirements at around 26kw and to err on the side of caution we are
looking at boilers between 28-31kw.

That's an awful lot of heat. How many rooms
does your mansion have, to the
nearest dozen? :-)

The MAN can go down to 3kW so not a problem for the CH, but will heat the
Pandora zippo with DHW priority.

Or he could use a Glow Worm condensing boiler, (modulates down to 5kW) and a
stand alone Danfoss BEM 5000 weather compensator (about £190), with has the
cyl' stat wired directly into it and gives full heat of DHW and weather
compensted on CH. The compensator may be giving a CH flow temp of 45C, but
when DHW is called the full 80C is given to the cylinder, modulating down
when near heated.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Stumbles wrote:
On Sat, 20 May 2006 02:44:58 -0700, wrote:

... we are planning on putting the new boiler and DHW tank in
the loft.

Following research on google we have decided that an indirect Pandora
heatbank best fits our DHW needs

The Pandora I have initially specified is 180l / 100kw / inlcuding two
2 port valves (S plan) that would serve heating/DHW.

That's going to be fun to get into your loft!
(and to site safely)

Now the main issue - choosing an appropriate boiler to cater for the
heatbank and also serve the heating (radiator) system. Following
various discussions with my plumber we have calculated our heating
requirements at around 26kw and to err on the side of caution we are
looking at boilers between 28-31kw.

That's an awful lot of heat. How many rooms does your mansion have, to the
nearest dozen? :-)

Have you checked with the whole-house calculations on

http://www.est.org.uk/housingbuildin.../boilersizing/

and

http://www.idhe.org.uk/calculator.html

(Note that the latter is wrong for mid-floor flats, at least.)

I'd expect to size a boiler at around 10-15kW for normal sized houses.
OTOH if you can afford a Pandora and a MAN then maybe you also have a
house with that sort of heating requirement :-)

Admittedly I have left most of the calculations to the plumber but the
house is probably slightly larger than average, detached and rather
draughty underfloor (1928 built). As DD has pointed out in choosing a
fully modulating boiler it should adjust where necessary...

I could opt for a more economic solution however having reserached the
market there seems to be much of a muchness amongst the cheaper to mid
range boilers and choosing between them seems to be very difficult
however, the Man and a couple of others come highly recommended and do
seem to stand a little above the rest in terms of functionality and
build quality. Horses for courses I guess as they do cost considerably
more as well.

As stated above I am employing an installer to do the actual fitting
and this in itself has it's own complications especially as he would
rather I go for a cheaper more mainstream boiler but I haven't yet
given up hope of converting him.

SWMBO, of course, doesn't understand why I am going to all the trouble
of speccing such a complex and expensive boiler I am still working
on her although as soon as I mention outside weather compensation she
sends out a huge sigh!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks Andy. I want to keep things as simple as possible especially
for the wiring side (for me and the plumber) so if possible I want to
avoid the use of additional relays etc so my latest considerations a

AIUI

HS boiler - 1 flow/return for DHW and 1 flow/return for heating.

Internal diverter to direct flow - this should be pre wired.

Heatbank fitted with 2 cylinder stats. I need to check with DPS on
wiring compatability but from the looks of it this can be wired back
onto the mains rail of the boiler itself?

Heating controlled by outside weather compensation and RE2132 room
unit?

Are the 2 stats on the cylinder and and heating controls sufficient to
be classed as the boiler interlocks?

From an inexperienced viewpoint this seems to cater for my needs but am

not sure if am missing something?

Any input greatly appreciated.
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have looked at the glow worm and it is considerably cheaper and out
of what is available seems to be a reasonable product. If I can't get
suitable answers from DPS and Eco Hometec regarding the Man and the
Pandora then I may yet go down this route.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

I have looked at the glow worm and it is considerably cheaper and out
of what is available seems to be a reasonable product. If I can't get
suitable answers from DPS and Eco Hometec regarding the Man and the
Pandora then I may yet go down this route.

Also, consider the Worcester Bosch Greenstar with additional diverter valve
(assuming they still make it in the new range). This allows separate
temperature settings for DHW and CH. Technically, the DHW is (or was in the
previous version) limited to 75C and the CH is limited to 85C, but we
couldn't see a reason why you couldn't swap the circuits, although a relay
might be required to get DHW priority instead of CH priority.

This way, the boiler can produce 82-85C for the Pandora and drop to 60C for
the CH, which is safer and more efficient.

I have the WB and the Pandora, but didn't specify the diverter, which I
probably regret now, as I have to run the rads too hot.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
I have looked at the glow worm and it is considerably cheaper and out
of what is available seems to be a reasonable product. If I can't get
suitable answers from DPS and Eco Hometec regarding the Man and the
Pandora then I may yet go down this route.

Also, consider the Worcester Bosch Greenstar with additional diverter
valve
(assuming they still make it in the new range). This allows separate
temperature settings for DHW and CH.

I tried to get info from W-B on this and I'm sure they said you can't have
two temps.

Technically, the DHW is (or was in the
previous version) limited to 75C and the CH is limited to 85C, but we
couldn't see a reason why you couldn't swap the circuits, although a relay
might be required to get DHW priority instead of CH priority.

This way, the boiler can produce 82-85C for the Pandora and drop to 60C
for
the CH, which is safer and more efficient.

I have the WB and the Pandora, but didn't specify the diverter, which I
probably regret now, as I have to run the rads too hot.

Buy a Danfoss BEM 5000, that will do they job for you. I saw one on ebay
that went for £22 brand new plus £5 postage. ~£200 worth of compensator for
buttons. Most don't understand them and can't see what they can get from
them, thinking a modulating boiler is the answer. Modulating on a setpoint
boiler temp is not the same load compensation compensation.

The Savastat does load compensation control of a boiler by switching in and
and out the burner. It is not that cheap and I would go for the Danfoss BEM
5000 as a weather compensator has feed forward control. Both have
anti-cycle control.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

wrote in message
oups.com...

John Stumbles wrote:
[...]

Just say it's far more reliable and very cheap to run. That's all they need
to know.

As regards the plumber, just lay down the specs and say deliver, what he
thinks is irrelevant. When it comes to finer points of heating most haven't
much of a clue, just slamming in cheapish boilers in unbalanced systems.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
Also, consider the Worcester Bosch Greenstar with additional diverter
valve
(assuming they still make it in the new range). This allows separate
temperature settings for DHW and CH.

I tried to get info from W-B on this and I'm sure they said you can't
have
two temps.

Ah. So the new range doesn't have this option? That's a real shame. I
would
have thought that more boiler manufacturers would be making such products
due to the recent shift in requirements. Central heating systems (both
rads
and underfloor) are now designed for much lower temperatures than
previously
both for operational and efficiency reasons. Hot water systems, now often
heatbanks or fitted with TMVs, are often designed for higher temperatures
improve capacity, performance and biological safety. Just the provision of
terminal allowing for 2 set temps would be enough.

Christian.

The W-B techies on he phone wasn't that clued up I may add, and appeared to
be speaking from crib sheet. So you might be right.

I fully agree. It is a simple thing to incorporate into a modern boiler.
Even Ravenheat have this facility.

But a Danfoss BEM 5000 waether compensator does offer this facility with a
stand alone third party product and will enhance efficient condensing
operation by lowering the flow temp to the conditions. And you only need a
cheapish boiler too. I always did it with a basic weather compensator using
a relay switching out the compensators burner signal

Most condensing boiler will be less efficient heating DHW rather than CH,
although ACV HeatMaster condenses when heating DHW, because of the way the
tank in tank thermal store is configured.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Andy Hall" aka Matt wrote in message
On Mon, 22 May 2006 13:50:31 +0100, Doctor Drivel wrote
(in article ews.net):

Buy a Danfoss BEM 5000, that will do
they job for you. I saw one on ebay
that went for £22 brand new plus £5 postage.
~£200 worth of compensator for
buttons. Most don't understand them and
can't see what they can get from
them, thinking a modulating boiler is the answer.
Modulating on a setpoint boiler temp is not
the same as load compensation.

This type of thing is a very poor option
in comparison with a proper weather
compensation on the boiler controller
whereby it knows what the temperature
is.

Matt, it knows what the temperature is as it senses the return temperature
of the heating.

It might be worth £22, but certainly not £200.

Matt, you must have brain damage.

Control of the boiler is on/off which is
the weak part of the whole thing.
While it is able to take outside temperature
into account and be reasonable
if one already has a simple switched boiler,
it has to resort to timed
anticycle to prevent reduction in efficiency
as a result of on/off firing.

The boiler will still modulate. If the flow and return temperature close up
the burner modulates. As the compensator knows roughly what the return temp
should be in relation to the outside temp and the return temp is stable
anyhow, cycling will be minimal. The boiler has anticycle control too.

The better option is undoubtedly an
integrated weather compensator coupled
with room temperature sensing and boiler
and pump output control.

But these cost a hell of a lot, and having one with DHW priority too
(running up the boioer temp to max) is not that common.

A good cheap boiler like the Glow Worm and Danfoss BEM 5000 is highly cost
effective way to go.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Andy Hall" aka Matt wrote in message

There is a similar one for CH control where the sensing is between
thermostat
contact, a PWM signal from a Siemens or other controller or 0-10 or 0-3v
analogue control.

A cheap controller sensing the room temperature with 0-10v ouput will
modulate the burner to suit the room temp.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Mon, 22 May 2006 13:50:31 +0100, Doctor Drivel wrote
(in article ews.net):

Buy a Danfoss BEM 5000, that will do they job for you. I saw one on ebay
that went for £22 brand new plus £5 postage. ~£200 worth of compensator for
buttons. Most don't understand them and can't see what they can get from
them, thinking a modulating boiler is the answer. Modulating on a setpoint
boiler temp is not the same load compensation compensation.

This type of thing is a very poor option in comparison with a proper weather
compensation on the boiler controller whereby it knows what the temperature
is. It might be worth £22, but certainly not £200.

Control of the boiler is on/off which is the weak part of the whole thing.
While it is able to take outside temperature into account and be reasonable
if one already has a simple switched boiler, it has to resort to timed
anticycle to prevent reduction in efficiency as a result of on/off firing.

The better option is undoubtedly an integrated weather compensator coupled
with room temperature sensing and boiler and pump output control.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Tue, 23 May 2006 00:27:58 +0100, Doctor Drivel wrote
(in article ews.net):

"Andy Hall" aka Matt wrote in message
On Mon, 22 May 2006 13:50:31 +0100, Doctor Drivel wrote
(in article ews.net):

Buy a Danfoss BEM 5000, that will do
they job for you. I saw one on ebay
that went for £22 brand new plus £5 postage.
£200 worth of compensator for
buttons. Most don't understand them and
can't see what they can get from
them, thinking a modulating boiler is the answer.
Modulating on a setpoint boiler temp is not
the same as load compensation.

This type of thing is a very poor option
in comparison with a proper weather
compensation on the boiler controller
whereby it knows what the temperature
is.

Matt, it knows what the temperature is as it senses the return temperature
of the heating.

In the context of this I am obviously referring to the outside temperature
and not the boiler return temperature.

It might be worth £22, but certainly not £200.

Matt, you must have brain damage.

I thought that that was more in your area of life.

Ever thought about why it was only being sold for £22? Doesn't work well for
example? Can't sell them?

Control of the boiler is on/off which is
the weak part of the whole thing.
While it is able to take outside temperature
into account and be reasonable
if one already has a simple switched boiler,
it has to resort to timed
anticycle to prevent reduction in efficiency
as a result of on/off firing.

The boiler will still modulate. If the flow and return temperature close up
the burner modulates.

It will do to an extent, but this can be based only on water temperatures on
the boiler because that is the only sensing of temperature available to it.

Other than that, all that it is getting is an on off signal. This will
mean that on each operating cycle it will begin by running hotter than needed
and will then modulate down.

If the boiler controller has outside and room temperature information by
direct measurement, then it only ever needs to cycle off when the room
temperature exceeds the set point. Other than that, it can run
continuously at (if need be) very low output.

As the compensator knows roughly what the return temp
should be in relation to the outside temp and the return temp is stable
anyhow, cycling will be minimal. The boiler has anticycle control too.

This can never be as good as a single controller having all of the sensing
inputs giving measured values as opposed to on/off control and doing complete
analogue control of burner and pump as well.

Viessmann do it this way as well.

http://www.viessmann.co.uk/articles/...-explained.php

The better option is undoubtedly an
integrated weather compensator coupled
with room temperature sensing and boiler
and pump output control.

But these cost a hell of a lot, and having one with DHW priority too
(running up the boioer temp to max) is not that common.

The question was about a specific make and model, and that one does have this
capability.

There are others such as the Viessmann with the same functionality.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks Andy, I slightly misunderstood the wiring side of things. DPS
confirmed that the cylinder stat used is a Danfoss ITC 100 and that it
does operate on a low voltage which can be fed into the low voltage
rail of the boiler (I also checked the specs on Danfoss' website).
Interestingly I considered opting for 2 stats to avoid unecessary
cycling but the techie chap at DPS suggested that on a priority system
you would be better off having the boiler fire up asap to bring the
store back up to temperature and therefore 1 stat would be better
suited?

As regards the RE2132 controller I wonder if you could give me your
view on it's necessity as re-reading your previous posts suggested that
the outside weather compensator and TRV's on the rads would do a
satisfactory controlling job of the heating side of things? SWMBO
likes the ability to override/amend temperatures so the boiler in the
loft doesn't lend itself well to frequent adjustments so some form of
remote controlling is desired, however, potentially the RE2132 is a
little over the top for my application and a more mainstream solution
(Honeywell CM67 is favoured by Eco Hometec) would be better suited?
Cost is a consideration but not a major factor in the overall cost of
the the whole system if the functionality of boiler is better suited to
the RE2132?

Thanks
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

Thanks Andy, I slightly misunderstood the wiring side of things. DPS
confirmed that the cylinder stat used is a Danfoss ITC 100 and that it
does operate on a low voltage which can be fed into the low voltage
rail of the boiler (I also checked the specs on Danfoss' website).

My similar Pandora has volt free contacts.

Interestingly I considered opting for 2 stats to avoid unecessary
cycling but the techie chap at DPS suggested that on a priority system
you would be better off having the boiler fire up asap to bring the
store back up to temperature and therefore 1 stat would be better
suited?

Personally, I would ignore their advice and install two thermostats to
provide better hysteresis. Mine cycles a bit too frequently.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

This was my thinking also, however, if you do go down the 2 stat route
they have suggested that the wiring would need rejigging to make sure
that the output will produce volt free contacts. This is something
they can do so shouldn't be a problem it was more his assertion that a
1 stat solution was the best option.

Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
[...]

Hot?

[...]

No one has said the on-off is superior at all. But a very near thing can be
obtained much.much cheaper

The better option is undoubtedly an
integrated weather compensator coupled
with room temperature sensing and boiler
and pump output control.

But these cost a hell of a lot, and having one with DHW priority too
(running up the boioer temp to max) is not that common.

The question was about a specific make and model, and that one does have
this
capability.

There are others such as the Viessmann with the same functionality.

The best for Robin is a "direct" DPS CX heat bank that integrates the DHW
and CH. The CH water section can be controlled by a Danfoss weather
compensator. Store the CH water at the right temp rather than store the
water hot and drop the temperature. Then the BEM 5000 controls the boiler
directly on CH. This "eliminates" boiler cycling as the mass of water stored
acts as an anti-cyle buffer. It also ensures maximum efficiency of
condesning boiler operation. A simple cheap Glow Worm HXi condensing boiler
can be used. A direct probe sensor for the BEM 500 may have to be bought as
an extra to sense the store CH water. Worth for the gains it gives.

The CH circuit is taken off the store and using a Grunfoss Alpha pump and
TRVs on all rads no problem at all. That is what I would do. It gives a
superior solution all around and more cost effective in installation.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Andy Hall" aka Matt wrote in message
On Tue, 23 May 2006 13:23:47 +0100, Doctor Drivel wrote
(in article ews.net):

"Andy Hall" akak Matt wrote in message
[...]

That could be another reason, although I can't see Arthur Daley finding a
ready market.

[...]

Without going into the exact detail, it is not possible to say whether it
is
near or not.

[...]

This is waffle

You clearly do not understand.

The CH circuit is taken off the store and using a Grunfoss Alpha pump and
TRVs on all rads no problem at all. That is what I would do. It gives a
superior solution all around and more cost effective in installation.

I am sure that Robin can make his own decisions on what he would like to
do
without it being organised for him

It's best a professional organises him rather than an amateur.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Tue, 23 May 2006 09:13:34 +0100, wrote
(in article .com):

Thanks Andy, I slightly misunderstood the wiring side of things. DPS
confirmed that the cylinder stat used is a Danfoss ITC 100 and that it
does operate on a low voltage which can be fed into the low voltage
rail of the boiler (I also checked the specs on Danfoss' website).
Interestingly I considered opting for 2 stats to avoid unecessary
cycling but the techie chap at DPS suggested that on a priority system
you would be better off having the boiler fire up asap to bring the
store back up to temperature and therefore 1 stat would be better
suited?

That sounds reasonable

As regards the RE2132 controller I wonder if you could give me your
view on it's necessity as re-reading your previous posts suggested that
the outside weather compensator and TRV's on the rads would do a
satisfactory controlling job of the heating side of things? SWMBO
likes the ability to override/amend temperatures so the boiler in the
loft doesn't lend itself well to frequent adjustments so some form of
remote controlling is desired, however, potentially the RE2132 is a
little over the top for my application and a more mainstream solution
(Honeywell CM67 is favoured by Eco Hometec) would be better suited?
Cost is a consideration but not a major factor in the overall cost of
the the whole system if the functionality of boiler is better suited to
the RE2132?

Again the difference is that a CM67 is an on/offf controller whereas the
RE2132 gives actual temperature information to the boiler.

You can do all of the temperature adjustments on the RE2132 and don't need to
touch the oiler once its basic settings are done

Thanks
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Wed, 24 May 2006 00:24:20 +0100, Doctor Drivel wrote
(in article ews.net):

The best for Robin is a "direct" DPS CX heat bank that integrates the DHW
and CH. The CH water section can be controlled by a Danfoss weather
compensator. Store the CH water at the right temp rather than store the
water hot and drop the temperature. Then the BEM 5000 controls the
boiler
directly on CH. This "eliminates" boiler cycling as the mass of water
stored
acts as an anti-cyle buffer. It also ensures maximum efficiency of
condesning boiler operation. A simple cheap Glow Worm HXi condensing
boiler
can be used. A direct probe sensor for the BEM 500 may have to be bought
as
an extra to sense the store CH water. Worth for the gains it gives.

This is waffle

You clearly do not understand.

I know waffle when I read it.

The CH circuit is taken off the store and using a Grunfoss Alpha pump and
TRVs on all rads no problem at all. That is what I would do. It gives a
superior solution all around and more cost effective in installation.

I am sure that Robin can make his own decisions on what he would like to
do
without it being organised for him

It's best a professional organises him rather than an amateur.

He didn't say anything about going into your branch of Plumbcenter.

Which one was it? Perhaps you could organise a nice discount and sell him a
Magnawotsit as well...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
[...]

Matt, you don't. You just don't understand.

The CH circuit is taken off the store and using a Grunfoss Alpha pump
and
TRVs on all rads no problem at all. That is what I would do. It gives a
superior solution all around and more cost effective in installation.

I am sure that Robin can make his own decisions on what he would like to
do
without it being organised for him

It's best a professional organises him rather than an amateur.

He didn't say anything about going
into your branch of Plumbcenter.

Matt, I don't shop at such a establishment.

Which one was it? Perhaps you could organise a nice discount and sell
him a
Magnawotsit as well...

Matt, I don't discounts for my services, as I am good and not cheap. I am
also a big tipper to.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Aidan

Doctor Drivel wrote:

Matt, I don't discounts for my services, as I am good and not cheap. I am
also a big tipper to.

Fly tipper?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Aidan" wrote in message
oups.com...

Doctor Drivel wrote:

Matt, I don't do discounts for my services, as I am good and not cheap. I
am
also a big tipper to.

Fly tipper?

If a fly offers good service, he gets a good tip.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Wed, 24 May 2006 19:46:57 +0100, Doctor Drivel wrote
(in article ews.net):

It's best a professional organises him rather than an amateur.

He didn't say anything about going
into your branch of Plumbcenter.

Matt, I don't shop at such a establishment.

Don't they give staff discount?

I should hope so.

Which one was it? Perhaps you could organise a nice discount and sell
him a
Magnawotsit as well...

Matt, I don't discounts for my services, as I am good and not cheap. I am
also a big tipper to.

You mean that you're a bin man as well? I don't know how you manage it
all....

Matt, people tip the bin man. You have to know this sort of thing for
Christmas.