Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Mawson

Default Covering rubble

I may have to cover perhaps a 1/3 acre of builders rubble that a
previous owner has used to infill a small valley (amazingly with
planning permission it being greenbelt) with soil to return it to a
semblance of normality. It will probably only be grassed over and
possibly used as paddock

People are telling me that bricks will 'float' up from below through
the soil - has anyone any experience of this phenomenon, and what is a
reasonable depth of top soil to aim for?

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Halmarack

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 14:31:43 +0100, "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:

I may have to cover perhaps a 1/3 acre of builders rubble that a
previous owner has used to infill a small valley (amazingly with
planning permission it being greenbelt) with soil to return it to a
semblance of normality. It will probably only be grassed over and
possibly used as paddock

People are telling me that bricks will 'float' up from below through
the soil - has anyone any experience of this phenomenon, and what is a
reasonable depth of top soil to aim for?

AWEM

I've had rubble 1.3M deep, consisting mainly of full bricks, covered
with 4 inches of soil and grassed for 4 years. None of the bricks have
shown any signs of floating or moving in any way. What sort of time
scale have you got in mind for this upsurge?
--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Drop the (EGG) to email me.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Broadback

Andrew Mawson wrote:
I may have to cover perhaps a 1/3 acre of builders rubble that a
previous owner has used to infill a small valley (amazingly with
planning permission it being greenbelt) with soil to return it to a
semblance of normality. It will probably only be grassed over and
possibly used as paddock

People are telling me that bricks will 'float' up from below through
the soil - has anyone any experience of this phenomenon, and what is a
reasonable depth of top soil to aim for?

AWEM

If you work the land all stone brick etc would seem to work their way
up. If however you simply put topsoil on then seed it I don't see why
it should.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Mike Halmarack wrote:
I've had rubble 1.3M deep, consisting mainly of full bricks, covered
with 4 inches of soil and grassed for 4 years. None of the bricks have
shown any signs of floating or moving in any way. What sort of time
scale have you got in mind for this upsurge?

I'd expect the topsoil to infill the cavities in the rubble,
time dependant on the type of soil, and if it's only 4" to
eventually disappear completely in a downward direction.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Halmarack

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 17:20:34 +0100, Chris Bacon
wrote:

Mike Halmarack wrote:
I've had rubble 1.3M deep, consisting mainly of full bricks, covered
with 4 inches of soil and grassed for 4 years. None of the bricks have
shown any signs of floating or moving in any way. What sort of time
scale have you got in mind for this upsurge?

I'd expect the topsoil to infill the cavities in the rubble,
time dependant on the type of soil, and if it's only 4" to
eventually disappear completely in a downward direction.

Not unlike myself, if I get my traditionalist leanings pandered to.
Sorry for not mentioning the gravel.
--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Drop the (EGG) to email me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Halmarack

wrote:

Mike Halmarack wrote:
I've had rubble 1.3M deep, consisting mainly of full bricks, covered
with 4 inches of soil and grassed for 4 years. None of the bricks have
shown any signs of floating or moving in any way. What sort of time
scale have you got in mind for this upsurge?

I'd expect the topsoil to infill the cavities in the rubble,
time dependant on the type of soil, and if it's only 4" to
eventually disappear completely in a downward direction.

Not unlike myself, if I get my traditionalist leanings pandered to.
Sorry for not mentioning the gravel.

When I said "Not unlike myself", I wasn't referring to the "only 4""
bit, by the way.
--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Drop the (EGG) to email me.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Mawson

wrote:

[...]

As far as I can tell without excavating it is up to 3 metres deep in
places. It's my doom and gloom brother in law who is predicting the
floating bricks, though in fairness he has been working in some sort
of major works capacity for a local council for years so perhaps
speaks from experience. Mind you his solution was to cover it in 'no
fines' concrete ie cement and 20mm agregate without sand - then cover
in soil. I don't fancy 1/3rd acre of concreting personally G

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Broadback wrote:
Andrew Mawson wrote:
I may have to cover perhaps a 1/3 acre of builders rubble that a
previous owner has used to infill a small valley (amazingly with
planning permission it being greenbelt) with soil to return it to a
semblance of normality. It will probably only be grassed over and
possibly used as paddock

People are telling me that bricks will 'float' up from below through
the soil - has anyone any experience of this phenomenon, and what is
a reasonable depth of top soil to aim for?

AWEM

If you work the land all stone brick etc would seem to work their way
up. If however you simply put topsoil on then seed it I don't see why
it should.

Whatever is in the ground stays in the, unless dug up.

Grass will grow over a demolished brick area in time and completely cover
it in 20 years...summat to do with the wind carrying seedlings or grass
particals. ;-)

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Halmarack

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 17:40:33 +0100, "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Are you there for the long term? You'll be one of the few these days
if you are. I know people talk about posterity and all that kind of
stuff but as it looks like I'm leaving a poisonous blood soaked cinder
to my progeny anyway, I really wouldn't want to draw too much
attention to the superficial details. ;-)
--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Drop the (EGG) to email me.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Andrew Mawson wrote:
I may have to cover perhaps a 1/3 acre of builders rubble that a
previous owner has used to infill a small valley (amazingly with
planning permission it being greenbelt) with soil to return it to a
semblance of normality. It will probably only be grassed over and
possibly used as paddock

People are telling me that bricks will 'float' up from below through
the soil - has anyone any experience of this phenomenon, and what is a
reasonable depth of top soil to aim for?

AWEM

They don't. I buried most of the foundations from my old house down the
bottom of the garden. I put about 3" of topsoil over. Its fine.

If its a bit rough, it may be cheaper to lay some limestone and sand
first...and ease up on the soil. Ive got limestone covered in no soil at
all out the front where the cars keep pulling onto the verge..its
greening up anyway.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Chris Bacon wrote:
Mike Halmarack wrote:
I've had rubble 1.3M deep, consisting mainly of full bricks, covered
with 4 inches of soil and grassed for 4 years. None of the bricks have
shown any signs of floating or moving in any way. What sort of time
scale have you got in mind for this upsurge?

I'd expect the topsoil to infill the cavities in the rubble,
time dependant on the type of soil, and if it's only 4" to
eventually disappear completely in a downward direction.

Funnily enough this doesn't seem to happen - not at any great rate anyway.

A layer of sand first helps too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb

In message , Andrew Mawson
writes
I may have to cover perhaps a 1/3 acre of builders rubble that a
previous owner has used to infill a small valley (amazingly with
planning permission it being greenbelt) with soil to return it to a
semblance of normality. It will probably only be grassed over and
possibly used as paddock

People are telling me that bricks will 'float' up from below through
the soil - has anyone any experience of this phenomenon, and what is a
reasonable depth of top soil to aim for?

The proper solution would be to lay a membrane before spreading the
soil. Allows the water through but retains the soil.

I don't have a URL but they are commonly used for horse *menage* areas.
We tend to find them used the other way i.e. to prevent hard surfacing
disappearing into the soil.

I guess 1/3 acre worth would be costly:-(

Google on terram.

Grass will grow on a concrete yard in a few mm of soil but will be very
drought prone. Assuming you are going to seed the end result, why not
speak to a seed merchant and explain your problem. He may be able to
recommend drought resistant varieties.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Harry Bloomfield

Andrew Mawson presented the following explanation :

People are telling me that bricks will 'float' up from below through
the soil - has anyone any experience of this phenomenon, and what is a
reasonable depth of top soil to aim for?

No particular experience of this, however....

Rather than the bricks flaoting up, the soil will fall through between
the bricks to fill in the voids between. Only once those voids are
full, will the soil stay on top. Might be better to grade the infill
with course rubble layers, working down to the finer material, then
finally soil.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Chris Bacon wrote:
Mike Halmarack wrote:
I've had rubble 1.3M deep, consisting mainly of full bricks, covered
with 4 inches of soil and grassed for 4 years. None of the bricks have
shown any signs of floating or moving in any way. What sort of time
scale have you got in mind for this upsurge?

I'd expect the topsoil to infill the cavities in the rubble,
time dependant on the type of soil, and if it's only 4" to
eventually disappear completely in a downward direction.

Funnily enough this doesn't seem to happen - not at any great rate anyway.

A layer of sand first helps too.

Good interstitial filler. Ask Cormaic.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Tim Lamb wrote:
Andrew Mawson writes
I may have to cover perhaps a 1/3 acre of builders rubble that a
previous owner has used to infill a small valley (amazingly with
planning permission it being greenbelt) with soil to return it to a
semblance of normality.

The proper solution would be to lay a membrane before spreading the
soil. Allows the water through but retains the soil.

He could "blind" it... I don't fancy wackering 1/3 acre, though...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb

In message , Chris Bacon
writes
Tim Lamb wrote:
Andrew Mawson writes
I may have to cover perhaps a 1/3 acre of builders rubble that a
previous owner has used to infill a small valley (amazingly with
planning permission it being greenbelt) with soil to return it to a
semblance of normality.

The proper solution would be to lay a membrane before spreading the
soil. Allows the water through but retains the soil.

He could "blind" it... I don't fancy wackering 1/3 acre, though...

No:-)

It could probably be rolled (highway construction type) for less the
cost of laying membrane though.

I think a bigger problem will be finding/affording soil to put on top.
The cheap solution of further tipping may not be available. Site
licence, insurance, access, neighbour complaints, requirements of waste
authority, etc.

Subsoils from development may be ideal but getting consents a major
obstacle. A chat with local waste management officers might be
informative.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Chris Bacon wrote:
Tim Lamb wrote:
Andrew Mawson writes
I may have to cover perhaps a 1/3 acre of builders rubble that a
previous owner has used to infill a small valley (amazingly with
planning permission it being greenbelt) with soil to return it to a
semblance of normality.

The proper solution would be to lay a membrane before spreading the
soil. Allows the water through but retains the soil.

He could "blind" it... I don't fancy wackering 1/3 acre, though...

Its not bad with a whacker..

Or if Gordon Brown hasn't forced to to scrap it, drive a 4x4 over it for
an hour or three.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Mawson

Chris Bacon wrote:
Tim Lamb wrote:
Andrew Mawson writes
I may have to cover perhaps a 1/3 acre of builders rubble that a
previous owner has used to infill a small valley (amazingly with
planning permission it being greenbelt) with soil to return it

to a
semblance of normality.

The proper solution would be to lay a membrane before spreading

the
soil. Allows the water through but retains the soil.

He could "blind" it... I don't fancy wackering 1/3 acre, though...

Its not bad with a whacker..

Or if Gordon Brown hasn't forced to to scrap it, drive a 4x4 over it

for
an hour or three.

Blind it with clay and puddle the clay with a flock of sheep was one
suggestion! Fortunately the backfilling is all legal and above board,
with the local planners happy for me to re-landscape with topsoil to
loose an eyesore in a Greenbelt 'area of outstanding beauty'. I'm
hoping to steal topsoil from the rest of the 7.5 acres having first
done a few test pits to check depth. All a good excuse to buy a JCB !

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from "Andrew Mawson" contains
these words:

All a good excuse to buy a JCB !

Oh, well, if you're going to buy a JCB to do it you can run that back
and forth for an afternoon to compact what's there.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Guy King wrote:
The message
from "Andrew Mawson" contains
these words:

All a good excuse to buy a JCB !

Oh, well, if you're going to buy a JCB to do it you can run that back
and forth for an afternoon to compact what's there.

Yup. Does a far better job than a whacker...especially on limestone.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb

In message , Andrew Mawson
writes

Blind it with clay and puddle the clay with a flock of sheep was one
suggestion!

Well drained ground. Should suit outdoor pigs:-)

Fortunately the backfilling is all legal and above board,
with the local planners happy for me to re-landscape with topsoil to
loose an eyesore in a Greenbelt 'area of outstanding beauty'.

Will they let you import soils though.

I'm
hoping to steal topsoil from the rest of the 7.5 acres having first
done a few test pits to check depth. All a good excuse to buy a JCB !

There will be a greater depth of soil at the bottom of the slope,
particularly if it has ever had an arable use.

As the owner of an ancient JCB I still hire in a skilled contractor for
tricky work.

regards
--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Its not bad with a whacker..

It's a "wacker", actually. A vibrating plate compactor. Best for
thin layers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Andrew Mawson presented the following explanation :

People are telling me that bricks will 'float' up from below through
the soil - has anyone any experience of this phenomenon, and what is a
reasonable depth of top soil to aim for?

No particular experience of this, however....

Rather than the bricks flaoting up, the soil will fall through between
the bricks to fill in the voids between. Only once those voids are
full, will the soil stay on top. Might be better to grade the infill
with course rubble layers, working down to the finer material, then
finally soil.

Yes. I would only worry about brick floating if its prone to flooding.

I'd also include as much organic junk as poss with your soil to get
worms/plants/etc started. I had a barren area of land, just added
plenty of hedge clippings, weeds, paper and food waste, and it was soon
teeming with worms and richly fertile. The new plants did well.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Chris Bacon wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Its not bad with a whacker..

It's a "wacker", actually. A vibrating plate compactor. Best for
thin layers.

I know WHAT it is...Just forgot the brand name was spelt differently
from the 'action'
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from Chris Bacon contains these words:

It's a "wacker", actually. A vibrating plate compactor. Best for
thin layers.

Mine isn't. Mine's a generic Chinese machine, so uses the generic name
whacker.

--
Skipweasel