Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

KS

Default Ideas for covering wallpaper

Hi All,

The previous owners of our house built it and lived in it for 50 years.
They were very fond of wallpaper and the Mr. was apparently quite good
at it. In at least 2 rooms we have found 4+ layers of wallpaper. In one
case we paneled over it and that worked fine. I want to try something
different in another room. The wallpaper is dark blue and seems to be
well-adhered. From experience in this house, I know that the walls would
be damaged if we tried to remove the wall paper; in fact, it looks like
the walls already have some damage under the wallpaper.

I'm looking for any kind of creative suggestions for covering this
wallpaper. I don't want to paper over it again as I *loathe*
wallpapering in the traditional manner. However, I was thinking of
buying some rolls of the "odd lots" at the dollar store, tearing them
into chunks, and papering the walls in a kind of random "crazy quilt"
pattern. I saw a show once where somebody did that with brown paper
bags/kraft paper. Would this take forever? Would it stick?

It's not vinyl wallpaper, if that matters.

Any other suggestions for covering the wallpaper that doesn't involve
4x8 sheets of anything? ;-)

Thanks,
Karen
Mike

I would remove it. Either rent a steamer and start removing it it or
hire someone to remove it. Any damage to the drywall is easily fixed
with some joint compound, sanding, priming and painting. I've seen
people prime over wallpaper then paint it and it's ok for a rental
house. Maybe your textured idea will work, no experience in that. I
took off a double layer on plaster walls but it came out fine. Just
took forever to remove it.

KS wrote in message ...
[...]

Jennifer

KS wrote in message ...

Any other suggestions for covering the wallpaper that doesn't involve
4x8 sheets of anything? ;-)

You might consider using fabric. Upholstered, hung straight, or
glued, fabric walls can add richness and texture to a room for
relatively little money (depending on the fabric).

Google "fabric walls".

--
Jennifer
Al Bundy

KS wrote in message ...
[...]

They make a product that all the paper stores sell for the purpose.
It's very heavy material and applies like walpaper. When it's done you
can paint the room normally. You are headed for a mess with the idea
of dotting the wall with odd lot pieces and the wall cannot be painted
on as it is.