Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.solar.thermal,uk.d-i-y
daestrom

Default Solar water heating system value

"Brian Sharrock" wrote in message

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message
from David Hansen contains these
words:

Some/many houses are badly designed. In these it probably makes
sense to heat the water electrically, especially if there is a
shortage of water.

This is the answer I got this morning from Candy UK when I asked why
they don't sell hot/cold fill machines.

Good morning due to the cold water in take the water level intake have
been
reduced washing machines only start to heat water at around 60degrees
and
above so hot water intake is not needed hence why it it more energy
efficient

Make of that what you will.

As most DHW is 45-55C this is tripe. What they are hiding is that they
want to put less in the thing.

Most DHW has cooled down to ambient temperature in the 'dead leg' from the
store to the washing machine inlet valve. What is the _measured_
temperature of the inlet water at time A - start of fill; B - end of fill?

Considering 50' of 1/2" nominal piping contains less than a gallon of water,
and US machines use many gallons, the cold, stagnant water has little
overall affect on the filled temperature.

daestrom

Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.solar.thermal,uk.d-i-y
daestrom

wrote in message
oups.com...
David Hansen wrote:
On 12 Mar 2006 23:26:24 GMT someone who may be "Bob Eager"
wrote this:-

What is your solution to the (then) requirement for a zero length pipe
between the hot water cylinder and the machine?

In a sensibly designed house the taps used most often will be near
the source of hot water and the hot water pipes insulated. The
washing machine will be too. As a result hot water will arrive at
the machine almost instantly.

Do you not think that other considerations should be considered far
more important than this in sensible design?

I certainly would. For example, a two story house with basement. The hot
water heater is in the basement (NG). Should we 1) carry laundry up/down
two flights of stairs everyday to reach the washing machine from the main
bath and bedrooms, or 2) install the laundry upstairs in a hall closet area
between bedrooms and bath.

In (1), we have less than ten feet of piping from heater to machine, but
constant 'stockpiling' of laundry waiting to be carried up/down. In (2) we
have ~30' of pipe and much more convenience. And since the machine is only
rarely set to use 'hot' versus 'warm' or 'cold', the savings of 20' of
piping is quite miniscule compared to the labor of hauling laundry up/down
two flights of stairs.

Some may consider putting the machine in the basement 'sensible', but they
*obviously* aren't the ones that do laundry in their home ;-)

daestrom

NT

Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.solar.thermal,uk.d-i-y
David Hansen

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 22:18:00 GMT someone who may be "daestrom"
wrote this:-

For example, a two story house with basement. The hot
water heater is in the basement (NG).

Why?

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.solar.thermal,uk.d-i-y
Cosmopolite

wrote this:-

For example, a two story house with basement. The hot
water heater is in the basement (NG).

Why?

That is where the furnace is.
Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.solar.thermal,uk.d-i-y
Solar Flare

You would have to live in a 500 sq ft house to have less than 50' of
copper plumbing.

Point made though.

"daestrom" wrote in message
Considering 50' of 1/2" nominal piping contains less than a gallon

of water,
and US machines use many gallons, the cold, stagnant water has

little
overall affect on the filled temperature.

daestrom

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.energy.homepower,alt.solar.thermal
Solar Flare

Not in the Americas

"Guy King" wrote in message
It's getting increasingly hard to find a hot/cold fill washing

machine.
They all appear to be cold fill only these days.

--
Skipweasel
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.solar.thermal,uk.d-i-y
David Hansen

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 00:04:18 GMT someone who may be Cosmopolite
wrote this:-

For example, a two story house with basement. The hot
water heater is in the basement (NG).

Why?

That is where the furnace is.

Does it have to be there?

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.solar.thermal,uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Guy King" wrote in message
[...]

Some people have secondary circulation pumps and dead legs that are not 100
foot long. In fact a secondary circulation pump can pay for itself in water
saved and less electricity used in hot and cold fill domestic appliances.
And voila, always instant hot water at the taps. No price can be put on
that.

Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.solar.thermal,uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Guy King" wrote in message
[...]

European machines are far more energy and water efficient. They don't have a
large bath of water in them. Water content in the most highly efficient is
very low these days.

Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.solar.thermal,uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"daestrom" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
wrote this:-

What is your solution to the (then) requirement for a zero length pipe
between the hot water cylinder and the machine?

In a sensibly designed house the taps used most often will be near
the source of hot water and the hot water pipes insulated. The
washing machine will be too. As a result hot water will arrive at
the machine almost instantly.

Do you not think that other considerations should be considered far
more important than this in sensible design?

I certainly would. For example, a two story house with basement. The hot
water heater is in the basement (NG). Should we 1) carry laundry up/down
two flights of stairs everyday to reach the washing machine from the main
bath and bedrooms, or 2) install the laundry upstairs in a hall closet
area between bedrooms and bath.

The UK has the smallest, pokiest most expensive houses in the developed
world. Space upstairs to fit a "laundry room"? We only dream of such
things. A basement? That's Hollywood man! If we had basements we would
have them done out in pink.

Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.solar.thermal,uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

wrote this:-

For example, a two story house with basement. The hot
water heater is in the basement (NG).

Why?

Away from the living areas. It makes sense. Make the basement a utility
area.

Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.solar.thermal,uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message ews.net
from "Doctor Drivel" contains these words:

Some people have secondary circulation pumps and dead legs that are not 100
foot long.

URAnAlienAICM£5

--
Skipweasel
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.
Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.solar.thermal,uk.d-i-y
wmbjk

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 21:46:45 -0500, "Solar Flare"
wrote:

"daestrom" wrote in message
Considering 50' of 1/2" nominal piping contains less than a gallon

of water,
and US machines use many gallons, the cold, stagnant water has

little
overall affect on the filled temperature.

daestrom

You would have to live in a 500 sq ft house to have less than 50' of
copper plumbing.

And yet my home is 2000 sq.ft., and there's about 15' of pipe between
the washer and the water heater. You must have been thinking of 500
sq.ft. homes in your own neighborhood, eg 10 X 50', with the washer
near the rear bumper and the hot water tank near the hitch.

Wayne
Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.solar.thermal,uk.d-i-y
Steve Spence

"Guy King" wrote in message
[...]

Well, that's a gross exaggeration, as we have energy efficient machines
here in the USA (modeled after the European ones, no doubt) that are
very close in efficiency. I have a Sears front loader washer that takes
1/3rd the electric and water of my previous unit.

--
Steve Spence
Dir., Green Trust, http://www.green-trust.org

Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.solar.thermal,uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Steve Spence" wrote in message

"Guy King" wrote in message
[...]

On "average" they are far more efficient here. But best of breed on both
side may be ~equiv. The likes of AEG make the most efficient.

Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.solar.thermal,uk.d-i-y

Steve Spence wrote:
Doctor Drivel wrote:

European machines are far more energy and water efficient. They don't
have a large bath of water in them. Water content in the most highly
efficient is very low these days.

Well, that's a gross exaggeration, as we have energy efficient machines
here in the USA (modeled after the European ones, no doubt) that are
very close in efficiency. I have a Sears front loader washer that takes
1/3rd the electric and water of my previous unit.

Do you mean 1/3 compared to a traditional top loader? Cos ours dont use
anywhere near that much.

NT

Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.solar.thermal,uk.d-i-y
daestrom

"Solar Flare" wrote in message
.. .
You would have to live in a 500 sq ft house to have less than 50' of
copper plumbing.

Not between the laundry and the hw heater. Or do you run your piping in a
huge loop all the way around the house to every fixture in turn? LOL [sic].

Even with the laundry on the second floor and HW heater in the basement, it
would have to be a pretty large house to need 50' of piping between them.

daestrom

Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.solar.thermal,uk.d-i-y
Cosmopolite

wrote this:-

For example, a two story house with basement. The hot
water heater is in the basement (NG).

Why?

That is where the furnace is.

Does it have to be there?

No, but updraft furnaces are more efficient than counterflow, which I
have, because I only have a crawl space. ( 100 year old house )

Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.solar.thermal,uk.d-i-y
Solar Flare

LOL. You forget about the spur runs to other water appliances that are
usually split off and contribute to the thermal drain. The other item
is the plumbing always goes in 90 degree angles if done by a
professional.

Cripes! My laundry tub and HW heater are more than 50' (well, maybe
40') apart the way the crow flies, let alone all the take offs in
between. I can fill my machine quarter full of cold before the hot
hits the tub. My ensuite bathroom is even worse as it is over top the
laundry room and has another 20' of pipe to go.

"daestrom" wrote in message

"Solar Flare" wrote in message
.. .
You would have to live in a 500 sq ft house to have less than 50'

of
copper plumbing.

Not between the laundry and the hw heater. Or do you run your

piping in a
huge loop all the way around the house to every fixture in turn? LOL

[sic].

Even with the laundry on the second floor and HW heater in the

basement, it
would have to be a pretty large house to need 50' of piping between

them.

daestrom

Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.solar.thermal,uk.d-i-y
wmbjk

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 19:13:28 -0500, "Solar Flare"
wrote:

"daestrom" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

Hmm, let's call it 60 feet of 1/2" copper pipe. Which holds .6
Imperial gallon of water, making your washer 2.4 gallons per fill.
What model would that be Gymmy Bob?

Wayne
Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.solar.thermal,uk.d-i-y
daestrom

"Solar Flare" wrote in message
.. .
LOL. You forget about the spur runs to other water appliances that are
usually split off and contribute to the thermal drain. The other item
is the plumbing always goes in 90 degree angles if done by a
professional.

Such splits don't have to be filled with hot water to run the washer. They
just present slightly more surface area for cooling. But then, if you
insulate the piping properly, this is a minimal affect. Net result is, you
just have a slightly larger mass of copper to warm up along the way.

Actually, in my plumbing there are a couple of places where two 45 degree
angles, with five feet between them made more sense than a 90 and 7' of
pipe. Admittedly this is rare, but that's why they make 45's. So
professionals can use them when it makes sense.

Cripes! My laundry tub and HW heater are more than 50' (well, maybe
40') apart the way the crow flies, let alone all the take offs in
between.

Again, your 'take offs in between' don't have to be purged of water. They
add very little to the calculation. Less than one extra foot or two thermal
mass to warm up..

You have an unusual house if it's 50' as the crow flies between laundry and
HW heater. My laundry's on the second floor and I've worked out the length
of piping as 27' along the pipe run.

I can fill my machine quarter full of cold before the hot
hits the tub. My ensuite bathroom is even worse as it is over top the
laundry room and has another 20' of pipe to go.

Well, then *your* house is exceptional. Maybe you should do something about
it??

daestrom

Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.solar.thermal,uk.d-i-y
daestrom

"wmbjk" wrote in message
On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 19:13:28 -0500, "Solar Flare"
wrote:

"daestrom" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Sigh... There you go using that durn 'math' again. Just keeps conflicting
with what people just 'know to be true' ;-)

daestrom

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.energy.homepower
sylvan butler

On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 01:30:30 GMT, Mark wrote:
Calculate your own Tax-Free Return On Investment [ROI]:

$ _____ Estimated Savings
$ _____ Divided by Unit Cost
%_____ Equals ROI

No, that is not correct because you have spent the principle. What you
have calcuated is an annual return on invested capital, annual ROIC.

Return on Investment is calculated using Total Return (TR) and Unit Cost (UC):

ROI = (TR - UC) / UC

For example, if you put $1000 (UC) into a certificate returning 6% (ROI)
simple interest, after one year you will get back $1060 (TR). So:
( $1060 - $1000 ) / $1000 = 0.06
or 6% ROI.

Since on your solar system you spent the principle...
* unit cost (UC) is the price of the system, plus the 6% you do not get
* total return (TR) is the savings

Unless the TR (savings) is more than you could have received by
investing the money (guaranteed IBonds are paying more than 6% right
now), you will never have a positive return on investment.

In the best case, the system will save more than the lost investment
compounded every year. And the system will last long enough to return
the principle. And then you can start calculating positive ROI.

Or else just buy it to feel good... That's why I have some PV.

sdb
sdbuse1 on mailhost bigfoot.com

Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM
Ohmwork [email protected] Home Repair 36 July 24th 04 12:22 AM
I need a little advice on running waterlines in an uninsulated crawlspace ozark Home Repair 12 January 29th 04 05:23 AM