Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.solar.thermal,uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

Default Solar water heating system value

"daestrom" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
David Hansen wrote:
On 12 Mar 2006 23:26:24 GMT someone who may be "Bob Eager"
wrote this:-

What is your solution to the (then) requirement for a zero length pipe
between the hot water cylinder and the machine?

In a sensibly designed house the taps used most often will be near
the source of hot water and the hot water pipes insulated. The
washing machine will be too. As a result hot water will arrive at
the machine almost instantly.

Do you not think that other considerations should be considered far
more important than this in sensible design?

I certainly would. For example, a two story house with basement. The hot
water heater is in the basement (NG). Should we 1) carry laundry up/down
two flights of stairs everyday to reach the washing machine from the main
bath and bedrooms, or 2) install the laundry upstairs in a hall closet
area between bedrooms and bath.

The UK has the smallest, pokiest most expensive houses in the developed
world. Space upstairs to fit a "laundry room"? We only dream of such
things. A basement? That's Hollywood man! If we had basements we would
have them done out in pink.