Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.solar.thermal,uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

Default Solar water heating system value

"Steve Spence" wrote in message
Doctor Drivel wrote:

"daestrom" wrote in message

"Brian Sharrock" wrote in message

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message
from David Hansen contains these
words:

Some/many houses are badly designed. In these it probably makes
sense to heat the water electrically, especially if there is a
shortage of water.

This is the answer I got this morning from Candy UK when I asked why
they don't sell hot/cold fill machines.

Good morning due to the cold water in take the water level intake
have been
reduced washing machines only start to heat water at around 60degrees
and
above so hot water intake is not needed hence why it it more energy
efficient

Make of that what you will.

As most DHW is 45-55C this is tripe. What they are hiding is that
they want to put less in the thing.

Most DHW has cooled down to ambient temperature in the 'dead leg' from
the store to the washing machine inlet valve. What is the _measured_
temperature of the inlet water at time A - start of fill; B - end of
fill?

Considering 50' of 1/2" nominal piping contains less than a gallon of
water, and US machines use many gallons, the cold, stagnant water has
little overall affect on the filled temperature.

European machines are far more energy and water efficient. They don't
have a large bath of water in them. Water content in the most highly
efficient is very low these days.

Well, that's a gross exaggeration, as we have energy efficient machines
here in the USA (modeled after the European ones, no doubt) that are very
close in efficiency. I have a Sears front loader washer that takes 1/3rd
the electric and water of my previous unit.

On "average" they are far more efficient here. But best of breed on both
side may be ~equiv. The likes of AEG make the most efficient.