Posted to uk.d-i-y
Vass

Default Bath panel - tiled do I need access?

Would really like to continue the tiled theme throughout the bathroom, so
was thinking of using some ply and tiling it instead of the supplied panel.
The question of access to the plubing (taps and waste for bath only) come to
mind.
Could I make a couple of holes in the tiles and screw the panel to a frame
behind and fix a rubber strip at the top for seal purposes or am I over
engineering something that
really is'nt needed?
Just block it up and forget it ?
--
Vass

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 18:57:09 -0000, "Vass"
wrote:

|Would really like to continue the tiled theme throughout the bathroom, so
|was thinking of using some ply and tiling it instead of the supplied panel.
|The question of access to the plubing (taps and waste for bath only) come to
|mind.
|Could I make a couple of holes in the tiles and screw the panel to a frame
|behind and fix a rubber strip at the top for seal purposes or am I over
|engineering something that
|really is'nt needed?
|Just block it up and forget it ?

Never block any plumbing up and forget it. You will IME always need access
under the bath, to the bath waste, and less likely the taps at some stage
in the future.
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
17,000 free e-books at Project Gutenberg! http://www.gutenberg.net
Posted to uk.d-i-y
johnty

Vass wrote:

Would really like to continue the tiled theme throughout the bathroom, so
was thinking of using some ply and tiling it instead of the supplied panel.
The question of access to the plubing (taps and waste for bath only) come to
mind.
Could I make a couple of holes in the tiles and screw the panel to a frame
behind and fix a rubber strip at the top for seal purposes or am I over
engineering something that
really is'nt needed?

Fix it with a couple of mirror screws and silicon joints instead of
grout.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Blueyonder

"Vass" wrote in message
Would really like to continue the tiled theme throughout the bathroom, so
was thinking of using some ply and tiling it instead of the supplied
panel.
The question of access to the plubing (taps and waste for bath only) come
to mind.

I've used magnets to hold my panel on. Holds nice and fast, but can be
removed in seconds if need be.

-- JJ

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 19:44:08 GMT, "Blueyonder"
wrote:

|"Vass" wrote in message
| Would really like to continue the tiled theme throughout the bathroom,so
| was thinking of using some ply and tiling it instead of the supplied
| panel.
| The question of access to the plubing (taps and waste for bath only) come
| to mind.
|
|I've used magnets to hold my panel on. Holds nice and fast, but can be
|removed in seconds if need be.

Modern magnets are wonderful. I have some 1cm dia which are N in the
middle S round the outside (or vica verca) and nothing on the back.
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
17,000 free e-books at Project Gutenberg! http://www.gutenberg.net
For Yorkshire Dialect go to www.hyphenologist.co.uk/songs/

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Liquorice

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 18:57:09 -0000, Vass wrote:

Just block it up and forget it ?

I wouldn't, Sods Law will apply. Leave access and you'll never need
it. Don't leave access and you will. I'd be tempted to make the whole
panel removeable as a tiled lump. It would have to have a fairly
ridged base so the tiles don't fall off if you move it. 3/8th ply with
battens on the back. Frame in the side of the bath with mirror screws
holding the tiled panel in place.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

Dave Fawthrop wrote:

Modern magnets are wonderful. I have some 1cm dia which are N in the
middle S round the outside (or vica verca) and nothing on the back.

I'm sure I'm being really thick asking this - but why?!
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 20:08:04 GMT, Lobster
wrote:

|Dave Fawthrop wrote:
|
| Modern magnets are wonderful. I have some 1cm dia which are N in the
| middle S round the outside (or vica verca) and nothing on the back.
|
|I'm sure I'm being really thick asking this - but why?!

They are give away items which came with a small W H Smiths white board to
stick papers onto the board. I would guess that they are that way because
it is now possible. They probably do it because it is cheaper and stronger
than N at one side of the disk and S at the other.
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
17,000 free e-books at Project Gutenberg! http://www.gutenberg.net
For Yorkshire Dialect go to www.hyphenologist.co.uk/songs/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Vass

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.com...
On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 18:57:09 -0000, Vass wrote:

Just block it up and forget it ?

I wouldn't, Sods Law will apply. Leave access and you'll never need
it. Don't leave access and you will. I'd be tempted to make the whole
panel removeable as a tiled lump. It would have to have a fairly
ridged base so the tiles don't fall off if you move it. 3/8th ply with
battens on the back. Frame in the side of the bath with mirror screws
holding the tiled panel in place.

yep thats the way I'm going to go
what about a rubber seal along the top?
(bath used as shower too)
thanks for advice all..
--
Vass

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Blueyonder

wrote:

|"Vass" wrote in message
| Would really like to continue the tiled theme throughout the bathroom, so
| was thinking of using some ply and tiling it instead of the supplied
| panel.
| The question of access to the plubing (taps and waste for bath only) come
| to mind.
|
|I've used magnets to hold my panel on. Holds nice and fast, but can be
|removed in seconds if need be.

Modern magnets are wonderful. I have some 1cm dia which are N in the
middle S round the outside (or vica verca) and nothing on the back.

I just used old magnets rescued from some chipboard wardrobes destined for
the dump. They come wrapped in plastic, with screw fixings, so are easy to
use.

If you want some *really* strong magnets, then rip an old hard-disk apart.
There are magnets in those things that are only millimetres thick, but
strong enough to bend water (really - you can see the effect by holding the
magnet under a thin tray of water while shining a bright light on the top,
and watching the reflection. They are really strong - too strong for a bath
panel, and strong enough also to give you a nasty nip, but fun to play
with).

-- JJ

Posted to uk.d-i-y
david lang

Dave Fawthrop wrote:

Modern magnets are wonderful. I have some 1cm dia which are N in the
middle S round the outside (or vica verca) and nothing on the back.

Modern neodymium-iron-boron (NdFeB) magnets are incredible. I have some of
these 'rare earth magnets'
http://www.axminster.co.uk/name/rare...nets-19790.htm

The ones the size of an aspirin are near impossible to pull apart. In fact,
if you aren't careful they catch your fingers.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Davao

"Blueyonder" wrote in message

"Vass" wrote in message
Would really like to continue the tiled theme throughout the bathroom, so
was thinking of using some ply and tiling it instead of the supplied
panel.
The question of access to the plubing (taps and waste for bath only) come
to mind.

I've used magnets to hold my panel on. Holds nice and fast, but can be
removed in seconds if need be.

Nice idea....probably better than mine. I was thinking of using velcro.

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Just recess the panel 'under' the bath, and you won't need a seal.
The supplied panels usually (IME of 3?) fit inside the bath anyway....

M.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Barry

wrote in message
oups.com...
Just recess the panel 'under' the bath, and you won't need a seal.
The supplied panels usually (IME of 3?) fit inside the bath anyway....

M.

I used plastic soffit board for a bath panel .cheap light and easy to cut to
size.
Great if you want / need a simple flat bath panel.

All the previous ideas to fit are easy to do...I found some lovely german
plastic snap screw covers in gloss white and used them in 3 vertical rows of
3
and they look like white rivets .......OK OK Im a poncey
designer...........but it looks great and easy to remove in an emergency.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Liquorice

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 23:16:23 -0000, Vass wrote:

what about a rubber seal along the top?

I'd not bother, use WBP ply and it's not going to worry about a bit of
damp. I would see if tucking the top of the panel under the lip of the
bath would produce something acceptable in appearance, it might not.
If it didn't I'd make sure the top of the panel was well sealed
somehow, varnish probably.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

johnty wrote:
Vass wrote:

Would really like to continue the tiled theme throughout the bathroom, so
was thinking of using some ply and tiling it instead of the supplied panel.
The question of access to the plubing (taps and waste for bath only) come to
mind.
Could I make a couple of holes in the tiles and screw the panel to a frame
behind and fix a rubber strip at the top for seal purposes or am I over
engineering something that
really is'nt needed?

Fix it with a couple of mirror screws and silicon joints instead of
grout.

That's a good idea but most mirror screws are too short to go through
tiles, adhesive bed, ply and still penetrate the supports sufficiently.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Clarke

In article , Vass
wrote:

Would really like to continue the tiled theme throughout the bathroom,
so was thinking of using some ply and tiling it instead of the supplied
panel. The question of access to the plubing (taps and waste for bath
only) come to mind. Could I make a couple of holes in the tiles and
screw the panel to a frame behind and fix a rubber strip at the top for
seal purposes or am I over
engineering something that
really is'nt needed?

Depending on layout and wall construction is it possible to provide an
access panel from an inconspicuous position in an adjacent room instead.

--
Mike Clarke
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rick Hughes

"Vass" wrote in message
Would really like to continue the tiled theme throughout the bathroom, so
was thinking of using some ply and tiling it instead of the supplied
panel.
The question of access to the plubing (taps and waste for bath only) come
to mind.

I made access to mine via the next room allowing uninterrupted tiling ....
used an access panel in built-in wardrobes which allowed an access panel to
be fitted into partition wall.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 12:31:45 +0000, Mike Clarke wrote:

In article , Vass
wrote:

Would really like to continue the tiled theme throughout the bathroom,
so was thinking of using some ply and tiling it instead of the supplied
panel. The question of access to the plubing (taps and waste for bath
only) come to mind. Could I make a couple of holes in the tiles and
screw the panel to a frame behind and fix a rubber strip at the top for
seal purposes or am I over
engineering something that
really is'nt needed?

Depending on layout and wall construction is it possible to provide an
access panel from an inconspicuous position in an adjacent room instead.

Or make a removabled tiled panel (mirror screws) or simply buy plenty of
spare tiles and smash the panel when the taps go..

let's face it, its a bitch to get at the taps ANYWAY even without any
panelling at all. and traps are almost impossible to replace.

I reckon that the answer is to use a water softener.

That way the taps will do 30 years, with only washer repacments, and by
that time you will want a whole new bathroom.

Shower bath mixer tap woes Andy UK diy 8 August 22nd 05 03:43 PM
suitable bath panel material kevin77 UK diy 6 January 20th 05 09:19 PM
Amana Fridge/Freezer - Control Panel Is Dead? [email protected] Electronics Repair 2 August 30th 04 04:49 AM
Service panel upgrade question Speedy Jim Home Repair 5 December 14th 03 05:17 AM
Converting soil pipe access panel to allow 40mm pipe Scott UK diy 1 August 12th 03 10:14 PM