kevin77

Default suitable bath panel material

Whats the best material for a bath panel cut to size from sheet.
hardboard
plywood
mdf
other?
Want something that wont 'soak up' the water and warp too much.
Thanks
Peter Ashby

kevin77 wrote:

Whats the best material for a bath panel cut to size from sheet.
hardboard
plywood
mdf
other?
Want something that wont 'soak up' the water and warp too much.
Thanks

Well ours is a veneered mdf, fairly high density with a routed pattern
in it. It predates us and is stable (though only looks ok). Hardboard I
wouldn't use, too flimsy and will blow when wet. Ply would be a good
choice if you find some nice stuff (stay away from the Shed ply). You
can dress it up without exposing the edge by sticking on some moulding.

Peter
Jonathan Pearson

kevin77 wrote:
Whats the best material for a bath panel cut to size from sheet.
hardboard
plywood
mdf
other?
Want something that wont 'soak up' the water and warp too much.
Thanks

We used 12 mm Ply then tiled flush with same as ones on wall - looks very
neat n best of all cheap!
Jon

StealthUK

kevin77 wrote:
Whats the best material for a bath panel cut to size from sheet.
hardboard
plywood
mdf
other?
Want something that wont 'soak up' the water and warp too much.
Thanks

Mdf is fine providing it's well sealed before fixing.

Gordon Henderson

In article ,
kevin77 wrote:
Whats the best material for a bath panel cut to size from sheet.
hardboard
plywood
mdf
other?
Want something that wont 'soak up' the water and warp too much.

We have a large bath (1800mm long) and none of the very few panels we
found for it were any good - we wanted a panel that would go the full
width if the room (bath is 8" narrower than the bathroom and fits neatly
on the back wall!)

So I ended up with a couple of bits of MDF, primed and glossed and held
in with mirror screws... I'm not 100 happy with it and know of a local
(ish) place (Newton Abbot) who cut acrylic sheet to size - however, a
bit of 5mm sheet is going to cost us £70, so maybe not thin month. (FWIW:
Thats not farr off the price of a 1mm mounded plastic bath panel though)

Gordon

quisquiliae

kevin77 wrote:
Whats the best material for a bath panel cut to size from sheet.
hardboard
plywood
mdf
other?
Want something that wont 'soak up' the water and warp too much.

Aquapanel with tiles on top.

--
David Clark

$message_body_include ="PLES RING IF AN RNSR IS REQIRD"
Old Bill

quisquiliae wrote:
kevin77 wrote:

Whats the best material for a bath panel cut to size from sheet.
hardboard
plywood
mdf
other? Want something that wont 'soak up' the water and warp too much.

Aquapanel with tiles on top.

A relative used something like that.
It was around 25mm thick and specially made for bath panel use complete
with fixings. It was nice but bloody expensive. I think he paid £50 for
the panel alone.
I just use 12mm exterior ply and tile on top.

Cutting Plastic Bath Panel Paul Shortman UK diy 4 September 28th 04 05:06 PM
Bath panel poser truman UK diy 10 August 28th 04 08:37 AM
replacing wood bath panel with acrylic or painting white? Zipadee Doodar UK diy 3 August 1st 04 09:05 AM
Where can I buy a beige bath panel Mitch UK diy 6 February 16th 04 02:25 AM
How to straighten bowed T&G bath panel Michael D UK diy 4 January 8th 04 10:28 AM