Michael D

Default How to straighten bowed T&G bath panel

I making up a bath panel for the side of my bath out of 7mm T&G. So
that I can remove the panel the T&G is backed by 2 spruce battens
(approx 180cms x 3.5cmx x 1.8cms) running horizontally behind the T&G.
The battens will rest in notches cut into the timber frame (because
of the small gap between the edge of the bath & the timber frame I
didn't have much choice).

The problem is that the panel has become slightly bowed horizontally.
It's bending about 7or 8 mms away from the bath in the middle of the
panel & it's enough to cause the panel to stick out beyond the bath.
It doesn't help that the horizontal top of the timber frame which it
rests on is also slightly bowed, but in the other direction giving a
() type effect (ie from above).

How can I straighten the panel? It's the batten at the top that I'm
more concerned about (as it shows more). My ideas are to use clamps
or a weight to straighten it or try sticking some kind of wood behind
as a stiffener. Are these sensible ideas - if so are there any tips
about how to do it quicker (eg dampning, cooling or warming the
timber. Any other suggestions or tips would be very welcome as it's
causing me a real headache.

Thanks,

Michael
BillR

Michael D wrote:
[...]

Wouldn't it be quicker to replace the frame, this time with decent treated
timber?
I just did this the other day for my daughter as the existing bath frame was
useless.
It only took me 1.5 hours to make a new sturdy fram which supports the bath
better too.

Michael D

BillR wrote

Wouldn't it be quicker to replace the frame, this time with decent
treated
timber?
I just did this the other day for my daughter as the existing bath
frame was
useless.
It only took me 1.5 hours to make a new sturdy fram which supports
the bath
better too.

It's taken me ages to do the whole thing so far (I'm not the most
advanced...). By the time I'd cut the battens & the T&G and then
fixed & glued the T&G properly to the battens (I did it a couple of
pieces at a time to stop the glueing being disturbed).

Also I've already had to give-up my first attempt as it was off level,
so I really don't want to start again if anyone does know a way around
it.

Michael
stuart noble

Mark S. wrote in message ...
I made a temporary headboard from "floorboard" planks from one of the
sheds and the support (overly constructed for the purpose) that the
boards were fasten to is straining to hold them as they are warped to
buggery so I'd suspect your woods the same?

Almost all shed timber is cheap construction grade spruce, or what a timber
merchant sells as "studding". It should actually be drier and more stable
than joinery quality, having to conform to a BS specification but, as always
with timber, it's the luck of the draw. It's only ever dried to an average
moisture content.