Chris Street

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 15:01:46 GMT, David Bostwick wrote:

In article , "Bob Mannix" wrote:

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
In uk.d-i-y Chris Street wrote:
On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 16:12:07 +0100, Christian McArdle wrote:

Paraffin is also a good solvent for adhesives, along with
liquid butane, propane etc. etc.

Butane and propane are gaseous on this planet. Unless you're planning to
put
the items in question actually inside the pressurised container.

Christian.

Butane is liquid at STP

A rapidly boiling liquid.
It will last a fair time if you have an open bucket though.
Much as a bucket of water will in a 120C oven.

By that argument Carbon Dioxide is a solid at STP as, if you get a big chunk
of it, it lasts a fair while )

The statement "is a liquid at STP" is generally inferred as meaning "when
the whole mass of the liquid is at 0degC"

Bob Mannix

Isn't STP 25C, 760mm?

I think that's RTP

STP is 0C and 101325Pa (not exactly sure how the temperature is defined)
charles

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 14:38:38 +0100, Joe Smith wrote:

I got a small can of cigarette lighter fuel (the liquid stuff) to use
as a solvent to dissolve the adhesive used in items like foam "sticky
pads".

In the can of lighter fuel it refers to "petrol lighters".

Does this mean that for my purpose I could have simply used some
orinary car petrol?

Or is lighter fuel made of a different composition to car petrol?

There are a couple of commercial products sold for similar purpose.
Goof-Off and Goo-Gone. One of them will remove paint, I forget which
is which.

Guy King

The message
from Chris Street contains these words:

butane
0.5C is the boling point at standard pressure according to my reference.

I think you may have missed the "-" sign. All the referrences I can find
give it as -0.5°C.

And given that most dry land is above sea level you can expect for
practical applications it'll boil lower than that.

--
Skipweasel.
Ivor Cutler - "Never knowingly understood."

Guy King

The message
from charles contains these words:

There are a couple of commercial products sold for similar purpose.
Goof-Off and Goo-Gone. One of them will remove paint, I forget which
is which.

Or this stuff, for plasters...
http://www.bostockhealthcare.co.uk/i...-Wipes--ZOFW20

--
Skipweasel.
Ivor Cutler - "Never knowingly understood."

Attila the Bum

Joe Smith wrote:
[snip]
OTOH some people here have thought I was referring to:
http://www.ronson.com/products/accessories/butane.html

which has the MSDS sheet:
http://physchem.ox.ac.uk/MSDS/BU/butane.html

Babbling children with no sense of
time or space, only self :-)

Atty (Whilst looting &c., we found
Ronsonol to be a superior
material for initiating ....)

if you pour 'em out into a jar they'll stay liquid for some time,
merrily boiling away as they absorb energy from the surroundings to
achieve their latent heat of evaporation. During this stage it's quite
possible to use them as liquid solvents

ok, i'm picturing this liquid do a great job of separating the bad
from the good, then.... the liquid evaporates, leaving the bad still on
the good.

obviously, i have an incomplete picture, because liquid CO2 is being
used in everyday practice as a dry-cleaning fluid. EG,
www.ladieswholaunder.com/faq.html

Steve Burt

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message
from charles contains these words:

There are a couple of commercial products sold for similar purpose.
Goof-Off and Goo-Gone. One of them will remove paint, I forget which
is which.

Or this stuff, for plasters...

http://www.bostockhealthcare.co.uk/i...-Wipes--ZOFW20

One of the Stain Devils (the one for 'chewing gum, and glue') is excellent
at getting off sticky residues,as well.

Fred

"Grunff" wrote in message
BigWallop wrote:

Lighter fuel is more refined than car petrol, but you can use normal
petrol
as a solvent as well of course. Paraffin is also a good solvent for
adhesives, along with liquid butane, propane etc. etc.

Liquid butane and propane eh?

Why do you persist in posting utter crap about things which you really
don't understand?

--
Grunff

What's wrong with butane - particularly in cold weather? At least you don't
have to wait ages for it all to evaporate away.

Petrol in Diesel Engine MartinC UK diy 120 September 5th 05 10:41 PM
What do YOU use kerosene for? Bob in Oregon Woodworking 115 March 14th 05 10:32 AM
Petrol Cement Mixer - which fuel to use? Shabs UK diy 4 November 12th 04 05:20 PM
Ohmwork [email protected] Home Repair 36 July 24th 04 12:22 AM
White Gas, Coleman Fuel, and Unleaded Gasoline Gunner Metalworking 11 October 6th 03 05:44 AM