Richard Schultz

Default Fuel for cigarette lighters = petrol?

In sci.chem Joe Smith wrote:

: In the can of lighter fuel it refers to "petrol lighters".

Are you sure that it doesn't say "petroleum ether"?

-----
Richard Schultz
-----
And when I found the door was shut,
I tried to turn the handle, but --
BigWallop

"Joe Smith" wrote in message
I got a small can of cigarette lighter fuel (the liquid stuff) to use
as a solvent to dissolve the adhesive used in items like foam "sticky
pads".

In the can of lighter fuel it refers to "petrol lighters".

Does this mean that for my purpose I could have simply used some
orinary car petrol?

Or is lighter fuel made of a different composition to car petrol?

Lighter fuel is more refined than car petrol, but you can use normal petrol
as a solvent as well of course. Paraffin is also a good solvent for
adhesives, along with liquid butane, propane etc. etc.

Grunff

BigWallop wrote:

Lighter fuel is more refined than car petrol, but you can use normal petrol
as a solvent as well of course. Paraffin is also a good solvent for
adhesives, along with liquid butane, propane etc. etc.

Liquid butane and propane eh?

Why do you persist in posting utter crap about things which you really
don't understand?

--
Grunff
BigWallop

"Grunff" wrote in message
BigWallop wrote:

Lighter fuel is more refined than car petrol, but you can use normal

petrol
as a solvent as well of course. Paraffin is also a good solvent for
adhesives, along with liquid butane, propane etc. etc.

Liquid butane and propane eh?

Why do you persist in posting utter crap about things which you really
don't understand?

Grunff

STFU!!!! Pedantic old git!!!! If you don't understand it, then it's wrong?
Then you should do more research on things used as solvents.

Grunff

BigWallop wrote:

STFU!!!! Pedantic old git!!!! If you don't understand it, then it's wrong?
Then you should do more research on things used as solvents.

You're an idiot, and you don't know when to quit.

--
Grunff

BigWallop

"Grunff" wrote in message
BigWallop wrote:

STFU!!!! Pedantic old git!!!! If you don't understand it, then it's

wrong?
Then you should do more research on things used as solvents.

You're an idiot, and you don't know when to quit.

Grunff

OK then. Bye Now!!!! Don't let the door hit your arse as you leave. :-)
LOL

Guy King

The message
from Grunff contains these words:

Lighter fuel is more refined than car petrol, but you can use normal
petrol
as a solvent as well of course. Paraffin is also a good solvent for
adhesives, along with liquid butane, propane etc. etc.

Liquid butane and propane eh?

Why do you persist in posting utter crap about things which you really
don't understand?

I've used liquid butane as a solvent for gum before now. Works fine if
you're quick enoughl.

--
Skipweasel.
Ivor Cutler - "Never knowingly understood."

Colin Stamp

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 17:21:12 +0100, Guy King
wrote:

The message
from Grunff contains these words:

Lighter fuel is more refined than car petrol, but you can use normal
petrol
as a solvent as well of course. Paraffin is also a good solvent for
adhesives, along with liquid butane, propane etc. etc.

Liquid butane and propane eh?

Why do you persist in posting utter crap about things which you really
don't understand?

I've used liquid butane as a solvent for gum before now. Works fine if
you're quick enoughl.

Same here. If you spray enough on, you don't even need to be that
quick. Watch out for frostbite though!

Cheers,

Colin.
Chris Street

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 17:21:12 +0100, Guy King wrote:

The message
from Grunff contains these words:

Lighter fuel is more refined than car petrol, but you can use normal
petrol
as a solvent as well of course. Paraffin is also a good solvent for
adhesives, along with liquid butane, propane etc. etc.

Liquid butane and propane eh?

Why do you persist in posting utter crap about things which you really
don't understand?

I've used liquid butane as a solvent for gum before now. Works fine if
you're quick enoughl.

Put the container and the item to be cleaned in the freezer and it'll stay
liquid for some considerable time in fact.
Fred

"Grunff" wrote in message
BigWallop wrote:

Lighter fuel is more refined than car petrol, but you can use normal
petrol
as a solvent as well of course. Paraffin is also a good solvent for
adhesives, along with liquid butane, propane etc. etc.

Liquid butane and propane eh?

Why do you persist in posting utter crap about things which you really
don't understand?

--
Grunff

What's wrong with butane - particularly in cold weather? At least you don't
have to wait ages for it all to evaporate away.

BigWallop wrote:
"Joe Smith" wrote in message
I got a small can of cigarette lighter fuel (the liquid stuff) to use
as a solvent to dissolve the adhesive used in items like foam "sticky
pads".

In the can of lighter fuel it refers to "petrol lighters".

Does this mean that for my purpose I could have simply used some
orinary car petrol?

Or is lighter fuel made of a different composition to car petrol?

Lighter fuel is more refined than car petrol, but you can use normal petrol
as a solvent as well of course. Paraffin is also a good solvent for
adhesives, along with liquid butane, propane etc. etc.

You like working under high pressure in the cold?

MBQ

Christian McArdle

Paraffin is also a good solvent for adhesives, along with
liquid butane, propane etc. etc.

Butane and propane are gaseous on this planet. Unless you're planning to put
the items in question actually inside the pressurised container.

Christian.

BigWallop

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
. net...
Paraffin is also a good solvent for adhesives, along with
liquid butane, propane etc. etc.

Butane and propane are gaseous on this planet. Unless you're planning to

put
the items in question actually inside the pressurised container.

Christian.

Everyone seems to be taking this the wrong way. I mean a squirt of butane
or propane from the can on to a stained item can help to dissolved and clean
the stain off.

Why the hell does everyone take things in the purely scientific scheme in
here. Things don't have to be broken down to the science of their workings
all the time, and it is mostly sufficient to make a statement that will work
without having to go into the pure science of how the stain is actually
created in the fibres of the item all the time.

Advice on things that work, as long as it's safe advice, is what this group
is all about. Why are all you scientist not doing some research work during
the day or night anyway? I think it's because you're all "know it alls" and
no one will work alongside you all.

A little squirt of from a can of butane on to a stain can help in removing
it. I know this works because I've used it on many occasions. I've never
had to take the item in to a pressure chamber so I can make the butane or
propane stay as a liquid, I've never had to because a simple little squirt
from a can has always been enough.

Now please, get a real life all of you. :-)

PC Paul

BigWallop wrote:

Now please, get a real life all of you. :-)

If we had a life, do you think we'd be talking to you?

BigWallop

"PC Paul" wrote in message
.uk...
BigWallop wrote:

Now please, get a real life all of you. :-)

If we had a life, do you think we'd be talking to you?

My point exactly. Thanks for that PC Paul. :-)) Someone with a bit sense
at last. LOL

BigWallop wrote:

Why the hell does everyone take things in the purely scientific scheme in
here.

If in here, you mean :
uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.cars.misc then I dunno.

But over on sci.chem, that's what the newsgroup is all about. Read the
charter for the group in question before you crosspost. You can edit
out groups even as you reply.

BigWallop

wrote in message
oups.com...

BigWallop wrote:

Why the hell does everyone take things in the purely scientific scheme

in
here.

If in here, you mean :
uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.cars.misc then I dunno.

But over on sci.chem, that's what the newsgroup is all about. Read the
charter for the group in question before you crosspost. You can edit
out groups even as you reply.

Extremely sorry Sir. I didn't mean to cause offence amongst the other
groups. I did of course mean the uk.d-i-y group only. Please accept my
sincerest apologies.

In uk.d-i-y BigWallop wrote:
Everyone seems to be taking this the wrong way. I mean a squirt of butane
or propane from the can on to a stained item can help to dissolved and clean
the stain off.

Where do you find these 'cans' from which "a squirt of butane or
propane from the can" may be produced? All the propane and butane
that I've seen comes in pressurised containers.

Or am I being silly - can you get little cans of propane/butane for
filling lighters (which is where we came in).

--
Chris Green

Ian Stirling

In uk.d-i-y Christian McArdle wrote:
Paraffin is also a good solvent for adhesives, along with
liquid butane, propane etc. etc.

Butane and propane are gaseous on this planet. Unless you're planning to put
the items in question actually inside the pressurised container.

Butane is liquid on a fair proportion of the planet.

Dave Liquorice

On 21 Jul 2005 15:22:39 GMT, Ian Stirling wrote:

Butane and propane are gaseous on this planet. Unless you're
planning to put the items in question actually inside the
pressurised container.

Butane is liquid on a fair proportion of the planet.

If you are thinking of the deep ocean deposits I think you'll find
they are methane and solid.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Ian Stirling

In uk.d-i-y Dave Liquorice wrote:
On 21 Jul 2005 15:22:39 GMT, Ian Stirling wrote:

Butane and propane are gaseous on this planet. Unless you're
planning to put the items in question actually inside the
pressurised container.

Butane is liquid on a fair proportion of the planet.

If you are thinking of the deep ocean deposits I think you'll find
they are methane and solid.

Actually, anywhere where the temperature is below about 0C.

Andy Dingley

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 21:29:10 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

Butane is liquid on a fair proportion of the planet.

If you are thinking of the deep ocean deposits I think you'll find
they are methane and solid.

Butane refuses to vapourise in the winter, hence the popularity of
propane.

Still not a viable liquid solvent though - your fingers would keep
freezing to things.
The Natural Philosopher

Dave Liquorice wrote:

On 21 Jul 2005 15:22:39 GMT, Ian Stirling wrote:

Butane and propane are gaseous on this planet. Unless you're
planning to put the items in question actually inside the
pressurised container.

Butane is liquid on a fair proportion of the planet.

If you are thinking of the deep ocean deposits I think you'll find
they are methane and solid.

Methane Hydrate.

Not methane.

Chris Street

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 16:12:07 +0100, Christian McArdle wrote:

Paraffin is also a good solvent for adhesives, along with
liquid butane, propane etc. etc.

Butane and propane are gaseous on this planet. Unless you're planning to put
the items in question actually inside the pressurised container.

Christian.

Butane is liquid at STP
Paul Rooney

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 11:20:22 +0100, Chris Street
wrote:

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 16:12:07 +0100, Christian McArdle wrote:

Paraffin is also a good solvent for adhesives, along with
liquid butane, propane etc. etc.

Butane and propane are gaseous on this planet. Unless you're planning to put
the items in question actually inside the pressurised container.

Christian.

Butane is liquid at STP

That's 0 degrees C isn't it? What's butane's boiling point? It
evaporates very fast at room temperature, as you discover when you
unscrew an unresealable cartridge from your camping stove!

"I always knew the entire Green party were nutters" - Ken Livingstone
John Laird

wrote:

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 16:12:07 +0100, Christian McArdle wrote:

Paraffin is also a good solvent for adhesives, along with
liquid butane, propane etc. etc.

Butane and propane are gaseous on this planet. Unless you're planning to put
the items in question actually inside the pressurised container.

Christian.

Butane is liquid at STP

How do you get over the small matter of the boiling point of n-butane being
just below 0C ? (Iso-butane boils about 10C lower.)

A puddle of it might sit for some time at STP, but ultimately it will end up
as a gas.

--
Say something cutting and back it up with big people.
Bob Mannix

"Chris Street" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 16:12:07 +0100, Christian McArdle wrote:

Paraffin is also a good solvent for adhesives, along with
liquid butane, propane etc. etc.

Butane and propane are gaseous on this planet. Unless you're planning to
put
the items in question actually inside the pressurised container.

Christian.

Butane is liquid at STP

No it isn't

Bob Mannix

Chris Bacon

Bob Mannix wrote:
"Chris Street" wrote...
Butane is liquid at STP

No it isn't

Boils at 273K if I've read my book correctly.

Chris Street

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 11:43:12 +0100, Bob Mannix wrote:

"Chris Street" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 16:12:07 +0100, Christian McArdle wrote:

Paraffin is also a good solvent for adhesives, along with
liquid butane, propane etc. etc.

Butane and propane are gaseous on this planet. Unless you're planning to
put
the items in question actually inside the pressurised container.

Christian.

Butane is liquid at STP

No it isn't

0.5C is the boling point at standard pressure according to my reference.

Bob Mannix

Ian Stirling

In uk.d-i-y Chris Street wrote:
On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 16:12:07 +0100, Christian McArdle wrote:

Paraffin is also a good solvent for adhesives, along with
liquid butane, propane etc. etc.

Butane and propane are gaseous on this planet. Unless you're planning to put
the items in question actually inside the pressurised container.

Christian.

Butane is liquid at STP

A rapidly boiling liquid.
It will last a fair time if you have an open bucket though.
Much as a bucket of water will in a 120C oven.
Bob Mannix

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
In uk.d-i-y Chris Street wrote:
On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 16:12:07 +0100, Christian McArdle wrote:

Paraffin is also a good solvent for adhesives, along with
liquid butane, propane etc. etc.

Butane and propane are gaseous on this planet. Unless you're planning to
put
the items in question actually inside the pressurised container.

Christian.

Butane is liquid at STP

A rapidly boiling liquid.
It will last a fair time if you have an open bucket though.
Much as a bucket of water will in a 120C oven.

By that argument Carbon Dioxide is a solid at STP as, if you get a big chunk
of it, it lasts a fair while )

The statement "is a liquid at STP" is generally inferred as meaning "when
the whole mass of the liquid is at 0degC"

Bob Mannix

Guy King

The message
from Chris Street contains these words:

Butane is liquid at STP

You sure? I thought STP was 20°C. Butane boils at -0.5°C

--
Skipweasel.
Ivor Cutler - "Never knowingly understood."

John Rumm

Guy King wrote:

The message
from Chris Street contains these words:

Butane is liquid at STP

You sure? I thought STP was 20ï½°C. Butane boils at -0.5ï½°C

Nope that is SATP (A for ambient)

--
Cheers,

John.

Andy Dingley

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 13:55:30 GMT, "BigWallop"
wrote:

you can use normal petrol as a solvent

Don't use petrol as a solvent. Apart from the explosion hazard (which
is very real), since they took the lead out the replacements are _far_
worse as acute toxins.

along with liquid butane, propane etc. etc.

Liquid ? What's the pressure on your planet ?

The Natural Philosopher

BigWallop wrote:

"Joe Smith" wrote in message

I got a small can of cigarette lighter fuel (the liquid stuff) to use
as a solvent to dissolve the adhesive used in items like foam "sticky
pads".

In the can of lighter fuel it refers to "petrol lighters".

Does this mean that for my purpose I could have simply used some
orinary car petrol?

Or is lighter fuel made of a different composition to car petrol?

Lighter fuel is more refined than car petrol, but you can use normal petrol
as a solvent as well of course. Paraffin is also a good solvent for
adhesives, along with liquid butane, propane etc. etc.

Interesting. How do you plan to keep this propane and butane liquid then?
Adrian

The Natural Philosopher ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying :

Interesting. How do you plan to keep this propane and butane liquid
then?

In a bucket, dear Liza, dear Liza.
Christian McArdle

Does this mean that for my purpose I could have simply used some
orinary car petrol?

Put simply, yes. Petrol is commonly used as a cleaning fluid. For
occassional cleaning purpose, it is more convenient as lighter fluid than a
2l minimum purchase of unleaded into a sealed container.

Or is lighter fuel made of a different composition to car petrol?

For the purpose intended, the differences are negligible.

Christian.

Petrol in Diesel Engine MartinC UK diy 120 September 5th 05 10:41 PM
What do YOU use kerosene for? Bob in Oregon Woodworking 115 March 14th 05 10:32 AM
Petrol Cement Mixer - which fuel to use? Shabs UK diy 4 November 12th 04 05:20 PM
Ohmwork [email protected] Home Repair 36 July 24th 04 12:22 AM
White Gas, Coleman Fuel, and Unleaded Gasoline Gunner Metalworking 11 October 6th 03 05:44 AM