Mike Mitchell

Default 20 ways to loose money on your house...

On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 00:09:14 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Mike Mitchell wrote:

On Tue, 3 Aug 2004 18:43:13 +0100, "G&M"
wrote:

"Mike Mitchell" wrote in message

On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 08:43:48 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

google 'Edwina Currie' and see why she had to resgnfor telling the truth.

She had to resign because no one liked her - except John Major.

Only for the one purpose that kept her mouth quiet I expect.

That's about as subtle as a Tom & Jerry cartoon!

I suppose in that sense, eggs can be deadly for some. Oh, and what is
the status of free range eggs today?

Available from many farms - just drive past and look for the signs.

Hopefully, I'll be keeping one or two laying hens when I move further
into the sticks.

Or is the countryside on which
chickens range freely being sprayed with antibiotics?

Nope

Eggszactly! Honestly, some people trying to convince me free range is
bad!

Loads of flavour, loads of nutritional value, and loads of salmonella.

Your choice. I love em, but I make sure they get cooked.

Nothing will stop me from consuming soft eggs - boiled, fried,
poached, scrambled or in an omelette. Hard eggs, except hard boiled
ones that I then mash up with a fork and some mayonnaise, are not as
nice to eat, in my opinion.

MM
Mike Mitchell

wrote:

google 'Edwina Currie' and see why she had to resgnfor telling the truth.

She had to resign because no one liked her - except John Major. I
suppose in that sense, eggs can be deadly for some. Oh, and what is
the status of free range eggs today? Or is the countryside on which
chickens range freely being sprayed with antibiotics?

They are as Edwina said, fairly loaded with salmonella. Except when the
chickens are given regular antibiotics.

Chickens eat **** and dirt off the ground. And worms, and beetles, and
bits of soil with every bacterium known to man clinging to them.

They then **** on their eggs, or have faces sticking to their arses when
they lay them.

That's why you have laying boxes - to roll the eggs clear of chicken ****.

No, it's not. Laying boxes are to encourage the hens to lay in the
same place, otherwise you waste far too much time, and time is
precious to a farmer, going around all the nooks and crannies where
they may have dropped one.

MM
Mike Mitchell

On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 00:07:48 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Not salmonella. That hasn't mutated. MRSA is a streptococcus I think.
I grew up teh 50's before fridges were commin and wen antibiotics were
rarely prescrbed except in dire emergencies. Boy did we suffer some
gastro enteric bugs then!

You must have been doing something wrong, then, because I, too, grew
up in the 1950s without fridges. We didn't (ever, as far as I recall)
have tummy bugs. The only medical attention I needed was for almost
slicing my finger off in a bicycle chain when I fell off my bike while
showing off, and when I had my tonsils out. My Dad fell out of a plum
tree while pruning it, so he had to go to hospital to have his lip
sewn up and shoulder put back into its socket, and that was about all
I can remember. Oh, I did manage to break my brother's leg by falling
on him during horseplay, and my cousin broke her arm (only a
greenstick fracture, though) by jumping off a hay rick. Problems with
food contamination figured absolutely not at all, either in my family
or in any of the families of the mates I used to knock around with,
all of them country lads, like me. We scrumped apples and ate them
without, duh, washing them! How would we have washed apples anyway,
out there in the middle of an orchard? Same with blackberries, cob
nuts, elderberries, wild strawberries and suchlike, all of which may
have been shat upon by a Hitchcock of birds for all we knew.

MRSA is bascally the result of t othings - using penicillin etc and not
using antiseptic techniques because you always could use penicillin.

We just got slack, that's all.

There I agree with you. But the current panic is simply because the
NHS has become too bureaucratic and the management are absolving
themselves of responsibility by farming out the cleaning contracts to
firms who don't give a damn and who want to make a fast buck from the
taxpayer.

MM
ANt

whooa...check out what someone did to the Garden of this period
cottage...that's gotta be on the list surely !...

http://www.masellacoupe.co.uk/reside...l.php?view=750
Mike Mitchell

On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 23:02:51 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Mike Mitchell wrote:
And I expect they will all be defeated! The idea that the *council*
can dictate what an owner has to fit on his or her floor is risible.
How about sound-proofing the walls, or force-fitting net curtains in
case the neighbours can look in and be embarrassed? Someone should
take these councils by the metaphorical scruff of the neck, then beat
their heads against a wall till their ears bleed.

So you'd be perfectly happy to hear people clumping around above you if
you lived in a flat?

I wouldn't live in a flat for that very reason, and others, e.g.
leasehold, ground rent, arguments over this, that and the other. Flats
are a complete no-no as far as I'm concerned. I'd rather live in a
bender in the woods.

MM
Mike Mitchell

On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 08:59:57 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 00:04:50 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

"G&M" wrote in message

Edinburgh issued proceedings on somebody three weeks ago. Milton

Keynes
has
a large case file pending the outcome.

Proceeding for what? Singing in the bath?

There's nothing much else to do in Milton Keynes.... The best
views are in the rear view mirror.

You have never been to Milton Keynes. You probably thought it was in Essex.
Greenest town/city I have ever been to.

What is there to do in Edinburgh?

Um, leave?

MM
Mike Mitchell

On 4 Aug 2004 13:21:26 -0000, Jerry Built
wrote:

Huge wrote:
[ snip all ]

I suspect your grasp of biology is not what it might be.

There are some more contributions that invite wry amusement since
that (snipped) one. Where *do* these ideas come from?? Mutations,
salmonella, antibiotics, chickens "****ting on their eggs", and
having faces stuck to their arses!! Extraordinary!!!

Several politicians have this problem of faces stuck to their arses
all the time. One George W. Bush and associate friendly face, Tony
Blair, come to mind here.

MM

Mike Mitchell wrote:
I'm not a blind follower of fashion, and laminate flooring is simply a
fashion - and a cheap and nasty one at that. With many disadvantages apart
from looking like what it is - a sham.

I don't see any disadvaantages to laminates.

How about that they look like cheap plastic.......

They are cheap plastic! Mine only cost around £137 for three bedrooms!
However, what do you say to the "cheap plastic" look of a million
worktops? Or the "cheap plastic" look of ten million car bumpers?

They're OK, as long as they don't pretend to be wood. Cheap plastic
pseudo-wood in cars looks just as awful as psuedo-wood laminate
flooring. It's gone out of fashion mostly too.

--
Chris Green

Jerry Built

IMM wrote:
Laminates put money on your house.

Hmm. I shouldn't think they make any positive difference. If I
bought a house with laminated flooring I would want to remove
the laminate. That might mean dealing with altered skirting
boards, door frames, etc., which would mean extra work. At best,
I should thing the effect on value of fitting this stuff would
be neutral. Also, it may be that laminate floor, like "woodchip"
wallpaper, could be used to hide defects.

J.B.

Andy Hall

On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 15:52:56 +0100, Mike Mitchell
wrote:

On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 23:11:52 +0100, Andy Hall
wrote:

On 3 Aug 2004 05:45:19 -0700, (timegoesby)
wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message ...
In article ,
Mike Mitchell wrote:

I'd rather have my toenails extracted by old pliers than have that
rubbish in my house. If I wanted something to look like wood, I'd use
wood which will.

A lot of people like it, though. Do you think it's infra dig to dislike
it so?

I'm not a blind follower of fashion, and laminate flooring is simply a
fashion - and a cheap and nasty one at that. With many disadvantages apart
from looking like what it is - a sham.

I don't see any disadvaantages to laminates.

How about that they look like cheap plastic.......

They are cheap plastic! Mine only cost around £137 for three bedrooms!
However, what do you say to the "cheap plastic" look of a million
worktops?

Almost as bad.

Or the "cheap plastic" look of ten million car bumpers?

That's a different environment.

Maybe we should all demand the old bumpers back, the chromium plated
ones made of 2 mm thick steel that wreaked havoc when wrapped around
a pedestrian's head. Look at all the cheap plastic-type clothes we
wear today instead of 100% cotton, wool and leather.

You might - I don't.

Plastic is not
all bad, you know! How much do you think my three bedrooms would have
cost to do out in real wood? £500?

That would depend on the size, but £30/m^2 is a typical price.

MM

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Hall

On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 08:59:57 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

.. .

"G&M" wrote in message

Edinburgh issued proceedings on somebody three weeks ago. Milton

Keynes
has
a large case file pending the outcome.

Proceeding for what? Singing in the bath?

There's nothing much else to do in Milton Keynes.... The best
views are in the rear view mirror.

You have never been to Milton Keynes.

Actually I have, which is how I know how apealling it is even to get
onto the M1.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Hall

On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 15:18:33 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

"Jerry Built" wrote in message
. ..
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics) wrote:
Lovely idea if you live on the continent where it is warm
underfoot. Not in the UK though.

U/F heating, dork!

Yes, a very good way of "loosing money on your house". Horrid
way of heating. The "laminated flooring" of heating systems.

Laminates put money on your house.

ROTFLRLMAO.

You'd be better spending it at Ladbrokes.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
IMM wrote:
How about that they look like cheap plastic.......

The cheapish laminates do look naffish. the expensive ones are
indistinguishable from wood.

They might well be to you, but that's not saying much. I can spot any at a
hundred yards...

I don't disagree with that, but don't see laminate as an attractive
alternative either.

They are. They are far better than your swirly patterned carpets.

And I thought shag pile would have been more your scene.

--
*Women like silent men; they think they're listening.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
IMM wrote:
Replacing their carpet with 'hollow sounding wood flooring'. I presume

this
means some form of cheap laminate.

All they had to do was put the thick underlay under the laminate. Then,
unless wearing stilettos, the footsteps are muted.

But most people buy laminate flooring because it's cheap. Add a decent
underlay and it no longer is. And cheap laminate will simply break at the
joins.

--
*I wish the buck stopped here. I could use a few.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Arthur

If your quilts are made of polyester, they are the laminate floor of quilts.

Arthur

"S Viemeister" wrote in message
Arthur wrote:

Hmm.

Parquet lovers!?
=
Lovers of floors made up from small rectangular blocks of timber

arranged
into geometric pattern.

Fail to see why anyone would love them!

Offcuts, is what I see.

I like patchwork quilts, too.

Sheila

G&M

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
There's nothing much else to do in Milton Keynes.... The best
views are in the rear view mirror.

You have never been to Milton Keynes.

Actually I have, which is how I know how apealling it is even to get
onto the M1.

There is a good go-kart track there. And I don't mean the roundabouts :-)
Apart from that, I think Edinburgh wins hands down.

The Natural Philosopher

Jerry Built wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics) wrote:

Lovely idea if you live on the continent where it is warm
underfoot. Not in the UK though.

U/F heating, dork!

Yes, a very good way of "loosing money on your house". Horrid
way of heating. The "laminated flooring" of heating systems.

Total ********.

Absolutely the best ever form of heating.
J.B.

The Natural Philosopher

wrote:

[...]

Its not the hospitals that are dirty, its the doctors hands....

Pa in law went to have catheter examination of bladder, and 8 hours
later was in high fever and incredible pain.

They claimed they nicked the bladder wall. But my guess is the catheter
wasn't sterile - its bound to rub up somewhere.

Not many patients go rubbing open wounds along the hospital floors. But
all get nurses and doctors poking in them with supposedly sterile
instruments.

My dentists once gave me a course of antibiotics to 'kill the bugs
before I drill into them because the chances of getting in somewhere
else is pretty high'

That's sensible IMHO.

MM

The Natural Philosopher

Mike Mitchell wrote:

[...]

I reckon decent flooring is between 50 and 100 a square meter.

Fitted carpets are lower - decent carpet can be rolled out at 20 or so
fitted.

Vinyl of any quality is MORE expensive IIRC, and my guess is that
laminate is just another sub 20 quid covering that is currently
fashionable the way fitted carpet used to be.

My laminate fitted ended up nearer 50 quid a meter, but its real wood.

MM

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Mike Mitchell

Mike Mitchell wrote:

[...]

Ah, so it would have cost me roughly £1,000!!!

MM
Ian Stirling

G&M wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
G&M wrote:
And HIV doesn't kill anybody - only if it progresses to AIDS is there a
problem. A big problem admittedly (you ARE going to die) but ...

IIRC, AIDS as such doesn't kill you either - it's one of a number of
'opportune' diseases that attack the now immune deficient body.

Sort of, though you often die of something you've happily lived with and
been immune to since birth.

You could die of the acute HIV virus, if you had a very weak immune system,
but it's usually little more than a mild fever.
S Viemeister

Arthur wrote:

If your quilts are made of polyester, they are the laminate floor of quilts.

100% cotton, including the thread.

Sheila
(please don't top-post)

Ian Stirling

Huge wrote:
"Lose", "lose". Not bloody "loose".

I dunno.
I can think of many ways to loose money on your house.
Leaky pockets for example.
Ian Stirling

Steve Firth wrote:
snip

In the past, I had experienc eof a horrible outbreak of disease in a
hospital which was eventually traced to a cleaner who used "Dettol" in
the belief that by swabbing everythign with it she was keeping the ward
nice and clean. When tested her supply of Dettol was the source of the
infection, the bugs loved the taste of it.

There was a recent case of wound infections that was traced to contamination
at a medical bottling plant.
The catch?
It was bottling surgical iodine, in which the bacteria were quite happy.
Ian Stirling

Mike Mitchell wrote:
On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 19:51:43 +0100, Grunff wrote:

Huge wrote:

The ground floor of our house is parquet. We covered the cold,
uncomfortable, noisy, dusty stuff up with carpet. We like it lots. It's
nice. ;-)

I do like the way carpet feels, but I really don't like the way it
behaves when it comes into contact with dirt ;-)

We've gone for carpet in the bedrooms, landing and stairs. But no carpet
anywhere else. It's nice.

What beats me is that the laminate floor manufacturers have produced
just about every grain or style known to man, yet they still have no
carpet-patterned laminate. For those who like carpets, surely this

What about "summer meadow" pattern, with grass and flowers/...
Andy Hall

On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 19:58:55 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

That would depend on the size, but £30/m^2 is a typical price.

I reckon decent flooring is between 50 and 100 a square meter.

I was talking about supply, not fit.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Andy Hall

wrote:

That would depend on the size, but £30/m^2 is a typical price.

Ah, so it would have cost me roughly £1,000!!!

Could be, but it is a product in a different league.
You get what you pay for....

MM

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
IMM

"G&M" wrote in message

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
There's nothing much else to do in Milton Keynes.... The best
views are in the rear view mirror.

You have never been to Milton Keynes.

Actually I have, which is how I know how apealling it is even to get
onto the M1.

There is a good go-kart track there. And I don't mean the roundabouts

:-)
Apart from that, I think Edinburgh wins hands down.

And sit in a traffic jam all day breathing in fumes. In Milton Keynes the
average speed around the grid is 60 mph. Jams are unheard of.

raden

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
IMM wrote:
How about that they look like cheap plastic.......

The cheapish laminates do look naffish. the expensive ones are
indistinguishable from wood.

They might well be to you, but that's not saying much. I can spot any at a
hundred yards...

I don't disagree with that, but don't see laminate as an attractive
alternative either.

They are. They are far better than your swirly patterned carpets.

And I thought shag pile would have been more your scene.

Yes, more forgiving when he falls over practising the tango in front of
the full length bedroom mirror
--
geoff
raden

In message , Andy Hall
writes
It's in a shortlist with Zoetermeer in Holland for this honour.

Is there a prison there?

Just an overly planned environment which is modern-day Lowryesque just
like MK.

There's a Soylent Green factory there as well.

Don't be clever - IMM doesn't understand such things
--
geoff
IMM

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

It's in a shortlist with Zoetermeer in Holland for this honour.

Is there a prison there?

Just an overly planned environment which
is modern-day Lowryesque just like MK.

Lowryesque? Lowry painted poorly planned and overcrowded Victorian streets,
in short, slums.

MK is not overplanned, it is well planned. All the old villages are still
intact and are the centre of new suburbs. The old woods are all still there
and the place is full of lakes, making it the greenest town I have ever been
to. It is very lively in the centre and a very young city. being an old
codger I suppose you wouldn't like that.

IMM

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Andy Hall
writes
It's in a shortlist with Zoetermeer in Holland for this honour.

Is there a prison there?

Just an overly planned environment which is modern-day Lowryesque just
like MK.

There's a Soylent Green factory there as well.

Don't be clever - IMM doesn't understand such things

Maxie, how do they plan it near the flesh dens of south east Asia? Did you
live in a wooden hut?