Mike Mitchell

Default 20 ways to loose money on your house...

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 12:51:01 +0100, Nick Brooks
wrote:

G&M wrote:
"Grunff" wrote in message

Huge wrote:

Ahh, you see, we have this miraculous machine called a "vacuum cleaner".

can strongly recommend them

Hmmm... do you have cats? Do they like mud?

Ah - you need a LOUD POWERFUL vacuum cleaner. One attempt to suck moggy up
and it never comes in the room again.

Not true IMHO. SWMBO's cats (5 plus 2 longers) are so used to the
sounds of DIY that you can start up a Large circular saw in the same
room and they don't even look up. But they don't like the sound of a
bike pump

Maybe they were interfered with as kittens...

MM
Mike Mitchell

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 08:11:37 +0100, "mich" wrote:

"Grunff" wrote in message
Huge wrote:

Ahh, you see, we have this miraculous machine called a "vacuum cleaner".

can strongly recommend them

Hmmm... do you have cats? Do they like mud?

Obviously people who dont know much about cats - or have odd cats!

Cats generally do not like mud. They prefer nice dry condiditons. Mud takes
a lot of licking off when you clean yourself!.

Kids and dogs on the other hand just love rolling in mud , in my experience.

Having said that, Carpets are my personal preference. I hate wood floors and
laminates. They look cheap and they are dangerous ( try walking through with
wet schoes on or socks ..... and falling flat on your wherewithall. It
aint funny)

First, what are you doing walking around indoors in wet shoes anyway?
And second, if you can't keep your balance in socks, try slippers! Or
buy non-slip socks. This is no excuse compared to the giant used
tampon which is effectively what is rolled out in people's sitting
rooms.

MM
Grunff

Mike Mitchell wrote:

Did you know that there are more bacteria in a well-trodden carpet
than outside in the street? I think carpets are disgustingly
unhygenic, especially if owners keep pets indoors. Yuk. We had dogs
when I was a lad and they would sometimes get itchy bums. Mum would
drag the spaniel outside, but only after it had succeeded in "wiping"
its bum across the carpet in a desperate attempt to relieve the
itching. Oh, I hear you say, why not wash the dogs' bottoms regularly?
Why not, indeed. Just the sort of thing I'd not like to be doing after
my breakfast, thanks all the same. Get shot of the dogs and get shot
of the carpet! It will be banned shortly, no doubt, once the
Government realises that domestic carpets are probably responsible for
MRSA.

I'm afraid you're way off on the hygene side. A constant, low level
exposure is much healthier than an ultra-clean environment.

As for MRSA and other superbugs, they are a direct result of very clean
environments. That just what evolution does - makes thinks to fill a
niche. Clean environments are a tough niche which requires tough organisms.

--
Grunff
G&M

"Mike Mitchell" wrote in message
Did you know that there are more bacteria in a well-trodden carpet

than outside in the street? I think carpets are disgustingly
unhygenic, especially if owners keep pets indoors.

Then shoot the dog. Animals belong outside in fields, garden, kennel or
barn. But never indoors.

G&M wrote:

"Mike Mitchell" wrote in message
Did you know that there are more bacteria in a well-trodden carpet

than outside in the street? I think carpets are disgustingly
unhygenic, especially if owners keep pets indoors.

Then shoot the dog. Animals belong outside in fields, garden, kennel or
barn. But never indoors.

What are the people doing indoors then?

Not to mention all those insects, spiders, and sundry even more
invisible animals.

--
Chris Green

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Mike Mitchell wrote:
This is no excuse compared to the giant used tampon which is
effectively what is rolled out in people's sitting rooms.

I'll not ask what your other half does around the house to warrant that
comment.

--
*Husbands should come with instructions

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
G&M

wrote in message ...
G&M wrote:

"Mike Mitchell" wrote in message
Did you know that there are more bacteria in a well-trodden carpet
than outside in the street? I think carpets are disgustingly
unhygenic, especially if owners keep pets indoors.

Then shoot the dog. Animals belong outside in fields, garden, kennel or
barn. But never indoors.

What are the people doing indoors then?

Keeping away from the other animals.

Not to mention all those insects, spiders, and sundry even more
invisible animals.

Nothing's perfect. But at least they won't be coming in on those
flea-bitten rabies carriers people call 'pets'.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
G&M wrote:
What are the people doing indoors then?

Keeping away from the other animals.

Not to mention all those insects, spiders, and sundry even more
invisible animals.

Nothing's perfect. But at least they won't be coming in on those
flea-bitten rabies carriers people call 'pets'.

But if you kept the animal indoors, it couldn't get either fleas or
rabies. Unless it catches them from you.

--
*The hardness of the butter is proportional to the softness of the bread *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
MBQ wrote:
Did you know your armpits most probably contain fecal bacteria? It's
*very* common, but probably never did anyone any harm. Are you going
to chop your arms off or just shave under them?

One of mine at the moment contains a wasp sting - I leant over the car
boot and didn't notice the wasp hiding there.

--
*A chicken crossing the road is poultry in motion.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
G&M

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
G&M wrote:
What are the people doing indoors then?

Keeping away from the other animals.

Not to mention all those insects, spiders, and sundry even more
invisible animals.

Nothing's perfect. But at least they won't be coming in on those
flea-bitten rabies carriers people call 'pets'.

But if you kept the animal indoors, it couldn't get either fleas or
rabies. Unless it catches them from you.

So it ****s on the carpet, thereby proving somebody else's point.

tony sayer

In article , Grunff
writes
Mike Mitchell wrote:

[...]

Quite, we had carpets and dogs, and yes our old spaniel was prone to
"tail dragging" and guess what, neither me or my sister were ever ill
and no allergies etc

As for MRSA and other superbugs, they are a direct result of very clean
environments. That just what evolution does - makes thinks to fill a
niche. Clean environments are a tough niche which requires tough organisms.

MRSA is a bit of an opportunistic invader preying on the weak or immune
damaged...
--
Tony Sayer

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
G&M wrote:
But if you kept the animal indoors, it couldn't get either fleas or
rabies. Unless it catches them from you.

So it ****s on the carpet, thereby proving somebody else's point.

There's no more reason for a 'standard' household pet to **** on the
carpet than there is for a human. Less, possibly, than with some, too,
given that pets don't usually get legless. Unless it's a snake.

--
*Where there's a will, I want to be in it.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Arthur

"Mike Mitchell" wrote in message
On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 22:17:52 +0000 (UTC), "Arthur"
wrote:

Hmm.

Parquet lovers!?
=
Lovers of floors made up from small rectangular blocks of timber arranged
into geometric pattern.

Fail to see why anyone would love them!

Offcuts, is what I see.

If you don't have the whole tree in your house, everything made of
wood is an offcut, surely? Hey, don't use wooden spatulas on the
nonstick pans! They be offcuts!

MM

I use a 12' length of 6" x 2" joist to turn my eggs over, squire.
And it ain't been planed.

Arthur.

Mike Mitchell

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 15:37:31 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Mike Mitchell wrote:
This is no excuse compared to the giant used tampon which is
effectively what is rolled out in people's sitting rooms.

I'll not ask what your other half does around the house to warrant that
comment.

No carpet!

MM
Mike Mitchell

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 10:40:14 +0100, Grunff wrote:

Mike Mitchell wrote:

[...]

You get the exposure from outdoors, not using antibacterial washing up
liquid, and avoiding the use of antibiotics whenever possible.

As for MRSA and other superbugs, they are a direct result of very clean
environments. That just what evolution does - makes thinks to fill a
niche. Clean environments are a tough niche which requires tough organisms.

Which, of course, is why we aim for ultra clean operating theatres and
sterilised instruments, whereas it doesn't matter if there's a bowl of
faeces left under a patient's bed...

MM

Mike Mitchell

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 14:15:54 +0100, "G&M"
wrote:

"Mike Mitchell" wrote in message
.. .
Did you know that there are more bacteria in a well-trodden carpet

than outside in the street? I think carpets are disgustingly
unhygenic, especially if owners keep pets indoors.

Then shoot the dog. Animals belong outside in fields, garden, kennel or
barn. But never indoors.

I agree. Except for cats.

MM
Mike Mitchell

On 30 Jul 2004 08:27:14 -0700, (MBQ) wrote:

Mike Mitchell wrote in message . ..
On 27 Jul 2004 16:09:13 GMT,
(Huge) wrote:

Grunff writes:
Huge wrote:

Can't be. We don't like it, either.

Ahem... Well, we do. We installed our first lot in our first house about
7 - 8 years ago, when it was still a pretty new thing. We loved having a
nice wipe-clean surface all over the floor, with no gaps in it. Back
then, Pergo was the only decent make around.

We've only done one room in laminate in this house, and that's the TV
room/library. We like it lots. It's nice. ;-)

Enjoy.

The ground floor of our house is parquet. We covered the cold,
uncomfortable, noisy, dusty stuff up with carpet. We like it lots. It's
nice. ;-)

Did you know that there are more bacteria in a well-trodden carpet
than outside in the street? I think carpets are disgustingly
unhygenic, especially if owners keep pets indoors. Yuk. We had dogs
when I was a lad and they would sometimes get itchy bums. Mum would
drag the spaniel outside, but only after it had succeeded in "wiping"
its bum across the carpet in a desperate attempt to relieve the
itching. Oh, I hear you say, why not wash the dogs' bottoms regularly?
Why not, indeed. Just the sort of thing I'd not like to be doing after
my breakfast, thanks all the same. Get shot of the dogs and get shot
of the carpet! It will be banned shortly, no doubt, once the
Government realises that domestic carpets are probably responsible for
MRSA.

MM

What a stupid thing to say (I don't see any smileys, so assume you are
serious).

Deadly, yes.

When did you ever hear of anyone getting an infection from a carpet?
Some people today have an unhealthy obsession with cleanliness.

Ten per cent of the weight of a carpet after a few years is made up of
particles of dead skin and similar detritus. If you think this is
healthy in a country where the incidence of childhood asthma has
skyrocketed, then think again.

Did you know your armpits most probably contain fecal bacteria? It's
*very* common, but probably never did anyone any harm. Are you going
to chop your arms off or just shave under them?

Don't try to turn the argument back on to me or my armpit! That's just
a cheap shot. Concentrate on the dirtiest thing in your house - if you
have carpets, that is. The loo bowl has less bacteria.

MM
Mike Mitchell

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 18:04:30 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
MBQ wrote:
Did you know your armpits most probably contain fecal bacteria? It's
*very* common, but probably never did anyone any harm. Are you going
to chop your arms off or just shave under them?

One of mine at the moment contains a wasp sting - I leant over the car
boot and didn't notice the wasp hiding there.

You're lucky it wasn't a bee. Bee stings are far more painful. Imagine
what else might have been hiding in other parts of the world. Funnel
webs in Australia, for example. We are relatively safe in Britain,
really.

MM
Mike Mitchell

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 19:29:07 +0000 (UTC), "Arthur"
wrote:

"Mike Mitchell" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 22:17:52 +0000 (UTC), "Arthur"
wrote:

Hmm.

Parquet lovers!?
=
Lovers of floors made up from small rectangular blocks of timber arranged
into geometric pattern.

Fail to see why anyone would love them!

Offcuts, is what I see.

If you don't have the whole tree in your house, everything made of
wood is an offcut, surely? Hey, don't use wooden spatulas on the
nonstick pans! They be offcuts!

MM

I use a 12' length of 6" x 2" joist to turn my eggs over, squire.
And it ain't been planed.

What do you do with the ostrich when you go on holiday?

MM
Arthur

wrote:

"Mike Mitchell" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 22:17:52 +0000 (UTC), "Arthur"
wrote:

Hmm.

Parquet lovers!?
=
Lovers of floors made up from small rectangular blocks of timber

arranged
into geometric pattern.

Fail to see why anyone would love them!

Offcuts, is what I see.

If you don't have the whole tree in your house, everything made of
wood is an offcut, surely? Hey, don't use wooden spatulas on the
nonstick pans! They be offcuts!

MM

I use a 12' length of 6" x 2" joist to turn my eggs over, squire.
And it ain't been planed.

What do you do with the ostrich when you go on holiday?

MM

I've trained it to sharpen my power saw blades with its beak.

Arthur

Grunff

Huge wrote:

As for MRSA and other superbugs, they are a direct result of very clean
environments.

Err, no. MRSA is a result of the abuse of antibiotics.

Kind of what I meant, in that an over-sterile environment will
inevitably produce organisms capable of thriving in it. One way of
achieving this over-sterile environment is the use of antibiotics. But
I'm no biologist...

--
Grunff
Owain

"Mike Mitchell" wrote
| We had dogs when I was a lad and they would sometimes
| get itchy bums. Mum would drag the spaniel outside,
| but only after it had succeeded in "wiping" its bum
| across the carpet in a desperate attempt to relieve the
| itching.

Readers or viewers of James Herriot may recognise the symptoms of flop-bott,
or compacted anal glands.

| Oh, I hear you say, why not wash the dogs' bottoms
| regularly? Why not, indeed. Just the sort of
| thing I'd not like to be doing after my breakfast,
| thanks all the same.

No worse than 'picking up' when out walkies, and realising the disadvantage
of those ventilation holes punched in carrier bags to stop babies
suffocating.

Owain

Grunff

Arthur wrote:

What do you do with the ostrich when you go on holiday?

MM

I've trained it to sharpen my power saw blades with its beak.

Arthur

Nonsense - you can't sharpen jigsaw/sabre saw blades.

--
Grunff
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Grunff wrote:
Err, no. MRSA is a result of the abuse of antibiotics.

Kind of what I meant, in that an over-sterile environment will
inevitably produce organisms capable of thriving in it. One way of
achieving this over-sterile environment is the use of antibiotics. But
I'm no biologist...

Can't see how antibiotics produce a sterile environment - they are purely
a treatment for when you catch something.

--
*Can vegetarians eat animal crackers?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

John Rumm

Mike Mitchell wrote:

Ten per cent of the weight of a carpet after a few years is made up of
particles of dead skin and similar detritus. If you think this is
healthy in a country where the incidence of childhood asthma has
skyrocketed, then think again.

There was/is quite allot of research being done into why the developed
world as a whole is seeing incidents of autoimmune diseases like asthma
grow at such an alarming rate.

One hypothesis they tested, was to see if poor air quality and airbourn
polution could be a causational factor. The anticipation being that
since air quality exacerbates the problem for people with the condition,
it may also be a trigger.

To investigate this they looked for the place with the lowest air
quality they could find, and settled on an indistrialised region of
Poland. Apparently the industry there had made few if any of the
advances in emmisions reduction that most industrialised countries have
done since the war.

What they found was supprising, far from having a worse asthema probelem
as was expected, they found that asthema (and many other of the
conditions that are prevalent here like ecema, sarcoid infection etc)
were classed as rare there. The conclusion they formed was what is known
as the "dirt hypothesis". i.e. the hostile environment that the children
grow up in forces the immune system into action from an early age to
protect the body. This results in a strong immune response, with very
little opportunity for any auto immune antibodies to form. In many cases
where we grow up in a "cleaner" environment there is much less to
challenge the immune response. The result would seem to be more cases of
the immune system, starting to attack the very thing it is supposed to
protect.

--
Cheers,

John.

raden

In message , Mike Mitchell
writes

Grunff writes:
Huge wrote:

Can't be. We don't like it, either.

Ahem... Well, we do. We installed our first lot in our first house about
7 - 8 years ago, when it was still a pretty new thing. We loved having a
nice wipe-clean surface all over the floor, with no gaps in it. Back
then, Pergo was the only decent make around.

We've only done one room in laminate in this house, and that's the TV
room/library. We like it lots. It's nice. ;-)

Enjoy.

The ground floor of our house is parquet. We covered the cold,
uncomfortable, noisy, dusty stuff up with carpet. We like it lots. It's
nice. ;-)

Did you know that there are more bacteria in a well-trodden carpet
than outside in the street? I think carpets are disgustingly
unhygenic,

Lucky you weren't born a couple of hundred years ago, isn't it

especially if owners keep pets indoors. Yuk. We had dogs
when I was a lad and they would sometimes get itchy bums. Mum would
drag the spaniel outside, but only after it had succeeded in "wiping"
its bum across the carpet in a desperate attempt to relieve the
itching. Oh, I hear you say, why not wash the dogs' bottoms regularly?

Sounds more like it needed some worming pills

Why not, indeed. Just the sort of thing I'd not like to be doing after
my breakfast, thanks all the same. Get shot of the dogs and get shot
of the carpet! It will be banned shortly, no doubt, once the
Government realises that domestic carpets are probably responsible for
MRSA.

MM

--
geoff

raden

In message , Mike Mitchell
writes
On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 18:04:30 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
MBQ wrote:
Did you know your armpits most probably contain fecal bacteria? It's
*very* common, but probably never did anyone any harm. Are you going
to chop your arms off or just shave under them?

One of mine at the moment contains a wasp sting - I leant over the car
boot and didn't notice the wasp hiding there.

You're lucky it wasn't a bee. Bee stings are far more painful. Imagine
what else might have been hiding in other parts of the world. Funnel
webs in Australia, for example. We are relatively safe in Britain,
really.

Lock your doors and don't go out

How many people die from being bitten on the bum by a funnel web ?
hardly any

diseases such as malaria and cholera, and now HIV kill far more people
than all the spiders, snakes and other slithery beasts put together

--
geoff
raden

In message , Mike Mitchell
writes
Get shot of the dogs and get shot
of the carpet! It will be banned shortly, no doubt, once the
Government realises that domestic carpets are probably responsible for
MRSA.

MM

What a stupid thing to say (I don't see any smileys, so assume you are
serious).

Deadly, yes.

/me looks around, looks down at the carpet, checks in the mirror and
concludes, against all odds ... he's not dead yet

When did you ever hear of anyone getting an infection from a carpet?
Some people today have an unhealthy obsession with cleanliness.

Ten per cent of the weight of a carpet after a few years is made up of
particles of dead skin and similar detritus. If you think this is
healthy in a country where the incidence of childhood asthma has
skyrocketed, then think again.

I really don't think it's as much as a problem as you seem to be trying
to blow it out of all proportions into

I firmly believe that a lot of these problems are due to trying to
shield babbies from contact with "dirty stuff". So a lot of kids today
have grown up with an immune system which has never had to fight the
good fight. When an infection comes along, the immune system just hasn't
had enough exercise to flex it's muscles and keels over

If you want to look after your kids, let them eat a few worms, slide
around on the carpet with the dog and drink from a few puddles.

Don't let them have a bath more than once a year, let them bugs survive
(joke btw)

Did you know your armpits most probably contain fecal bacteria? It's
*very* common, but probably never did anyone any harm. Are you going
to chop your arms off or just shave under them?

Don't try to turn the argument back on to me or my armpit! That's just
a cheap shot. Concentrate on the dirtiest thing in your house - if you
have carpets, that is. The loo bowl has less bacteria.

The most biologically dirty thing in your house is you. You house far
more potentially dangerous bacteria than your carpets could.

As I see it you only have one option

--
geoff
raden

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
raden wrote:
Called a Prince Albert or more commonly just PA. I sometimes work with a
chap who's said to have one. He's also got multiple ear rings.

We call him scrapyard.

Sounds like that might be a dangerous place for him to work

Yup. One of those magnet crane thingies lifting him up by the toger.
Suppose that's stretching things a bit far.

Dunno - he might become a porno super star

My mate billy had a 10 foot ... you know the rest
--
geoff
Mike Tomlinson

In article , raden
writes

"Property Experts" ????

Lucky I wasn't drinking coffee at the time, the monitor survives another
day

Mind you, going by the web site (I missed the prog), they seem to have
turned a chintzy suburban nightmare into something a bit smarter and
more up to date.

--
A. Top posters.

Mike Tomlinson

In article , Tony Bryer
writes

Any colour except white. My dark brown bath and basin will have to go
before I move.

I saw a house in Formby with a chocolate bathroom suite and dark blue
walls and ceiling. It was like walking into the Black Hole of Calcutta,
but the owner thought it was the biz.

--
A. Top posters.

Mike Mitchell

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 02:52:24 GMT, raden wrote:

The most biologically dirty thing in your house is you. You house far
more potentially dangerous bacteria than your carpets could.

Yes, but *our* bacteria are not *foreign* bacteria, unlike those in
the carpet, which may be ours, but probably are from many other
humans, animals, insects and plant matter as well. Of course *we* are
fighting all the time to keep our own bacteria under control, and in
fact a heck of the lot of bacteria in our gut is extremely necessary
for good health. But EColi 157 from a cowpat, for example, isn't
healthy.

Sorry, I meant to write, "...EColi 157 from a CARPET...." My mind was
wandering and I was thinking of my Mum's cow.

MM