P Lavers

Default Loft conversion in 3 story house

Anyone know what differences there are in the building regulations
applicable to loft conversions between those for an existing 2 story
house (with which I am familiar) as apposed to an existing 3 story
house? In particular fire regulations with respect to the stairwell
and doors leading off it. I have a house with a basement kitchen and
am considering a loft conversion which would make the house 4 floors
in all.
Peter Crosland

Go and talk to your local Council building control and planners. You may
well need permission from both depending on all sorts of variables.

Mike Taylor

It may vary from area to area but the only way to find out is check. I am
almost certain that if you have a dwelling that is more than 2 storeys high
with living accomodation then a fire proofed escape way has to be provided.
This obviously affects most people that do loft conversions except those
with bungalows. You already having 3 floors may already know this but of
course if your house was built/converted prior to these regulations it may
not have affected you. If you go ahead yo may be required to also undertake
work to your existing property to comply with all fire regulations

Hugo Nebula

On 22 Mar 2004 06:14:22 -0800, a particular chimpanzee named
(P Lavers) randomly hit the keyboard and
produced:

Anyone know what differences there are in the building regulations
applicable to loft conversions between those for an existing 2 story
house (with which I am familiar) as apposed to an existing 3 story
house? In particular fire regulations with respect to the stairwell
and doors leading off it. I have a house with a basement kitchen and
am considering a loft conversion which would make the house 4 floors
in all.

To some extent it depends on the height of the top floor above the
lowest ground level.

If the basement is a true basement (not a lower ground floor with a
difference in levels between the front and the back) then it would
still be counted as an existing two storey house. There is nothing
stated in AD 'B', but if the basement is accessed from the hall, then
the existing door could be retained if fitted with a self closer.

If the top floor is more than 7.5m above the lowest ground level, then
it will be treated as though it is a new four storey dwelling. An
alternative escape (a fixed stair or other escape route, not just an
opening window) will be required from the third floor, and the
existing stair will need to be enclosed in 30 mins fire resistance and
fire doors from top to bottom. Speak to your Building Control
section. They may be prepared to accept other measures instead of an
alternative stair from the top floor such as a higher standard of
detection or a sprinkler system.
--
Hugo Nebula
"The fact that no-one on the internet wants a piece of this
Chris O

"Rick Dipper" wrote in message
On 22 Mar 2004 06:14:22 -0800, (P Lavers) wrote:
Anyone know what differences there are in the building regulations
applicable to loft conversions between those for an existing 2 story
house (with which I am familiar) as apposed to an existing 3 story
house? In particular fire regulations with respect to the stairwell
and doors leading off it. I have a house with a basement kitchen and
am considering a loft conversion which would make the house 4 floors
in all.

You will need 30 minuite fire doors, and 30 minuite fire proof walls on

the stair
well. The exact rule is more precise than this, so you don't need it to

bathrooms
for example. The exact rule applies to ALL doors in your house - wardrobe

doors for
example. You also need door closers - which are not compatable with kids

fingers.
Also you need smoke alarms etc ......

I replaced all my own doors and frames - no problems there. By

plasterboard walls,
I ripped off one surface (fitted computer cables) and applied 30 min

fireboard
before re-plastering. The door closers came off as soon as the building

regs man
had left, and thanks to that my kids still have fingers .......

Rick

My experience was similar. The house has a semi-basement level and 2 further
floors. Needed planning to approve a dormer but other than that it was
building control requiring fire doors, door closers and a further fire door
to the kitchen which had been "open plan". The builder seemed to have a
stock of door closers which were re-cycled for each job to cover this
eventuality!

Gel

Dependent on layout besides hard wired/interconnected smoke alarms you
may also be required to fit Heat Alarms too in Kitchen; this is main
source of Residential Fires, but area unsuitable for smoke alarms.

See www.smoke-alarms.co.uk
for guidance. Links page lets you download copy of Bldg Regs, or Tec
Standard for those in Scotland.

"Chris O" wrote in message ...
[...]

Extending CH to loft conversion Ben Freeman UK diy 12 March 11th 04 08:22 PM
hip roof loft conversion Chris Allmark UK diy 15 March 2nd 04 06:09 PM
loft conversion Kerry Hoskin UK diy 5 January 19th 04 08:15 PM
Adding CH to new loft - advice please [email protected] UK diy 19 January 7th 04 08:58 AM
Loft Conversion, Steel Trimmer end bearing support Kevin Walton UK diy 5 November 22nd 03 08:47 AM