Rick Dipper

Default Loft conversion in 3 story house

On 22 Mar 2004 06:14:22 -0800, (P Lavers) wrote:
Anyone know what differences there are in the building regulations
applicable to loft conversions between those for an existing 2 story
house (with which I am familiar) as apposed to an existing 3 story
house? In particular fire regulations with respect to the stairwell
and doors leading off it. I have a house with a basement kitchen and
am considering a loft conversion which would make the house 4 floors
in all.

You will need 30 minuite fire doors, and 30 minuite fire proof walls on the stair
well. The exact rule is more precise than this, so you don't need it to bathrooms
for example. The exact rule applies to ALL doors in your house - wardrobe doors for
example. You also need door closers - which are not compatable with kids fingers.
Also you need smoke alarms etc ......

I replaced all my own doors and frames - no problems there. By plasterboard walls,
I ripped off one surface (fitted computer cables) and applied 30 min fireboard
before re-plastering. The door closers came off as soon as the building regs man
had left, and thanks to that my kids still have fingers .......

Rick