Gel

Default Loft conversion in 3 story house

Dependent on layout besides hard wired/interconnected smoke alarms you
may also be required to fit Heat Alarms too in Kitchen; this is main
source of Residential Fires, but area unsuitable for smoke alarms.

See www.smoke-alarms.co.uk
for guidance. Links page lets you download copy of Bldg Regs, or Tec
Standard for those in Scotland.

"Chris O" wrote in message ...
"Rick Dipper" wrote in message
On 22 Mar 2004 06:14:22 -0800, (P Lavers) wrote:
Anyone know what differences there are in the building regulations
applicable to loft conversions between those for an existing 2 story
house (with which I am familiar) as apposed to an existing 3 story
house? In particular fire regulations with respect to the stairwell
and doors leading off it. I have a house with a basement kitchen and
am considering a loft conversion which would make the house 4 floors
in all.

You will need 30 minuite fire doors, and 30 minuite fire proof walls on

the stair
well. The exact rule is more precise than this, so you don't need it to

bathrooms
for example. The exact rule applies to ALL doors in your house - wardrobe

doors for
example. You also need door closers - which are not compatable with kids

fingers.
Also you need smoke alarms etc ......

I replaced all my own doors and frames - no problems there. By

plasterboard walls,
I ripped off one surface (fitted computer cables) and applied 30 min

fireboard
before re-plastering. The door closers came off as soon as the building

regs man
had left, and thanks to that my kids still have fingers .......

Rick

My experience was similar. The house has a semi-basement level and 2 further
floors. Needed planning to approve a dormer but other than that it was
building control requiring fire doors, door closers and a further fire door
to the kitchen which had been "open plan". The builder seemed to have a
stock of door closers which were re-cycled for each job to cover this
eventuality!