Mike Mitchell

Default 20 ways to loose money on your house...

On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 22:40:45 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Mike Mitchell wrote:
I'd rather have my toenails extracted by old pliers than have that
rubbish in my house. If I wanted something to look like wood, I'd use
wood which will.

A lot of people like it, though. Do you think it's infra dig to dislike
it so?

I'm not a blind follower of fashion, and laminate flooring is simply a
fashion - and a cheap and nasty one at that. With many disadvantages apart
from looking like what it is - a sham.

So it's a sham, is it? You could say exactly the same about trompe
l'oeil, but I don't expect many would agree with you.

So much for fashion! Some of my laminate flooring dates from the
mid-eighties when Ikea sold it. In any case, how else would you depict
a trend for some design or other if not fashion? To decry fashion so
pejoratively is to paint the world grey and never have any change at
all. All the signs are that laminate flooring is here to stay
(metaphorically and actually, since it is very hard-wearing) and that
carpets are increasingly recognised for the harbours of dirt and
disease they are. Few high street stores have carpet on their floors
instead of tiles, vinyl, laminate or real wood. Fewer and fewer people
prefer carpet, which is why the carpet industry is desperate to make
us buy more of it.

MM
Mike Mitchell

On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 08:49:39 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Mike Mitchell wrote:

I'd rather have my toenails extracted by old pliers than have that
rubbish in my house. If I wanted something to look like wood, I'd use
wood which will.

A lot of people like it, though. Do you think it's infra dig to dislike
it so?

I'm not a blind follower of fashion, and laminate flooring is simply a
fashion - and a cheap and nasty one at that. With many disadvantages apart
from looking like what it is - a sham.

Dunno. Ive got real wood laminate down, and agreed it looks a bit too
'perfect' but it is ageing down nicely. Its not bad and I was chary of
using real wood planks with underfloor.

However if I ever get stinking rich again, I'll parquet the whole thing
with oak blocks I think.

Just make sure it doesn't look like it might be a new fashion!

MM
Mike Mitchell

On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 20:30:24 +0100, "G&M"
wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Mike Mitchell wrote:
If you haven't yet bought the carpets, think again while there's still
time! At least consider beautiful ceramic tiled floors like you
typically get on the continent throughout the house or apartment.

Great. I take it you never drop anything? And have incredible balance when
on bare feet? And have no suspended wood floors?

And don't live in a flat above some poor suffering soul. Fortunately
several councils are now taking action to enforce carpeting even in private
flats.

Cite?

MM
IMM

"Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)" wrote in message
. ..
In article , Mike Mitchell
wrote:

If you haven't yet bought the carpets, think again while there's still
time! At least consider beautiful ceramic tiled floors like you
typically get on the continent

Lovely idea if you live on the continent where it is warm underfoot. Not

in
the UK though.

In a new house the solid floors has insulation under. No problem there. In
an old house with wood floors, install insulation under the floors. This
will also reduce heating bills substantially too.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Mike Mitchell wrote:
So it's a sham, is it? You could say exactly the same about trompe
l'oeil, but I don't expect many would agree with you.

Well, I wouldn't say the same about trompe l'oeil, because that's a
decorative feature which serves no other purpose. Laminate flooring is a
way of imitating a real wood floor rather badly.

So much for fashion! Some of my laminate flooring dates from the
mid-eighties when Ikea sold it. In any case, how else would you depict
a trend for some design or other if not fashion? To decry fashion so
pejoratively is to paint the world grey and never have any change at
all.

I said I wasn't a *blind* follower of fashion. There's a difference.

All the signs are that laminate flooring is here to stay
(metaphorically and actually, since it is very hard-wearing) and that
carpets are increasingly recognised for the harbours of dirt and
disease they are.

It's also easy to DIY lay - badly - while few of those who do would
attempt to fit a carpet themselves.

Few high street stores have carpet on their floors
instead of tiles, vinyl, laminate or real wood.

I like real wood floors - in their place. But I'd not place most high
street shop designs at the cutting edge of good design...

Fewer and fewer people prefer carpet, which is why the carpet industry
is desperate to make us buy more of it.

I try not to be influence by what people want me to buy too. But decide
what best suits my needs.

FWIW, I've yet to see any laminate floor where you can't somewhere see the
joins. Of course you see 'joins' in real wood flooring, but they're real
joins...

--
*Always drink upstream from the herd *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
IMM wrote:
I'm not a blind follower of fashion, and laminate flooring is simply
a fashion - and a cheap and nasty one at that. With many
disadvantages apart from looking like what it is - a sham.

What tripe!

Thanks for confirming my views are correct. If you disagree, they must be.

--
*Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
timegoesby

Mike Mitchell wrote:

I'd rather have my toenails extracted by old pliers than have that
rubbish in my house. If I wanted something to look like wood, I'd use
wood which will.

A lot of people like it, though. Do you think it's infra dig to dislike
it so?

I'm not a blind follower of fashion, and laminate flooring is simply a
fashion - and a cheap and nasty one at that. With many disadvantages apart
from looking like what it is - a sham.

I don't see any disadvaantages to laminates. The biggest sham is the
way unhealthy carpets were pushed onto us in the 1960s. I read
somewhere that asthma cases rose in that time and it was not
coincidence. Laminate is now cheaper than carpet. It is so cheap you
can replace it every 5 years, as people did with carpets because they
were so stained. The reality is that laminate will outlast carpet by
about 4 to 5 times. Laminate is here to stay for the benefit to us
all.

Carpets are good for upstairs to stop footstep noises, that's all.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
timegoesby wrote:
I'm not a blind follower of fashion, and laminate flooring is simply a
fashion - and a cheap and nasty one at that. With many disadvantages
apart from looking like what it is - a sham.

I don't see any disadvaantages to laminates.

They look crappy. A poor imitation of a real wood floor. That's all.

The biggest sham is the
way unhealthy carpets were pushed onto us in the 1960s.

Carpets have been around for rather longer than that...

Or perhaps you don't think laminate flooring is pushed on us? Because it
certainly is - as an excellent profit earner.

I read somewhere that asthma cases rose in that time and it was not
coincidence.

There are as many theories about the increase in asthma as there are
sufferers.

Laminate is now cheaper than carpet.

It always was than a decent carpet. Which is why people buy it - purely
on cost. If they really wanted the look done properly, they'd use a real
hardwood floor.

It is so cheap you can
replace it every 5 years, as people did with carpets because they were
so stained.

Err, haven't you heard of cleaning a carpet? I've just done the hall one
which is rather older than 5 years and it's come up like new.

The reality is that laminate will outlast carpet by about 4
to 5 times.

Are you related to IMM? He's the one who produces figures from the air
like they are facts. Laminate flooring hasn't been around for long enough
to tell. A good quality carpet in the heaviest of domestic environments
can last 20 years plus. I very much doubt the chipboard or MDF base of
laminates will have a 100 year life, somehow.

Laminate is here to stay for the benefit to us all.

Us implies everyone. Not me, thanks. I've got real hardwood floors where
they are appropriate. And they do last.

--
*i souport publik edekashun.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
PeterMcC

Dave Plowman (News) wrote in

In article ,
timegoesby wrote:
I'm not a blind follower of fashion, and laminate flooring is
simply a fashion - and a cheap and nasty one at that. With many
disadvantages apart from looking like what it is - a sham.

I don't see any disadvaantages to laminates.

They look crappy. A poor imitation of a real wood floor. That's all.

FWIW I've just taken out a laminate floor - a photo of a real floor glued to
some chipboard - and replaced it with hardwood. A load of effort 'cos I did
it properly, removed/refitted skirtings, shaved bottoms of doors, messed
about with kitchen units to accommodate thicker floor, etc... and worth
every penny/drop of sweat.

If it was worth all that to change it, it would be, IMHO, a no-brainer to
choose between laminate/hardwood at the outset.

--
PeterMcC
inappropriate or offensive in any way,

Ian Stirling

Owain wrote:
"Mike Mitchell" wrote
| We had dogs when I was a lad and they would sometimes
| get itchy bums. Mum would drag the spaniel outside,
| but only after it had succeeded in "wiping" its bum
| across the carpet in a desperate attempt to relieve the
| itching.

Readers or viewers of James Herriot may recognise the symptoms of flop-bott,
or compacted anal glands.

| Oh, I hear you say, why not wash the dogs' bottoms
| regularly? Why not, indeed. Just the sort of
| thing I'd not like to be doing after my breakfast,
| thanks all the same.

No worse than 'picking up' when out walkies, and realising the disadvantage
of those ventilation holes punched in carrier bags to stop babies
suffocating.

I have some doubt that they would actually do anything, there are far
too few holes for it to be more than a PR effort IMO.

I have not however conducted any statistically significant tests with holed
and unholed bags.

G&M

And how often did you get a 'tummy upset' from eating a soft boiled egg.

None whatsoever. We were all healthy as f**k. And none of my mates or
their families ever "went down" with anything, either. I think it's
just scaremongering to suggest that you eat a soft-boild egg, you get
food poisoning! Ridiculous idea!

It used to be very very common with free range eggs.

Think how many soft-boiled eggs have
been eaten over the past few decades

Those have ben from factory farmed chickens mainly fed on antibiotics.
No salmonella in those mostly.

google 'Edwina Currie' and see why she had to resgnfor telling the truth.

and how disappearingly small the
number of infections has been. I expect those who did become infected
were susceptible anyway. I prefer to see the healthy side of growing
up when we and many others lived pretty much off the land and our
fresh eggs were maybe just a few minutes old, the chickens having had
freedom to roam outside their coops.

So do I. Taste much better, BUT chicken **** and chicken eggs grown that
way have high incidences of slamonlella bacteria.

Fine if you totally cok the egg, but occasionally dangerous and
unplaeasnt f you e.g. make mayonnaise out of raw egg yolk.

We all used to be moreorless immune to this bacteria. It's only after two
generations of spoless cleanliness that it's become such a problem as it's
had to mutate to survive.

G&M

"Mike Mitchell" wrote in message
On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 08:43:48 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

google 'Edwina Currie' and see why she had to resgnfor telling the truth.

She had to resign because no one liked her - except John Major.

Only for the one purpose that kept her mouth quiet I expect.

I suppose in that sense, eggs can be deadly for some. Oh, and what is
the status of free range eggs today?

Available from many farms - just drive past and look for the signs.

Or is the countryside on which
chickens range freely being sprayed with antibiotics?

Nope

G&M

"Mike Mitchell" wrote in message
What has privatisation got to do with MRSA. MRSA is a problem in most
countries, whether they have mostly state provision like France or

Sweden,
or mostly private like the US. It is caused by the fact that hospitals

use
antibiotics to cure people, but a few bacteria mutate into stronger

strains
that are resistant to those antibiotics. That's pure evolution that

Darwin
would recognise.

But is MRSA such a problem in those other countries as it is here in
Britain? Or could it be that those other countries actually do
something to confront the infection rather than just wring hands and
talk about it, as our politicians and managers are wont to do?

There was a table published two weeks ago. Can't find it at present but I
seem to recall Sweden and Germany were better, we were in the middle, but
France and Italy were worse. I expect think you will find people there on
xxx.diy (or whatever) are having this same discussion in
French/German/whatever.

I maintain that MRSA has become far more of a problem in Britain since
privatisation opened the way to lackadaisical policing of contracts by
NHS management.

Sorry but that's nonsense. I realise why you think that, and I totally
agree that improving cleaning is the way to solve the problem, but years ago
MRSA was just not recognised and there were probably thousands of people
dying of it undiagnosed. It is becoming a huge problem worldwide now
because we have run out of antibiotics to fix the problem. Private and
public health services have all got to raise their game.

G&M

Mike Mitchell wrote:
If you haven't yet bought the carpets, think again while there's

still
time! At least consider beautiful ceramic tiled floors like you
typically get on the continent throughout the house or apartment.

Great. I take it you never drop anything? And have incredible balance

when
on bare feet? And have no suspended wood floors?

And don't live in a flat above some poor suffering soul. Fortunately
several councils are now taking action to enforce carpeting even in

private
flats.

Cite?

Edinburgh issued proceedings on somebody three weeks ago. Milton Keynes has
a large case file pending the outcome. I expect many other councils are
also waiting on this one.

Mike Mitchell

On Tue, 3 Aug 2004 18:43:13 +0100, "G&M"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

google 'Edwina Currie' and see why she had to resgnfor telling the truth.

She had to resign because no one liked her - except John Major.

Only for the one purpose that kept her mouth quiet I expect.

That's about as subtle as a Tom & Jerry cartoon!

I suppose in that sense, eggs can be deadly for some. Oh, and what is
the status of free range eggs today?

Available from many farms - just drive past and look for the signs.

Hopefully, I'll be keeping one or two laying hens when I move further
into the sticks.

Or is the countryside on which
chickens range freely being sprayed with antibiotics?

Nope

Eggszactly! Honestly, some people trying to convince me free range is
bad!

MM

Mike Mitchell

Mike Mitchell wrote:
If you haven't yet bought the carpets, think again while there's

still
time! At least consider beautiful ceramic tiled floors like you
typically get on the continent throughout the house or apartment.

Great. I take it you never drop anything? And have incredible balance

when
on bare feet? And have no suspended wood floors?

And don't live in a flat above some poor suffering soul. Fortunately
several councils are now taking action to enforce carpeting even in

private
flats.

Cite?

Edinburgh issued proceedings on somebody three weeks ago. Milton Keynes has
a large case file pending the outcome. I expect many other councils are
also waiting on this one.

And I expect they will all be defeated! The idea that the *council*
can dictate what an owner has to fit on his or her floor is risible.
How about sound-proofing the walls, or force-fitting net curtains in
case the neighbours can look in and be embarrassed? Someone should
take these councils by the metaphorical scruff of the neck, then beat
their heads against a wall till their ears bleed.

MM
Andy Hall

On Tue, 3 Aug 2004 09:31:15 +0100, "Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)"
wrote:

In article , Mike Mitchell
wrote:

If you haven't yet bought the carpets, think again while there's still
time! At least consider beautiful ceramic tiled floors like you
typically get on the continent

Lovely idea if you live on the continent where it is warm underfoot. Not in
the UK though.

If the floor is insulated below the screed it doesn't feel cold under
foot at all....

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Mike Mitchell

On 03 Aug 2004 17:05:51 GMT, Ian Stirling
wrote:

Owain wrote:
"Mike Mitchell" wrote
| We had dogs when I was a lad and they would sometimes
| get itchy bums. Mum would drag the spaniel outside,
| but only after it had succeeded in "wiping" its bum
| across the carpet in a desperate attempt to relieve the
| itching.

Readers or viewers of James Herriot may recognise the symptoms of flop-bott,
or compacted anal glands.

| Oh, I hear you say, why not wash the dogs' bottoms
| regularly? Why not, indeed. Just the sort of
| thing I'd not like to be doing after my breakfast,
| thanks all the same.

No worse than 'picking up' when out walkies, and realising the disadvantage
of those ventilation holes punched in carrier bags to stop babies
suffocating.

I have some doubt that they would actually do anything, there are far
too few holes for it to be more than a PR effort IMO.

I have not however conducted any statistically significant tests with holed
and unholed bags.

Unholed bags have been used in the past by people seeking sexual
oblivion. Just thought I'd mention it.

MM
G&M

Mike Mitchell wrote:
[...]

Edinburgh has a long history of winning cases against private owners in the
tenement flats on a variety of issues.

Many years ago a friend who had stretched himself to buy a flat in a run
down area was forced to get a 50% hike on his mortgage (at an astronomical
rate - 15% I seem to recall), to cover the council's bill for renovating his
tenement.

Since then the noise nuisance act has actually strengthened their hand
regarding carpets as increasing annoying noise is now a criminal act, not
just a civil one.

G&M

"Mike Mitchell" wrote in message
google 'Edwina Currie' and see why she had to resgnfor telling the

truth.

She had to resign because no one liked her - except John Major.

Only for the one purpose that kept her mouth quiet I expect.

That's about as subtle as a Tom & Jerry cartoon!

Well it's better than what Gordon Ramsay threatened to do :-)

Available from many farms - just drive past and look for the signs.

Hopefully, I'll be keeping one or two laying hens when I move further
into the sticks.

Good on you. But please follow rule #1 of proper farmers and don't bring
disease into the area. Either buy locally or get incomers quaranteened for
a while.

Or is the countryside on which
chickens range freely being sprayed with antibiotics?

Nope

Eggszactly! Honestly, some people trying to convince me free range is bad!

If they are YOUR free range chickens, you've already picked up and given
yourself immunity to all their little bugs. Just as with little humans, the
odd bacteria is not a cause for concern.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Mike Mitchell wrote:
And I expect they will all be defeated! The idea that the *council*
can dictate what an owner has to fit on his or her floor is risible.
How about sound-proofing the walls, or force-fitting net curtains in
case the neighbours can look in and be embarrassed? Someone should
take these councils by the metaphorical scruff of the neck, then beat
their heads against a wall till their ears bleed.

So you'd be perfectly happy to hear people clumping around above you if
you lived in a flat?

--
*Don't use no double negatives *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

The Natural Philosopher

wrote:

google 'Edwina Currie' and see why she had to resgnfor telling the truth.

She had to resign because no one liked her - except John Major. I
suppose in that sense, eggs can be deadly for some. Oh, and what is
the status of free range eggs today? Or is the countryside on which
chickens range freely being sprayed with antibiotics?

They are as Edwina said, fairly loaded with salmonella. Except when the
chickens are given regular antibiotics.

Chickens eat **** and dirt off the ground. And worms, and beetles, and
bits of soil with every bacterium known to man clinging to them.

They then **** on their eggs, or have faces sticking to their arses when
they lay them.

That's why you have laying boxes - to roll the eggs clear of chicken ****.

MM

IMM

Mike Mitchell wrote:
If you haven't yet bought the carpets, think again while there's

still
time! At least consider beautiful ceramic tiled floors like you
typically get on the continent throughout the house or apartment.

Great. I take it you never drop anything? And have incredible balance

when
on bare feet? And have no suspended wood floors?

And don't live in a flat above some poor suffering soul. Fortunately
several councils are now taking action to enforce carpeting even in

private
flats.

Cite?

Edinburgh issued proceedings on somebody three weeks ago. Milton Keynes

has
a large case file pending the outcome.

Proceeding for what? Singing in the bath?

The Natural Philosopher

G&M wrote:

We all used to be moreorless immune to this bacteria.

What utter ********. Food poisoning was so common that many political
leaders died from real poisoning without it ever being noticed. A
'surfeit of peaches and cider' IIRC :-)

It's only after two
generations of spoless cleanliness that it's become such a problem as it's
had to mutate to survive.

Not salmonella. That hasn't mutated. MRSA is a streptococcus I think.
I grew up teh 50's before fridges were commin and wen antibiotics were
rarely prescrbed except in dire emergencies. Boy did we suffer some
gastro enteric bugs then!

MRSA is bascally the result of t othings - using penicillin etc and not
using antiseptic techniques because you always could use penicillin.

We just got slack, that's all.

The Natural Philosopher

wrote:

google 'Edwina Currie' and see why she had to resgnfor telling the truth.

She had to resign because no one liked her - except John Major.

Only for the one purpose that kept her mouth quiet I expect.

That's about as subtle as a Tom & Jerry cartoon!

I suppose in that sense, eggs can be deadly for some. Oh, and what is
the status of free range eggs today?

Available from many farms - just drive past and look for the signs.

Hopefully, I'll be keeping one or two laying hens when I move further
into the sticks.

Or is the countryside on which
chickens range freely being sprayed with antibiotics?

Nope

Eggszactly! Honestly, some people trying to convince me free range is
bad!

Loads of flavour, loads of nutritional value, and loads of salmonella.

Your choice. I love em, but I make sure they get cooked.

MM

The Natural Philosopher

G&M wrote:

If they are YOUR free range chickens, you've already picked up and given
yourself immunity to all their little bugs. Just as with little humans, the
odd bacteria is not a cause for concern.

Oh no you haven't. E collii lives in all of our guts. Streptoccus lives
in all of our throats. But get it in the wrong place and either are a
killer.

Andy Hall

On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 00:04:50 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

"G&M" wrote in message

Edinburgh issued proceedings on somebody three weeks ago. Milton Keynes

has
a large case file pending the outcome.

Proceeding for what? Singing in the bath?

There's nothing much else to do in Milton Keynes.... The best
views are in the rear view mirror.

..
..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

IMM

"G&M" wrote in message

Edinburgh issued proceedings on somebody three weeks ago. Milton

Keynes
has
a large case file pending the outcome.

Proceeding for what? Singing in the bath?

There's nothing much else to do in Milton Keynes.... The best
views are in the rear view mirror.

You have never been to Milton Keynes. You probably thought it was in Essex.
Greenest town/city I have ever been to.

What is there to do in Edinburgh?

G&M

"G&M" wrote in message

Edinburgh issued proceedings on somebody three weeks ago. Milton

Keynes
has
a large case file pending the outcome.

Proceeding for what? Singing in the bath?

Replacing their carpet with 'hollow sounding wood flooring'. I presume this
means some form of cheap laminate.

.
.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

G&M

G&M wrote:

We all used to be moreorless immune to this bacteria.

What utter ********. Food poisoning was so common that many political
leaders died from real poisoning without it ever being noticed. A
'surfeit of peaches and cider' IIRC :-)

Not salmonella. That hasn't mutated.

Kindly go and investigate the facts before spouting. Salmonella does
mutate, but the variants around until the 60s survived quite nicely without
doing us all major harm. Some people died but most didn't.

MRSA is bascally the result of t othings - using penicillin etc and not
using antiseptic techniques because you always could use penicillin.

We just got slack, that's all.

On that we do agree.

G&M

G&M wrote:

If they are YOUR free range chickens, you've already picked up and given
yourself immunity to all their little bugs. Just as with little humans,

the
odd bacteria is not a cause for concern.

Oh no you haven't. E collii lives in all of our guts. Streptoccus lives
in all of our throats.

If you've got chickens, you'll pick up every bacteria they have as soon be
immune to tummy upsets from them.

But get it in the wrong place and either are a killer.

That's a different issue.

IMM

"G&M" wrote in message

Edinburgh issued proceedings on
somebody three weeks ago. Milton
Keynes has a large case file pending the outcome.

Proceeding for what? Singing in the bath?

Replacing their carpet with 'hollow sounding wood flooring'. I presume

this
means some form of cheap laminate.

All they had to do was put the thick underlay under the laminate. Then,
unless wearing stilettos, the footsteps are muted.

Jerry Built

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics) wrote:
Lovely idea if you live on the continent where it is warm
underfoot. Not in the UK though.

U/F heating, dork!

Yes, a very good way of "loosing money on your house". Horrid
way of heating. The "laminated flooring" of heating systems.

J.B.

Jerry Built

Huge wrote:
[ snip all ]

I suspect your grasp of biology is not what it might be.

There are some more contributions that invite wry amusement since
that (snipped) one. Where *do* these ideas come from?? Mutations,
salmonella, antibiotics, chickens "****ting on their eggs", and
having faces stuck to their arses!! Extraordinary!!!

J.B.

IMM

"Jerry Built" wrote in message
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics) wrote:
Lovely idea if you live on the continent where it is warm
underfoot. Not in the UK though.

U/F heating, dork!

Yes, a very good way of "loosing money on your house". Horrid
way of heating. The "laminated flooring" of heating systems.

Laminates put money on your house.