Homer2911

Default Cillit Bang - is it as good as it seems from the adverts?

Just asking like

Mungo \two sheds\ Toadfoot

Homer2911 wrote:
Just asking like

Is anything? My daughter informs me that it's nowhere near as good as it's
made out to be.

Si

Andy Mckenzie

"Homer2911" wrote in message
ups.com...
Just asking like

No idea, but
http://www.guardian.co.uk/life/badsc...403982,00.html
pulls apart a bit of the 'science' in their ads.

Jim S

"Homer2911" wrote in message
ups.com...
Just asking like

I thought it was pretty useless. Nothing like the advert!

Heds

Homer2911 wrote:
Just asking like

It's a stupid name! Makes me think of a certain part of the female anatomy.

/Heds

Mary Fisher

"Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot" wrote in message
Homer2911 wrote:
Just asking like

Is anything? My daughter informs me that it's nowhere near as good as it's
made out to be.

OK, I give in,what is it?

Mary

Richard Faulkner

In message . com,
Homer2911 writes
Just asking like

It's got rid of the grubbiness on my shower base which other cleaners,
including bleach, couldnt.

Contrary to everyone else's thoughts, I think it's OK.

--
Richard Faulkner
Alan

In message . com,
Homer2911 wrote

Just asking like

I will not be buying a second bottle.

--
Alan

Jeff

Alan wrote :-

I will not be buying a second bottle.

Nor me

but i s'pose if they make £1 clear profit on each bottle and a million
people try it ..............

Regards Jeff

On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 18:19:21 +0100, "Mungo \"two sheds\" Toadfoot"
wrote:

Is anything? My daughter informs me that it's nowhere near as good as it's
made out to be.

In the advert they dip a copper coin into the solution to clean it.

However, on the bottle it apparently says not suitable for use with
copper.

Graham

Magician

Contrary to everyone else's thoughts, I think it's OK.

I've tried it too and I'd agree.

There are two types, one for bathrooms which has an acidic base to
remove limescale and one which is a degreaser - I'm especially
impressed with the latter.

They only advertise one on the telly, saw both in Makro.

Dave

mike ring

Richard Faulkner wrote in news:QqM
:

It's got rid of the grubbiness on my shower base which other cleaners,
including bleach, couldnt.

Contrary to everyone else's thoughts, I think it's OK.

Me too; not as good as it claims, but *far* better thaan any other alleged
general purpose cleaner IMO

mike
EricP

On 4 Apr 2005 10:08:04 -0700, "Homer2911"
babbled like a waterfall and said:

Just asking like

No, it's rubbish, based on the adverts.

RichardS

news
wrote:

Is anything? My daughter informs me that it's nowhere near as good as

it's
made out to be.

In the advert they dip a copper coin into the solution to clean it.

However, on the bottle it apparently says not suitable for use with
copper.

amusingly, small captions have started appearing on the bottom of these
demonstrations.

IIRC, the copper coin demo (which lasts all of 3 seconds on the screen) has
the caption "15 minutes".

And another caption which I think is from this product says "stubborn
deposits may require scrubbing".

Which is strange, cos the advert makes it all look so easy..... g

--
Richard Sampson

mail me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Anna Kettle

On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 20:38:39 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

OK, I give in,what is it?

Thanks Mary. If you didn't ask I was going to have to

Anna

~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Lime plaster repairs
/ ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc
|____| www.kettlenet.co.uk 01359 230642

Mary Fisher

wrote:

OK, I give in,what is it?

Thanks Mary. If you didn't ask I was going to have to

But I haven't seen a reply ... :-(

I gather that it's a proprietary cleaner but from what Si said about his
daughter's comment I expected it to be something for Young People. The two
don't usually go together :-)

Mary

Anna

~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Lime plaster repairs
/ ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc
|____| www.kettlenet.co.uk 01359 230642

s--p--o--n--i--x

On 4 Apr 2005 10:08:04 -0700, "Homer2911" wrote:

Just asking like

We have found it *excellent* at removing limescale..makes your fingers
sting, though.

Also good for removing surface rust!

sPoniX
s--p--o--n--i--x

On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 20:38:39 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

OK, I give in,what is it?

Check this out:

http://www.luckykazoo.com/media/2005...ang-remix.html
Ian Johnston

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 09:16:30 UTC, (s--p--o--n--i--x)
wrote:

: That's because copper coins aren't copper, afaik.

Copper plated steel, these days.

Ian

Mungo \two sheds\ Toadfoot

wrote:

OK, I give in,what is it?

Thanks Mary. If you didn't ask I was going to have to

But I haven't seen a reply ... :-(

I gather that it's a proprietary cleaner but from what Si said about
his daughter's comment I expected it to be something for Young
People. The two don't usually go together :-)

It's claimed to be a miraculous cleaning product. It isn't.

My daughter is the cadet sergeant at the local St.John ambulance unit and
she used Cillit Bang (which even she calls clit bang) to clean the St.John
beach "hut" recently.

Don't worry Mary, she only cleans when asked to - she's not a freak

Si

Mary Fisher

"Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot" wrote in message

OK, I give in,what is it?

Thanks Mary. If you didn't ask I was going to have to

But I haven't seen a reply ... :-(

I gather that it's a proprietary cleaner but from what Si said about
his daughter's comment I expected it to be something for Young
People. The two don't usually go together :-)

It's claimed to be a miraculous cleaning product. It isn't.

My daughter is the cadet sergeant at the local St.John ambulance unit and
she used Cillit Bang (which even she calls clit bang) to clean the St.John
beach "hut" recently.

Ah, I see. I'd forgotten about that, thanks.

Don't worry Mary, she only cleans when asked to - she's not a freak

Of course she's not, she's your daughter.
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..

These things usually skip a generation :-)

Mary

Si

The Natural Philosopher

Homer2911 wrote:

Just asking like

Of course it isn't.

Its a fancey name for waterred d=own poofed up basic chemicals at 20
times the price.

By teh chemicals instead.
The Natural Philosopher

s--p--o--n--i--x wrote:

On 4 Apr 2005 10:08:04 -0700, "Homer2911" wrote:

Just asking like

We have found it *excellent* at removing limescale..makes your fingers
sting, though.

Also good for removing surface rust!

Phosphoric acid probably then.

Just about any acid is excellent at removing limescale.

sPoniX

Mary Fisher

Homer2911 wrote:

Just asking like

Of course it isn't.

Its a fancey name for waterred d=own poofed up basic chemicals at 20 times
the price.

By teh chemicals instead.

This is one of your posts you don't want to be taken seriously I take it
since you can't be arsed to make corrections and make communication
efficient.

Andy Dingley

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 13:22:32 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Also good for removing surface rust!

Phosphoric acid probably then.

Phosphoric acid won't remove rust at all. Instead it converts it to
phosphides. If you've already wire brushed it to remove the bulk,
then this might give you a useful surface for painting, but it's
_stabilisation_, rather than removal.

The best acid for careful de-rusting is citric. Sulphamic acid, as
used in most descalers, isn't bad either. Hydrochloric (aka muriatic
or brick acid) is pretty lousy in comparison.

But if you really want to de-rust, use electrolysis. Easy and the
results are vastly better.

s--p--o--n--i--x

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 10:34:22 +0100, Andy Dingley
wrote:

Cillit bang is useful stuff, but it's well overpriced and you can buy
the same thing much more cheaply without the brand name.

So what is the non-brand name stuff sold as?

It's certainly not the same as limescale remover as we did a
comparason test between Viakal and Cillit and the cillit was better.

s--p--o--n--i--x

wrote:

Also good for removing surface rust!

Phosphoric acid probably then.

Dunno what it is but try rubbing a rusty bit of metal with fine wire
wool and cillit!

sponix

On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 21:11:55 +0100, Richard Faulkner
wrote:

In message . com,
Homer2911 writes
Just asking like

It's got rid of the grubbiness on my shower base which other cleaners,
including bleach, couldnt.

If you washed yourself with Cilit Bang you wouldn't get any grubbiness
on the shower base and you would need to clean it.

(:-)

Graham

Mungo \two sheds\ Toadfoot

Pete C wrote:

Have had great results on a badly 'cemented' kitchen tap with a formic
acid based kettle descaler.

I wrapped a couple of layers of loo roll round it (!) before pouring
the descaler on so it wouldn't run off straight away.

Now there's a good idea that I would never have thought of!

Si

Magician

Andy dingley wrote;
.You do - just buy them in the supermarket. On their own they're

common, all Cillit Bang has done is to mix them up together.

What supermarket? Under what names do they sell them? Tesco Value
Surfactant? Tesco Finest Sulphamic Acid?

I've never seen them.

Dave