Nick Mason

"Magician" wrote:

Andy dingley wrote;
.You do - just buy them in the supermarket. On their own they're

common, all Cillit Bang has done is to mix them up together.

What supermarket? Under what names do they sell them? Tesco Value
Surfactant? Tesco Finest Sulphamic Acid?

I've never seen them.

Me neither - do pray tell me what the fcuk is Sulphamic Acid (O and A
level chem student)

Is it something we all know that has been relabelled in the interests
of confusing everyone, yet another snickers/cif/starburst load of
********?

Bob Minchin

--

Maybe you need to do some revision ??

Sulphamic Acid. (H2NSO3H)

John Stumbles

Nick Mason wrote:
"Magician" wrote:

Andy dingley wrote;

.You do - just buy them in the supermarket. On their own they're

common, all Cillit Bang has done is to mix them up together.

What supermarket? Under what names do they sell them? Tesco Value
Surfactant? Tesco Finest Sulphamic Acid?

I've never seen them.

Me neither - do pray tell me what the fcuk is Sulphamic Acid (O and A
level chem student)

Is it something we all know that has been relabelled in the interests
of confusing everyone, yet another snickers/cif/starburst load of
********?

I think Lidl limescale remover contains sulphamic/Sulfamic acid and
anionic surfactants. I don't know if other brands have their ingrediants
listed on them (unlike foods I don't think they have to in this country:
maybe Lidl do it because their stuff is intended to be sold in the same
packaging in other countries and maybe some of those require the
ingrediants to be listed)
The Natural Philosopher

Nick Mason wrote:

"Magician" wrote:

Andy dingley wrote;

.You do - just buy them in the supermarket. On their own they're

common, all Cillit Bang has done is to mix them up together.

What supermarket? Under what names do they sell them? Tesco Value
Surfactant? Tesco Finest Sulphamic Acid?

I've never seen them.

Me neither - do pray tell me what the fcuk is Sulphamic Acid (O and A
level chem student)

Duno. Descaler. I think its an organic acid of some sort, like oxalic

Is it something we all know that has been relabelled in the interests
of confusing everyone, yet another snickers/cif/starburst load of
********?

No. Descalers have to strike a mix between being god at reducing calcium
carbonate, and not good at reducing e.g. chrome, copper, brass and
stainless steel.
Aidan

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Of course it isn't.

Its a fancey name for waterred d=own poofed up basic chemicals at 20
times the price.

By teh chemicals instead.

Which chemicals? Where would one buy them? Suppliers of bulk chemicals
are often reluctant to supply Joe Public.

There used to be a US-based website which sold recipes for domestic
cleaners and empty bottles. The idea was that you bought the chemicals
in bulk and mixed them according to what type of cleaner you wanted by
following the recipe. It's shut down now, so I assume they weren't
making a pile of $ from it.

The Natural Philosopher

Aidan wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Of course it isn't.

Its a fancey name for waterred d=own poofed up basic chemicals at 20
times the price.

By teh chemicals instead.

Which chemicals? Where would one buy them? Suppliers of bulk chemicals
are often reluctant to supply Joe Public.

There used to be a US-based website which sold recipes for domestic
cleaners and empty bottles. The idea was that you bought the chemicals
in bulk and mixed them according to what type of cleaner you wanted by
following the recipe. It's shut down now, so I assume they weren't
making a pile of $ from it.

Our hardware store sells most stuff.

I have so far got:-

Hydrochloric acod (brick patio cleaner)
Sulphuric acid (drain cleaner, car battery acid)
caustic soda (drain unblocker etc. Works as good as Mr Muscle on burnt fat)
Ammonia (window cleaning)
Acetic acid (vinegar)
Sulphamic and other organic acids (bulk sold as descalers)
Raw detergent (industral cleaning)
Sodium hypchlorite (bleach)

Did you know you can make your won Swarfega from paraffin and washing up
liquid? the BEST ever way to clean oily grime off things...

Mungo \two sheds\ Toadfoot

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Did you know you can make your won Swarfega from paraffin and washing
up liquid? the BEST ever way to clean oily grime off things...

Is that what it's based on? That's interesting.

Si

Mary Fisher

"Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot" wrote in message
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Did you know you can make your won Swarfega from paraffin and washing
up liquid? the BEST ever way to clean oily grime off things...

Is that what it's based on? That's interesting.

It's not, the diy recipe was suggested to us in the late 1960s. We tried it,
it stank and wasn't as efficient as the proprietory stuff.

Spouse prefers Manuka (?) now anyway.

Mary

Si

Richard Tobin

In article ,
Mungo \"two sheds\" Toadfoot wrote:

There's some fun to be had with two 2p coins and a magnet - find one which
is copper and one which is steel. Use a magnet to show someone that a 2p
coin can be picked up with a magnet then switch the coins and let them try
it.

Given a handful of coppers of varying ages, you can demonstrate that
magnets only attract shiny metal.

Worked better a few years ago.

-- Richard
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Mary Fisher wrote:
Did you know you can make your won Swarfega from paraffin and washing
up liquid? the BEST ever way to clean oily grime off things...

Is that what it's based on? That's interesting.

It's not, the diy recipe was suggested to us in the late 1960s. We tried
it, it stank and wasn't as efficient as the proprietory stuff.

Spouse prefers Manuka (?) now anyway.

I like the 'rough' Swarfega.

--
*Always drink upstream from the herd *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Aidan

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Did you know you can make your won Swarfega from paraffin and washing

up
liquid? the BEST ever way to clean oily grime off things...

I think you may mean "...you can make your won Gunk/Jizer from
paraffin...".
Gunk and Jizer are for cleaning oily grime off things, Swarfega is a
hand cleaner, I believe. Paraffin & other such oil fuels are absorbed
through the skin and you should avoid skin contact.

raden

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
Mary Fisher wrote:
Did you know you can make your won Swarfega from paraffin and washing
up liquid? the BEST ever way to clean oily grime off things...

Is that what it's based on? That's interesting.

It's not, the diy recipe was suggested to us in the late 1960s. We tried
it, it stank and wasn't as efficient as the proprietory stuff.

Spouse prefers Manuka (?) now anyway.

I like the 'rough' Swarfega.

Bad for the environment, those micro granules

(NS a couple of weeks ago)

--
geoff
Mary Fisher

I like the 'rough' Swarfega.

Bad for the environment, those micro granules

(NS a couple of weeks ago)

What's NS?

Mary

--
geoff

Mary Fisher

"Aidan" wrote in message
I think you may mean "...you can make your won Gunk/Jizer from
paraffin...".
Gunk and Jizer are for cleaning oily grime off things, Swarfega is a
hand cleaner, I believe. Paraffin & other such oil fuels are absorbed
through the skin and you should avoid skin contact.

Yes, but when this diy stuff was first suggested most washing up liquid was
green and you ended up with something which LOOKED a bit like Swarfega so
people were duped into thinking it would be the same.

Mary

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
raden wrote:
I like the 'rough' Swarfega.

Bad for the environment, those micro granules

(NS a couple of weeks ago)

What are they? I'd assumed something like ground up walnut shells.

--
*If I throw a stick, will you leave?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Bob Eager

On Sat, 9 Apr 2005 08:50:30 UTC, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Aidan" wrote in message
I think you may mean "...you can make your won Gunk/Jizer from
paraffin...".
Gunk and Jizer are for cleaning oily grime off things, Swarfega is a
hand cleaner, I believe. Paraffin & other such oil fuels are absorbed
through the skin and you should avoid skin contact.

Yes, but when this diy stuff was first suggested most washing up liquid was
green and you ended up with something which LOOKED a bit like Swarfega so
people were duped into thinking it would be the same.

But then it's not even called Swarfega any more...it's called
Tufanega...

--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!
The Natural Philosopher

Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Did you know you can make your won Swarfega from paraffin and washing
up liquid? the BEST ever way to clean oily grime off things...

Is that what it's based on? That's interesting.

I have no idea what is actually in it, but green fairy liquid and
parafin mixed together look exactly the same and behave exactly the same.

I used to clean my hands after a good 'car operation' session by dowsing
in paraffin, then washing the paraffin off with washing up liquid.

One day I mixed the two together..and got a strangely familiar jelly
like substance....

Si

The Natural Philosopher

Aidan wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Did you know you can make your won Swarfega from paraffin and washing

up

liquid? the BEST ever way to clean oily grime off things...

I think you may mean "...you can make your won Gunk/Jizer from
paraffin...".
Gunk and Jizer are for cleaning oily grime off things, Swarfega is a
hand cleaner, I believe. Paraffin & other such oil fuels are absorbed
through the skin and you should avoid skin contact.

Yawn. I shouldn't indulge in most things I indulge in.

Everything is absorbed through the skin. I wouldn't shake hands with the
prime minister either.

The Natural Philosopher

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Mary Fisher wrote:

Did you know you can make your won Swarfega from paraffin and washing
up liquid? the BEST ever way to clean oily grime off things...

Is that what it's based on? That's interesting.

It's not, the diy recipe was suggested to us in the late 1960s. We tried
it, it stank and wasn't as efficient as the proprietory stuff.

Spouse prefers Manuka (?) now anyway.

I like the 'rough' Swarfega.

Yup. Thats got microballoons of polystyrene in it as a sort of abrasive.
You can buy those at model shops.
The Natural Philosopher

Mary Fisher wrote:

"Aidan" wrote in message

I think you may mean "...you can make your won Gunk/Jizer from
paraffin...".
Gunk and Jizer are for cleaning oily grime off things, Swarfega is a
hand cleaner, I believe. Paraffin & other such oil fuels are absorbed
through the skin and you should avoid skin contact.

Yes, but when this diy stuff was first suggested most washing up liquid was
green and you ended up with something which LOOKED a bit like Swarfega so
people were duped into thinking it would be the same.

I never was recommended it. It happened by accident.

It worked. Yup it stank a bit, bit it was pretty obvious that swarfega
was in fact an olefin and a detergent mixed. Plus a bit of antiseptic
and a bit of dye and a bit of pong.

Try using pentane hexane or octane instead of parafin for a better smell.

Mary

The Natural Philosopher

Huge wrote:

The Natural Philosopher writes:

[35 lines snipped]

Did you know you can make your won Swarfega from paraffin and washing up
liquid? the BEST ever way to clean oily grime off things...

As long as those things don't include skin; hydrocarbons are carcinogenic.

Yup. Don't handle those candles folks, or touch that butter or
margarine. Or in fact handle any part of the organic world at all, all
of which is hydrocarbons of one sort or another.

Sometimes people make idiots of themselves don't they?

Know what candles are? Paraffin wax. Why is it called paraffin wax?
because its made of long chain paraffins. You can almost eat the bloody
things.

Most carcinogenic hydocarbons are aromatics of one sort or another - the
benzenes etc. Or the chlorinated hydrocarbons like carbon tetrachloride,
trichlorethane etc.

But I guess you are the sort of guy who reads the sunday sport and
attacks paediatricians instead.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:
But then it's not even called Swarfega any more...it's called
Tufanega...

Ah. Perhaps that's why it was on very special offer at my local motor
factor a year or so ago. I bought 4 of the gallon tubs. Will probably see
me out. ;-)

--
*Reality? Is that where the pizza delivery guy comes from?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Alan

In message , Bob Eager
wrote

But then it's not even called Swarfega any more...it's called
Tufanega...

You can still get Swarfega under that name.

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...NIZM1NHZGFCJO2
C1SIIQ?id=24084&ts=45723
--
Alan

Bob Eager

On Sat, 9 Apr 2005 11:24:52 UTC, Alan
wrote:

In message , Bob Eager
wrote

But then it's not even called Swarfega any more...it's called
Tufanega...

You can still get Swarfega under that name.

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...QNIZM1NHZGFCJO
2
C1SIIQ?id=24084&ts=45723

Having had a look round (I had a thing that said 'Tufanega - the new
name for Swarfega'), it's not quite as simple as I thought.

They now appear to be marketing under both names - see www.deb.co.uk.
It's not clear if the 'home' market is still being sold Swarfega, and
the 'industrial' market Tufanega. Having said that, the part numbers for
Tufanega start SWA....!
--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!
dmc

In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:

They now appear to be marketing under both names - see www.deb.co.uk.
It's not clear if the 'home' market is still being sold Swarfega, and
the 'industrial' market Tufanega. Having said that, the part numbers for
Tufanega start SWA....!

From years ago when my dad ran a garage I seem to recall that Swarfega
was green and smooth and Tufanega was orange and had the abrasiave in
it.

I could have been dreaming...

Darren

The Natural Philosopher

Huge wrote:

The Natural Philosopher writes:

[35 lines snipped]

Did you know you can make your won Swarfega from paraffin and washing up
liquid? the BEST ever way to clean oily grime off things...

As long as those things don't include skin; hydrocarbons are carcinogenic.

Yup. Don't handle those candles folks, or touch that butter or
margarine. Or in fact handle any part of the organic world at all, all
of which is hydrocarbons of one sort or another.

That'll be why the MSDS for paraffin states "Harmful: Irritating to
skin" and recommends the use of protective clothing, will it? You
keep rubbing it right in, retard. Then your skin will be as ****ed
as your "brain".

Looks like you have been in=haling too much of it Huge

Sometimes people make idiots of themselves don't they?

You surely do. Thanks for demonstrating (once again) that those who post
ostentatiously anonymously have No Clue.

Most carcinogenic hydocarbons are aromatics of one sort or another - the
benzenes etc. Or the chlorinated hydrocarbons like carbon tetrachloride,
trichlorethane etc.

Yawn. One of my degrees is in biochemistry, oh ****head.

Oh dear. Oh dear oh dear.

Then its a shame it was from teh Dr Evil institurte of big red books
wasn't it?

Get an adult to read some of these to you;

http://monographs.iarc.fr/htdocs/mon...neraloils.html

" Exposure to the mineral oils that have been used in a variety of
occupations, including mulespinning, metal machining and jute
processing, has been associated strongly and consistently with the
occurrence of squamous-cell cancers of the skin, and especially of the
scrotum."

Those are not paraffin.

http://www.inchem.org/documents/iarc...neraloils.html

" Acid-treated oils [class 2] of either naphthenic or paraffinic origin
produced a significant skin tumour response, unless severe acid
treatment had been applied."

That isn't paraffin either. No one suggested mixing acid in it.

ICBA to read any more of the multiple Google hits.

But I guess you are the sort of guy who reads the sunday sport and
attacks paediatricians instead.

Yawn. Off to the ****wit farm with you. Enjoy the cancers caused by
anointing yourself with paraffin, won't you? In particular the scrotal
tumours. You can post pictures of those so we can laugh at you.

Mary Fisher

"Huge" wrote in message
"Mary Fisher" writes:

I like the 'rough' Swarfega.

Bad for the environment, those micro granules

(NS a couple of weeks ago)

What's NS?

New Scientist

Ah of course! Thanks.

Which reminds me - I have a great pile from the 70s. Free to good home (but
not carriage!)

Mary

Mary Fisher

Know what candles are? Paraffin wax.

Only some candles. And it's paraffin, not wax.

Why is it called paraffin wax?

It shouldn't be. It's just a paraffin.

because its made of long chain paraffins. You can almost eat the bloody
things.

There's no food value, unlike tallow candles which aren't sold with added
VAT because they're made of a food substance, animal fat. Yes, it's a
hydrocarbon but it's not carcinogenic.

Most carcinogenic hydocarbons are aromatics of one sort or another - the
benzenes etc. Or the chlorinated hydrocarbons like carbon tetrachloride,
trichlorethane etc.

But not all.

But I guess you are the sort of guy who reads the sunday sport and attacks
paediatricians instead.

Why are you so very silly?

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
dmc wrote:
From years ago when my dad ran a garage I seem to recall that Swarfega
was green and smooth and Tufanega was orange and had the abrasiave in
it.

My orange coarse stuff is in a tub marked Swarfega. Perhaps that's why it
was on special offer.

--
*I was once a millionaire but my mom gave away my baseball cards

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Bob Eager

On Sat, 9 Apr 2005 12:57:25 UTC, (dmc) wrote:

In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:

They now appear to be marketing under both names - see
www.deb.co.uk.
It's not clear if the 'home' market is still being sold Swarfega, and
the 'industrial' market Tufanega. Having said that, the part numbers for
Tufanega start SWA....!

From years ago when my dad ran a garage I seem to recall that Swarfega
was green and smooth and Tufanega was orange and had the abrasiave in
it.

You're right...that's 'Tufanega Orange'. As opposed to 'Tufanega Green'
!!

--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!
Mary Fisher

"Rob Morley" wrote in message

Spouse prefers Manuka (?) now anyway.

I like the 'rough' Swarfega.

I've found it dries your hands if used frequently. Manista is good.

That's the stuff. Manuka always sounded wrong!

musing What's Manuka?

Mary

Mary Fisher

"Huge" wrote in message
"Mary Fisher" writes:

Why are you so very silly?

How do I acquire your patience and forebearance? As I get older, I seem to
be
getting angrier, not calmer.

For the last five or so years I've kept saying that I was becoming mellow in
my dotage. Every single person I've said it to has used the same words:

"Good God, don't do that!"

ObDIY: Just cut myself getting open the elderly NiCD battery pack on my
144MHz handheld, so I could put new cells in it.

Aw, baby, let Auntie Mary kiss it better :-)

Mary

Mungo \two sheds\ Toadfoot

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Rob Morley" wrote in message

Spouse prefers Manuka (?) now anyway.

I like the 'rough' Swarfega.

I've found it dries your hands if used frequently. Manista is good.

That's the stuff. Manuka always sounded wrong!

musing What's Manuka?

It's honey, Mary! You of all people...

Si

Mary Fisher

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Rob Morley" wrote in message

Spouse prefers Manuka (?) now anyway.

I like the 'rough' Swarfega.

I've found it dries your hands if used frequently. Manista is good.

That's the stuff. Manuka always sounded wrong!

musing What's Manuka?

It's honey, Mary! You of all people...

Yes, we discussed this over dinner tonight and Spouse said the same... :-(

But it IS New Zealand honey so I can be forgiven ... can't I?

If not for that, for the vagaries of age??

Please?

I challenge anyone here to claim that s/he's never forgotten something s/he
shouldn't have :-)

The wo/man who never made a mistake never made anything ...

Mary

Si

Stefek Zaba

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I have no idea what is actually in it, but green fairy liquid and
parafin mixed together look exactly the same and behave exactly the same.

I used to clean my hands after a good 'car operation' session by dowsing
in paraffin, then washing the paraffin off with washing up liquid.

One day I mixed the two together..and got a strangely familiar jelly
like substance....

You too, huh? I discovered this about 30 years ago, in teenage years,
probably going through the same simplistic thinking process as you -
viz., "this bike grease all over my hands is all organic non-polar gunk,
so let's have at it with a similar sort of solvent... what've we got
here in the garage - oh, that paraffin looks good", followed by "OK,
that's got much of the gunk off, let's wash the rest off under the tap.
Hmm, doesn't dissolve all that well in this here polar solvent (water).
Isn't detergent s'posed to have a non-polar end wot makes friends with
non-polar solutes, and a polar end wot makes friends with water? Let's
give it a try... oooh, it works, it works really well - and the
resulting gunge looks remarkably like Swarfega! Coo! Chemistry in action!"

No doubt if one worked 8h/day with gunge, then barrier cream and less
carcinogenic gunk than paraffin+Fairy would be indicated; but for the
weekend warrior, it's still useful knowledge for when the Swarfega runs out.

Stefek