raden

In message , Martin Evans
writes
(dmc) wrote:

In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:

They now appear to be marketing under both names - see www.deb.co.uk.
It's not clear if the 'home' market is still being sold Swarfega, and
the 'industrial' market Tufanega. Having said that, the part numbers for
Tufanega start SWA....!

From years ago when my dad ran a garage I seem to recall that Swarfega
was green and smooth and Tufanega was orange and had the abrasiave in
it.

I usually use Loctite Fast Orange but for a change I ordered some
Swafega the other day from an industrial supplier. When it arrived I
thought i'd been supplied the wrong stuff. It green and non grainy as
it always was but is now labeled Tufanega.

That's real Swarfega, that is

If you want some grains, just chuck a bit of sharp sand in and mix well

--
geoff
GymRatZ

raden wrote:

That's real Swarfega, that is

If you want some grains, just chuck a bit of sharp sand in and mix well

When I were a lad fixing Tractors I used to grab a handfull of sawdust
to give the "soft soap" a bit more bite. Nowadays with all the H&S
issues, I'm suprised folks even need cleaning products as thems is
always wearing them stretchy "poofda" gloves!
Andy Dingley

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 22:36:38 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

The colour wasn't necessarily a poisonous copper salt.

Green colouring in that period probably _was_ a poisonous copper salt.
It may not have been intentional, but green colours of the period were
a bit infamous (the Scheele's Green used on Napoleon's wallpaper being
just one). I've just been rooting through the reference books to try
and find a ref on toxic candles. I have a vague memory of copper
arsenate being used to stop rats eating the tallow.

Surprisingly the Chemical Formulary (American) was also referring to
"paraffin wax" whilst Spon (English) used "paraffin" or even "paraffin
scale".

raden

In message , GymRatZ
writes
raden wrote:

That's real Swarfega, that is
If you want some grains, just chuck a bit of sharp sand in and mix
well

When I were a lad fixing Tractors I used to grab a handfull of sawdust
to give the "soft soap" a bit more bite. Nowadays with all the H&S
issues, I'm suprised folks even need cleaning products as thems is
always wearing them stretchy "poofda" gloves!

I can't stand gloves - nowt like a bit of honest grime

--
geoff

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Sulphamic and other organic acids (bulk sold as descalers)

Surely Sulphamic acid itself *isn't* an organic acid though most
others sold as descalers are organic.

--
Chris Green

Mary Fisher

"raden" wrote in message
In message , GymRatZ
writes
raden wrote:

That's real Swarfega, that is
If you want some grains, just chuck a bit of sharp sand in and mix well

When I were a lad fixing Tractors I used to grab a handfull of sawdust to
give the "soft soap" a bit more bite. Nowadays with all the H&S issues,
I'm suprised folks even need cleaning products as thems is always wearing
them stretchy "poofda" gloves!

I can't stand gloves - nowt like a bit of honest grime

Gloves are good for dishonest grime.

Mary

--
geoff

Mary Fisher

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
The colour wasn't necessarily a poisonous copper salt.

Green colouring in that period probably _was_ a poisonous copper salt.

But not necessarily.

Mediaeval wax seals were coloured with verdigris but that reacts with the
wax to some extent. If the copper salt were incorporated into tallow so that
it was evenly distributed throughout the candle imagine what the flame would
be like ... apart from colour it wouldn't last long because the wick would
become clogged.

Believe me, I've tried!

It may not have been intentional, but green colours of the period were
a bit infamous (the Scheele's Green used on Napoleon's wallpaper being
just one).

That was an arsenate, in my memory.

I've just been rooting through the reference books to try
and find a ref on toxic candles. I have a vague memory of copper
arsenate being used to stop rats eating the tallow.

There are better and cheaper ways.

If you find any authoritative references I'd like to know, please.

Mary

Paul Mc Cann

In article , says...
In message , Martin Evans
writes
(dmc) wrote:

In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:

They now appear to be marketing under both names - see
www.deb.co.uk.
It's not clear if the 'home' market is still being sold Swarfega, and
the 'industrial' market Tufanega. Having said that, the part numbers for
Tufanega start SWA....!

From years ago when my dad ran a garage I seem to recall that Swarfega
was green and smooth and Tufanega was orange and had the abrasiave in
it.

I usually use Loctite Fast Orange but for a change I ordered some
Swafega the other day from an industrial supplier. When it arrived I
thought i'd been supplied the wrong stuff. It green and non grainy as
it always was but is now labeled Tufanega.

That's real Swarfega, that is

If you want some grains, just chuck a bit of sharp sand in and mix well

Sugar as an additive might be preferable
--
Paul Mc Cann
raden

In message , Mary
Fisher writes

What's more (I didn't say this before) if you add minerals to tallow they
sink to the lowest part of the candle so aren't going to be a danger for
the
rest of the candle body.

No, they're repeatedly dipped, layer on layer

I know that, Geoffrey, I'm a candlemaker. I make tallow candles for museums.
And if you put any mineral into the dipping pot it sinks to the bottom.

Well, this is what Blists Hill have to say:

Dear Geoff,

The copper salts were added to the candles to prevent miners stealing
the candles from their work, ie. If a green candle was found in a
miner's home, then the candle was obviously a stolen one. (Privately
purchased household candles were white).

However, as copper salts were in the candles, anyone using these tallow
candles for cooking or eating would have had the side-effect of being
poisoned.

Kind regards,
Kerra - Receptionist
Blists Hill Victorian Town

--
geoff
narcissu

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 15:10:55 GMT, raden wrote:

In message , Mary
Fisher writes

"raden" wrote in message

They used to put a poisonous copper salt in candles for mineworkers
especially to stop them eating them (when they were made of tallow)

Evidence?

Blists Hill museum at Ironbridge

Coming into this subject at a late stage, I cannot find any real
reference to the subject, so - can anyone restate if CB is good,
advertising hype, or just like some other product?

Thanks.
Al Reynolds

"raden" wrote in message

They used to put a poisonous copper salt in candles for mineworkers
especially to stop them eating them (when they were made of tallow)

Evidence?

Blists Hill museum at Ironbridge

Coming into this subject at a late stage, I cannot find any real
reference to the subject, so - can anyone restate if CB is good,
advertising hype, or just like some other product?

Thanks.

I found it to be very poor.
Al

David Lang

Hi
Coming into this subject at a late stage, I cannot find any real
reference to the subject, so - can anyone restate if CB is good,
advertising hype, or just like some other product?

There are two types of Cillit Bang, one is a limescale remover/bathroom
cleaner which I haven't tried, the other is a power degreaser - which is
excellent - very impressed.

Dave

narcissu

On Tue, 31 May 2005 18:18:12 GMT, "David Lang"
wrote:

Hi
Coming into this subject at a late stage, I cannot find any real
reference to the subject, so - can anyone restate if CB is good,
advertising hype, or just like some other product?

There are two types of Cillit Bang, one is a limescale remover/bathroom
cleaner which I haven't tried, the other is a power degreaser - which is
excellent - very impressed.

Dave

Thanks for the replies.