Mary Fisher

"Huge" wrote in message

For the last five or so years I've kept saying that I was becoming mellow
in
my dotage. Every single person I've said it to has used the same words:

"Good God, don't do that!"

Oh. I'll stay angry, then. Can't do my blood pressure any good, though.

No, it's not worth it. Anger is destructive. There's no point in losing your
temper with inanimate objects.

ObDIY: Just cut myself getting open the elderly NiCD battery pack on my
144MHz handheld, so I could put new cells in it.

Aw, baby, let Auntie Mary kiss it better :-)

Fank Ooh, Auntie Mary.

There, I knew it would get better :-)

Mary

Aaron

Andy Dingley wrote:
On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 13:22:32 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Also good for removing surface rust!

Phosphoric acid probably then.

Phosphoric acid won't remove rust at all. Instead it converts it to
phosphides. If you've already wire brushed it to remove the bulk,
then this might give you a useful surface for painting, but it's
_stabilisation_, rather than removal.

The best acid for careful de-rusting is citric. Sulphamic acid, as
used in most descalers, isn't bad either. Hydrochloric (aka muriatic
or brick acid) is pretty lousy in comparison.

But if you really want to de-rust, use electrolysis. Easy and the
results are vastly better.

That's very likely to be based on relative concentrations though, HCl
is a strong acid compaired to phosphoric which is a weaker acid. However
at an increased concentration H3PO4 will have and increased amount of
H+ ions and therefore will be more reactive with limescale. You could
use Ka values and such to work out how reactive things are but I can't
be bothered to rememeber my A-Level chemistry at this hour :P.

--
Regards,
Aaron.
raden

In message , Mary
Fisher writes

I like the 'rough' Swarfega.

Bad for the environment, those micro granules

(NS a couple of weeks ago)

What's NS?

New Scientist

--
geoff
raden

In message , Mary
Fisher writes

"Huge" wrote in message
"Mary Fisher" writes:

I like the 'rough' Swarfega.

Bad for the environment, those micro granules

(NS a couple of weeks ago)

What's NS?

New Scientist

Ah of course! Thanks.

Which reminds me - I have a great pile from the 70s.

That would be "Old Scientist" now then

--
geoff
raden

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
raden wrote:
I like the 'rough' Swarfega.

Bad for the environment, those micro granules

(NS a couple of weeks ago)

What are they? I'd assumed something like ground up walnut shells.

Plastic granules, which are not very healthy for fish (as they get
washed out to sea)

If I'd paid more attention to the article, I could give you more info

--
geoff
raden

In message , The Natural
Philosopher writes
Aidan wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Did you know you can make your won Swarfega from paraffin and washing

up

liquid? the BEST ever way to clean oily grime off things...

I think you may mean "...you can make your won Gunk/Jizer from
paraffin...".
Gunk and Jizer are for cleaning oily grime off things, Swarfega is a
hand cleaner, I believe. Paraffin & other such oil fuels are absorbed
through the skin and you should avoid skin contact.

Yawn. I shouldn't indulge in most things I indulge in.

Everything is absorbed through the skin. I wouldn't shake hands with
the prime minister either.

Not even if it was on TV and you had one of those buzzers which gives
you an electric shock ?

--
geoff
raden

In message , The Natural
Philosopher writes
Huge wrote:

The Natural Philosopher writes:
[35 lines snipped]

Did you know you can make your won Swarfega from paraffin and washing
up liquid? the BEST ever way to clean oily grime off things...

As long as those things don't include skin; hydrocarbons are
carcinogenic.

Yup. Don't handle those candles folks, or touch that butter or
margarine. Or in fact handle any part of the organic world at all, all
of which is hydrocarbons of one sort or another.

Sometimes people make idiots of themselves don't they?

Know what candles are? Paraffin wax. Why is it called paraffin wax?
because its made of long chain paraffins. You can almost eat the bloody
things.

Almost ?

They used to put a poisonous copper salt in candles for mineworkers
especially to stop them eating them (when they were made of tallow)

--
geoff

Mary Fisher

wrote:

[...]

Apparently not. To say that hydrochloric acid is a 'strong' acid and
phosphoric is 'weak' wthout stating relative concentrations is meaningless.

Mary

--
Regards,
Aaron.

Mary Fisher

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"Huge" wrote in message
"Mary Fisher" writes:

I like the 'rough' Swarfega.

Bad for the environment, those micro granules

(NS a couple of weeks ago)

What's NS?

New Scientist

Ah of course! Thanks.

Which reminds me - I have a great pile from the 70s.

That would be "Old Scientist" now then

Just had a look, no, after blowing off the dust is still says New.

Mary

--
geoff

Mary Fisher

raden wrote:
I like the 'rough' Swarfega.

Bad for the environment, those micro granules

(NS a couple of weeks ago)

What are they? I'd assumed something like ground up walnut shells.

Plastic granules, which are not very healthy for fish (as they get washed
out to sea)

If I'd paid more attention to the article, I could give you more info

You mean you pay for a journal then not take full advantage of it?

You're not aYorkshireman then!

Mary

--
geoff

Mary Fisher

"raden" wrote in message

They used to put a poisonous copper salt in candles for mineworkers
especially to stop them eating them (when they were made of tallow)

Evidence?

Mary

--
geoff

Andy Dingley

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 11:51:10 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

To say that hydrochloric acid is a 'strong' acid and
phosphoric is 'weak' wthout stating relative concentrations is meaningless.

No, the notion of "strong" and "weak" as an acid is well established
as a characteristic of the type of acid. Of course the overall
"ability to cause corrosion" depends on the concentration too.

raden

In message , Mary
Fisher writes
Bad for the environment, those micro granules

(NS a couple of weeks ago)

What are they? I'd assumed something like ground up walnut shells.

Plastic granules, which are not very healthy for fish (as they get washed
out to sea)

If I'd paid more attention to the article, I could give you more info

You mean you pay for a journal then not take full advantage of it?

You're not aYorkshireman then!

Hardly ...

Being a thrifty northerner yersel' , I would have thought you would have
recycled those old NS's of yours by now

--
geoff
raden

In message , Mary
Fisher writes

"raden" wrote in message

They used to put a poisonous copper salt in candles for mineworkers
especially to stop them eating them (when they were made of tallow)

Evidence?

Blists Hill museum at Ironbridge

--
geoff
Mary Fisher

wrote:

To say that hydrochloric acid is a 'strong' acid and
phosphoric is 'weak' wthout stating relative concentrations is
meaningless.

No, the notion of "strong" and "weak" as an acid is well established
as a characteristic of the type of acid. Of course the overall
"ability to cause corrosion" depends on the concentration too.

That, to most people, would be what they meant by strong. I'd rather be
splashed by a very dilute hydrochloric acid than by a concentrated
phosphoric one.

Either, in a sufficient dilution, can - and are - consumed.

Mary Fisher

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Mary Fisher
writes
Bad for the environment, those micro granules

(NS a couple of weeks ago)

What are they? I'd assumed something like ground up walnut shells.

Plastic granules, which are not very healthy for fish (as they get
washed
out to sea)

If I'd paid more attention to the article, I could give you more info

You mean you pay for a journal then not take full advantage of it?

You're not aYorkshireman then!

Hardly ...

Being a thrifty northerner yersel' , I would have thought you would have
recycled those old NS's of yours by now

I waited until they had a rarity value ...

But in truth I'm not good at selling. If I buy something with print on it
every word is read though.

Mary

--
geoff

Mary Fisher

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"raden" wrote in message

They used to put a poisonous copper salt in candles for mineworkers
especially to stop them eating them (when they were made of tallow)

Evidence?

Blists Hill museum at Ironbridge

That's one source and not authoritative. I'd want to see the contemporary
records.

At Killhope lead mining museum they talk about miners's lives being saved by
eating their tallow candles while waiting to be saved after cave-ins.

Think of it, the candles were to provide a working light. The addition of
anything would cost the mine owners money. They weren't going to do that ...
and the miners won't going to eat the candles and have to work in the dark.

Mary

--
geoff

raden

In message , Mary
Fisher writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Mary Fisher
writes
Bad for the environment, those micro granules

(NS a couple of weeks ago)

What are they? I'd assumed something like ground up walnut shells.

Plastic granules, which are not very healthy for fish (as they get
washed
out to sea)

If I'd paid more attention to the article, I could give you more info

You mean you pay for a journal then not take full advantage of it?

You're not aYorkshireman then!

Hardly ...

Being a thrifty northerner yersel' , I would have thought you would have
recycled those old NS's of yours by now

I waited until they had a rarity value ...

But in truth I'm not good at selling.

That's not exactly what I was alluding to

--
geoff
raden

In message , Mary
Fisher writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"raden" wrote in message

They used to put a poisonous copper salt in candles for mineworkers
especially to stop them eating them (when they were made of tallow)

Evidence?

Blists Hill museum at Ironbridge

That's one source and not authoritative. I'd want to see the contemporary
records.

Well go there and watch them making them and explaining it then

At Killhope lead mining museum they talk about miners's lives being saved by
eating their tallow candles while waiting to be saved after cave-ins.

Think of it, the candles were to provide a working light.

Exactly - not an awful lot of use for that once they've passed into the
digestive tract of a miner are they ?

--
geoff
Mary Fisher

Bad for the environment, those micro granules

(NS a couple of weeks ago)

What are they? I'd assumed something like ground up walnut shells.

Plastic granules, which are not very healthy for fish (as they get
washed
out to sea)

If I'd paid more attention to the article, I could give you more info

You mean you pay for a journal then not take full advantage of it?

You're not aYorkshireman then!

Hardly ...

Being a thrifty northerner yersel' , I would have thought you would have
recycled those old NS's of yours by now

I waited until they had a rarity value ...

But in truth I'm not good at selling.

That's not exactly what I was alluding to

Then you'll have to be more explicit.

Mary

--
geoff

Mary Fisher

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Mary
Fisher
writes

"raden" wrote in message

They used to put a poisonous copper salt in candles for mineworkers
especially to stop them eating them (when they were made of tallow)

Evidence?

Blists Hill museum at Ironbridge

That's one source and not authoritative. I'd want to see the contemporary
records.

Well go there and watch them making them and explaining it then

Ironbridge has no more authority than Killhope and other museums I supply
with tallow candles.

At Killhope lead mining museum they talk about miners's lives being saved
by
eating their tallow candles while waiting to be saved after cave-ins.

Think of it, the candles were to provide a working light.

Exactly - not an awful lot of use for that once they've passed into the
digestive tract of a miner are they ?

You've snipped the rest of my post.

They were made to last a working day to provide light for a miner. If he ate
his (why should he?) he'd have been left in the dark.

And it would have cost the owners to add any other substance, they weren't
likely to do that.

What's more (I didn't say this before) if you add minerals to tallow they
sink to the lowest part of the candle so aren't going to be a danger for the
rest of the candle body.

Mary

--
geoff

raden

In message , Mary
Fisher writes

Bad for the environment, those micro granules

(NS a couple of weeks ago)

What are they? I'd assumed something like ground up walnut shells.

Plastic granules, which are not very healthy for fish (as they get
washed
out to sea)

If I'd paid more attention to the article, I could give you more info

You mean you pay for a journal then not take full advantage of it?

You're not aYorkshireman then!

Hardly ...

Being a thrifty northerner yersel' , I would have thought you would have
recycled those old NS's of yours by now

I waited until they had a rarity value ...

But in truth I'm not good at selling.

That's not exactly what I was alluding to

Then you'll have to be more explicit.

What do you need, an advert for Andrex or Charmin ?

--
geoff
raden

In message , Mary
Fisher writes

[...]

No, they're repeatedly dipped, layer on layer

http://www.bbc.co.uk/shropshire/pano...s_hill_06.shtm

for a panoramic view

--
geoff
Mary Fisher

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Mary Fisher
writes

[...]

Oh I see. Tinted toilet tissue of yesteryear!

Haven't used that since the 1940s. I was reading by the time I was four
years old and used to spend hours in the outside lavvy on the wooden bench
seat reading fragments of News of the World and News Chronicle on the nail
behind the door. There was never a complete report ... and it was always
monochrome.

My mother disapproved (quite rightly!) so when we moved to a council house
with an indoor lav (as well as a bath! and hot water!!) we always had the
hard shiny stuff which wasn't anything like as interesting.

Mind you, by that time I'd discovered Captain Marvel comics and the like so
I still spent time with my little fat legs hanging down ...

When Spouse and I married and we bought a one up one down with cold water
and lav down the street for £350 it was always either so cold or there was a
baby in the house to get back to so no time was spent on the throne, no
matter what paper was being recycled.

Now we're frightfully posh and buy proper recycled paper on a roll. And
there's a selection of books and magazines in the smallest room but not NS.
Modern mags are all so shiny, aren't they!

If I ever get round to reading old mags I'll start with about thirty years'
worth of Punch.

Mary

--
geoff

Mary Fisher

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Mary Fisher
writes

[...]

I know that, Geoffrey, I'm a candlemaker. I make tallow candles for museums.
And if you put any mineral into the dipping pot it sinks to the bottom.

Mary

http://www.bbc.co.uk/shropshire/pano...s_hill_06.shtm

Page not found

raden

In message , Mary
Fisher writes

Exactly - not an awful lot of use for that once they've passed into the
digestive tract of a miner are they ?

You've snipped the rest of my post.

They were made to last a working day to provide light for a miner. If he
ate
his (why should he?) he'd have been left in the dark.

And it would have cost the owners to add any other substance, they weren't
likely to do that.

What's more (I didn't say this before) if you add minerals to tallow they
sink to the lowest part of the candle so aren't going to be a danger for
the
rest of the candle body.

No, they're repeatedly dipped, layer on layer

I know that, Geoffrey, I'm a candlemaker. I make tallow candles for museums.
And if you put any mineral into the dipping pot it sinks to the bottom.

Ah but they've had an industrial revolution over in Salop

They've obviously found the secret

Mary

http://www.bbc.co.uk/shropshire/pano...s_hill_06.shtm

Page not found

That would be because I seem to have wordwrap on

Do you see that extra "I" on the next line, you need that

--
geoff

Mary Fisher

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Mary Fisher
writes

[...]

I tried that but it looked like a1 (one), it could be an l (ell). It
certainly doesn't look like an I.

Mary

--
geoff

Mary Fisher

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Mary Fisher
writes

They used to put a poisonous copper salt in candles for mineworkers
especially to stop them eating them (when they were made of tallow)

OK, I got the link.

It looks OK.

It also says:

"The Madeley Wood Company used specially-made green candles for its miners
at work, which meant that anyone found with green candles at home was in
deep trouble."

I can believe that but it's nothing to do with stopping miners eating them!
It probably had more to do with the law at that time which forbade anyone
making their own candles.

The colour wasn't necessarily a poisonous copper salt.

Facts become contorted when passed from mouth to mouth ...

Mary

raden

In message , Mary
Fisher writes
They used to put a poisonous copper salt in candles for mineworkers
especially to stop them eating them (when they were made of tallow)

OK, I got the link.

It looks OK.

It also says:

"The Madeley Wood Company used specially-made green candles for its miners
at work, which meant that anyone found with green candles at home was in
deep trouble."

I can believe that but it's nothing to do with stopping miners eating them!
It probably had more to do with the law at that time which forbade anyone
making their own candles.
The colour wasn't necessarily a poisonous copper salt.
Facts become contorted when passed from mouth to mouth ...

Well ... it's what they said, who am I to argue

candle making isn't something I've ever really had any inclination to
try and make

--
geoff
raden

raden wrote:
That would be because I seem to have wordwrap on

Do you see that extra "I" on the next line, you need that

Stick it in brackets thus:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/shropshire/panoramic/blists_hill/blists_hill_06.stml

Any newsreader worthy of the name should then ignore any word wrap.

Good tip - ta

--
geoff
The Natural Philosopher

Mary Fisher wrote:

Which reminds me - I have a great pile from the 70s.

You should have seen a doctor years ago...

The Natural Philosopher

Mary Fisher wrote:

Which reminds me - I have a great pile from the 70s.

You should have seen a doctor years ago...
Martin Evans

(dmc) wrote:

In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:

They now appear to be marketing under both names - see
www.deb.co.uk.
It's not clear if the 'home' market is still being sold Swarfega, and
the 'industrial' market Tufanega. Having said that, the part numbers for
Tufanega start SWA....!

From years ago when my dad ran a garage I seem to recall that Swarfega
was green and smooth and Tufanega was orange and had the abrasiave in
it.

I usually use Loctite Fast Orange but for a change I ordered some
Swafega the other day from an industrial supplier. When it arrived I
thought i'd been supplied the wrong stuff. It green and non grainy as
it always was but is now labeled Tufanega.

Owain

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
The British Pharmacopoeia lists the different forms as liquid
paraffin, soft paraffin and paraffin wax.

Thats right. The one you drink is liquid paraffin isn't it?
Must be hugely carcinogenic if you arer supposed to drink it.

Maybe the 'liquid paraffin' in the BP isn't quite the same as the Pink
Paraffin ...

Although coming in smaller bottles and costing more might be the only
difference.

Owain

Rod

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Thats right. The one you drink is liquid paraffin isn't it?

Must be hugely carcinogenic if you arer supposed to drink it.

However, 'they' stopped allowing dried fruit (raisins, etc.) to be
coated in some form of liquid paraffin some time ago. Not sure whether
the danger was cancer or something else.